West Tn

none

Traveled to Memphis today for work will be staying a few days. One thing I noticed is that people seem to be a bit more aloof. Absent are thank yous when you open doors for someone. Seems like there is just a different feel to the area. Last week I was in Knoxville for two days for work and people were very pleasant so is my perception off or are people just ruder the farther west you go?
Guest Rogerd
[quote name="wcd" post="1164405" timestamp="1404265556"]Traveled to Memphis today for work will be staying a few days. One thing I noticed is that people seem to be a bit more aloof. Absent are thank yous when you open doors for someone. Seems like there is just a different feel to the area. Last week I was in Knoxville for two days for work and people were very pleasant so is my perception off or are people just ruder the farther west you go?[/quote] No it's just the Memphis area, it's more of a annexed Mississippi area than a Tennessee area.......:D
Guest kingarmory

Memphis is a great place to test your door locks and car alarms, not exactly a place known for its "Southern Hospitality" ;)

Rural west tn is good but the cities seem to be overrun. It seems that Memphis is reaching East. The more affluent are moving out. Oakland was a small town about 45 minutes from Memphis 15 years ago and now it seems to be one of the more affluent suburbs. Big houses and bad traffic that was Germantown a few years ago. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union...... Edited by jtmaze

This should bring to our attention the tyranny that cities and population centers hold... Out of the 30+ counties in TN, four vote for Obongo, and he still gets 40% of the vote? This really sticks in my craw. Four counties over-ride what would've been more of a 70-30 vote...

This should bring to our attention the tyranny that cities and population centers hold... Out of the 30+ (or 95) counties in TN, four vote for Obongo, and he still gets 40% of the vote? This really sticks in my craw. Four counties over-ride what would've been more of a 70-30 vote...

Edited by bvarnell

Rural west tn is good but the cities seem to be overrun. It seems that Memphis is reaching East. The more affluent are moving out. Oakfield was a small town about 45 minutes from Memphis 15 years ago and now it seems to be one of the more affluent suburbs. Big houses and bad traffic that was Germantown a few years ago. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

I think you probably intended to say Oakland instead of Oakfield, not many big houses in Oakfield although these back country roads now have a lot of traffic. A lot more than when I grew up in Deanburg, of course the roads there were all gravel way back then.

You are right. Oakland not Oakfield. Sand rd in Deanburg is paved now. When I was growing up in Deanburg only 3 paved roads. Now they all are. Including Roberts rd., Julian Ln, those that have more than 1 house on them. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
Guest kingarmory

Nah, much love for the Memphis crowd, its just a town with an abnormally high amount of "rough areas".  Don't look at it as "Memphis", more like "FOB Elvis" ;)

• Moderators
[quote name="kingarmory" post="1164853" timestamp="1404358463"]Nah, much love for the Memphis crowd, its just a town with an abnormally high amount of "rough areas". Don't look at it as "Memphis", more like "FOB Elvis" ;)[/quote] That is just damned funny. Bravo. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the difference comes from being a "city" vs. a "large town"

Look at any urban area (Chicago, NY, Philly) my guess is the inhabitants are more aloof and less friendly than the nice folks who make up the greater Knoxville area.

On the other end of the population density spectrum, head out to Del Rio and I'll bet the locals are very aloof when viewing outsiders...

I have actually spent some time in Del Rio and it is not bad. My cousin has a hunting ranch about 45 minutes NW of there and the people were always friendly when I was there regularly(5-6) times a year. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

This should bring to our attention the tyranny that cities and population centers hold... Out of the 30+ counties in TN, four vote for Obongo, and he still gets 40% of the vote? This really sticks in my craw. Four counties over-ride what would've been more of a 70-30 vote...

You can't really look at it that way though. Each county has a different ratio. Although you can say each county fell one side or the other, that's really meaningless. It's quite telling to look at a purple map and those counties don't stand out quite as much. (I tried looking for one for just TN but you're going to have to work with the whole US).

PurpleAmericaPosterAll50_small.gif

Link for bigger: http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/PurpleAmericaPosterAll50.gif

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

Oh great, another trash Memphis thread. Sure makes us Memphis gun owners feel welcome.

Not real sure where the bashing of Memphis Gun owners came in?  My simple observation was that based on my exposure coming from the Midwest that things in West TN are very different.  Sorry just my observation and personal experiences.  When I am given a dirty look and racial remarks are mumbled by the person when I simply open a door for there  is a problem in my book.  Last time I checked it was the polite thing to do to open a door for a woman.  Guess I wont make that mistake again if the need ever arises to return to the area.  Again not stating that everyone is that way however I encounted more than a few rude people that Made me feel like I was in Chicago.

On the otherhand I did meet quite a few nice people around Selmer.  Specifically one person who is the local Buford Pusser historian.  Whom I spent about an hour speaking to about the Mcnairy Count legend. 

Again not stating all people in Memphis are rude but my own observation is that the next time I have to go there I will elect to stay a bit east of Memphis and make the drive.