Counterfeit Bill

Well, I went to Sonic this morning for an early lunch. I paid for my food and just a minute into eating my delicious premium breakfast burrito the manager came out to my vehicle, just as nice as could be and informed me that the ten dollar bill I had just paid with was not real. He handed me the bill and as soon as I looked at it I could tell it wasn't right at all. I kept the bill and paid with another one and was on my way. I just never think to look at my bills in my wallet but I sure will now. After thinking of were I had been this weekend i have concluded that it was given back to me in a 20 i broke at Krystal's in Columbia. I have looked it up and it is legal to own as long as I am the one who did not produce it. I am just going to hang on to it for a converstion piece I guess. But I am going to take it to the Sheriff's Dpt. To let them photo it or record it however they like. The fake one is on the bottom obviously. y4apu6an.jpg

After doing a little research it may actually be authentic. The date says 1950B. I have looked up images of the same 1950b bills and the Secretary of Treasury name is correct and many other things I can see. Someone said that it could indeed be a 64 year old bill that has just recently made it into circulation. I am just curious.
  • Like 1

After doing a little research it may actually be authentic. The date says 1950B. I have looked up images of the same 1950b bills and the Secretary of Treasury name is correct and many other things I can see. Someone said that it could indeed be a 64 year old bill that has just recently made it into circulation. I am just curious.

If that's the case, very nice! It looks in great shape, I would hang it on the wall in my man room if I were you.
I bet it's real. Several years ago, Wal-Mart called the Secret Service on me after I paid for my items with a $10 or $20 bill from 1934. I had just received the bill from an ATM before going shopping, and I never looked at the bills. It was as crisp as new, until the manager licked her fingers, then proceeded to rub the bill until it ripped. Anyway, after nearly an hour of inspecting, the Secret Service determined it was real and let me go. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 2

Not sure if serious...

Ok, saw new replies. Was serious.

That appears to be a legit 10 dollar bill. 1950 series B. They probably tried a counterfeit marking pen on it, which won't work properly on old paper money like this. If the material feels right, I'd say it's likely legit, and has been sitting in someone's drawer/mason jar for the past 60 some odd years.

Hang on to it just because it's a cool old piece of currency. Or spend it somewhere that people aren't all trusting of the iodine marking pens.

Edited by cj0e
  • Like 1

That bill looks authentic to me, albeit it's impossible to say for sure from just a picture.  The uneven cut around the margins was pretty common in those days and the printing looks crisp enough to be the real thing as well.  Since none of the old bills have any of the security features of today's notes, they are sometimes mistaken as counterfeit.

At first glance, it appears to be a real 10 dollar bill to me. Now, granted, I've owned/managed a retail business for 30 years, and have worked a few thousand daily deposits, and it appears to be the older version of the ten dollar bill.

A few years ago, one of my nephews, who was working for us at the time (and was under 25 years old), told one of our other employees that she had taken a counterfeit $50 bill. The lady was terribly upset, and came up with the bill & apologized to me. The problem was, my idiot nephew had never seen the older version of a $50 bill, so he "knew" it was counterfeit. As usual, he was wrong. He was just too young to have ever seen what $50 bills used to look like....  Good luck, have it checked out & let us know.

Your bank should have a marker to check it for sure. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

The markers don't work on bills that old, probably why it was returned to him in the first place ...

I saw hime mark it with the marker and just took his word but got to thinking that if it is that old then the marker may not work on it then I began doi g some research. It does feel odd in your hands. If doesn't feel fiberous like a current bill. It feels smooth.

I saw hime mark it with the marker and just took his word but got to thinking that if it is that old then the marker may not work on it then I began doi g some research. It does feel odd in your hands. If doesn't feel fiberous like a current bill. It feels smooth.

That's the one thing I don't think we have changed in making money is the paper itself; you may indeed have a fake bill on your hands.

• Like 1
[quote name="No_0ne" post="1161650" timestamp="1403489927"]The markers don't work on bills that old, probably why it was returned to him in the first place ...[/quote]had no idea...but a bank should be able to help regardless Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

looks real to me, I would let the sonic manager know it was real but still keep it.

I have an old 1950,  50 dollar bill in my safety deposit box that doesn't have In God We Trust.  I thought it was strange but I believe I found that was added later.

Also note the G and 7 are a match.  The letter and number combo always matches the place in the alphabet.

Also Old bills will/may fail the pen test places like walmart use.  I have seen it, on good legit bills.

Edited by vontar
Guest princeshoko
I can say if it is fake the cops will keep it and say they are sending it to secret service. So if you wantto keep it dont take it to the police.

Also it looks quite real to me but im a coin guy not a bill collector.
I got a bunch of 1950s $20 bills from the bank a few months ago, that looked just like those (with a 20 obviously). They were all cut just a little bit wrong (margins weren't correct). I always ask for "old" at the bank and spend to circulate it around (gets lots of funny looks from the 16 year olds at chic-fil-a handing them a $2). Anyway ... I got $120 worth. Tried to spend it somewhere and got told it was fake. Tried to go a different place, they used one of them markers on it; told me it was fake. Went back to the bank and they laughed. They said it was all real money and the markers aren't good for checking the older bills (something about the paper). Anyway, they traded me for new bills to avoid the hassle. I guess I'll stick to passing $2 bills and $1 coins to the young'ens.