Know what the carry laws are in every state you carry.

'Honest mistake' leads to Philly mother facing three years on gun charge.

A Philadelphia mother of two is facing three years in prison after she mistakenly entered New Jersey, where she was stopped for a traffic violation and found in possession of a handgun loaded with hollow-point bullets.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/16/honest-mistake-leads-to-philly-mother-facing-three-years-on-gun-charge/

Don't violate traffic laws and you won't get pulled over.  Though "unsafe lane change" sounds like either she swerved across several lanes or that cop was really bored. 

This is a common tactic used to pull someone over to look for other violations that can lead to an arrest, etc. My guess is the latter of the two scenarios was the case. 

That is a pretty stiff penalty for someone without a violent felony criminal record or other criminal activity.  At most, the lady would be fined here IF she did not have a license and was carrying in public.  With the new vehicle carry law, she wouldn't need a license in her own car.

The hollow point bullet statement caught my interest also.

Illegal in Jersey cept at home or "authorized" range, or during travel from purchase place to home, or home to range.

Illegal to otherwise possess them period, let alone to have in gun in public even if you're one of the few favored ones in the state with a carry permit. So it's a separate charge.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Raw deal for an honest person!

Yeah, if they can't get the charges reduced, a felony conviction will be the gift that keeps on giving the rest of her life. And the way I read it, if they don't reduce the charge, judge has no discretion regarding the sentence.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, good luck with that.

I'll be extremely surprised if he comes to her defense.

In their minds, if you're are black and have a HCP or licence then you're a black republican right winger, Uncle Tom or Aunt Jemimah. Liberal blacks hate conservative blacks alot worse than they do old fart conservative white men becuase they don't tow the liberal line like they're supposed to.

'Honest mistake' leads to Philly mother facing three years on gun charge.

A Philadelphia mother of two is facing three years in prison after she mistakenly entered New Jersey.....

This is the reason I frequently keep up to date on the carry laws of the states I enter.  If you are a passenger on an aircraft which is dirverted due to weather, the airline can land you in trouble.  You could be arrested after planning a legal trip with a weapon to your destination state, if the airline changes flight plans and lands in a state you can't legally carry in.  I will NEVER mistakenly or otherwise enter new jersey.

“People believe that your gun license should be treated like your driver’s license. Right now there’s a national law being proposed that would mandate that all states recognize other states licenses,” he told the station. “It’s still pending, but it’s needed for people like this. I’m calling that bill Shaneen’s law.”
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/20/pa-mother-concealed-carry-permit-faces-3-years-nj-/

Won't happen; the states won't stand still for it. The Feds don't recognize a right to bear arms for an individual; States Rights is all we have that protects us now from the Feds.