Trip to Washington, D.C.

Slasher

We are thinking about a family trip to Washington, D.C. and I wanted to get some advice.  Any tips on what to do or what not to do, where to go or where not to go.  We will probably be staying in Alexandria and then taking the subway in to D.C.  I don't think I can carry out there so I may not take anything at all as much as I hate to say that.

I'm sure we will see the Smithsonian and all of the National landmarks but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks

I hear that the Spy Museum is awesome, but I haven't been yet. The same goes for the bureau of engraving and printing.

Check out the Library of Congress located behind the Capitol. They have a nice exhibit of artifacts, including Lincoln's personal effects from the night he was assasinated. They also have some of George Washington's school textbooks.

Contact your Congressman's or either Senator's office and find out if they have any Capitol tours while you're there. You'll start at their office in the neighboring office buildings and ride their private subway tram over to the Capitol. You'll be with other Tennesseeans and in a smaller group than the regualr tours, and led by an intern. I lucked out and went when Sen. Frist was the Senate Majority Leader so we also got to see the SML's office which is not part of the regular tour. It has the fireplace where the British troops burned books from the Library of Congress which suubsequently burned down the Capitol during the War of 1812.

NRA museum is amazing Definetly call your congressman to get a scheduled appointment of the Capitol, Acess to the house gallery, White house tours and the bureau of engraving and printing - its a brief tour and cool to watch. Its on the same street as the Holocaust museum which is a must visit. Get tix in advance - it stays busy. If you have small kids or less time, you can just go in without a ticket and see the childrens display in the ground floor which is excellent and age appropriate. Be sure to visit the Jefferson memorial - many people skip it since its a little off the Mall Also if you are driving to DC, take the time to visit Monticello, Colonial Williamsburg and if you have extra time, Madisons home. Also visit Mt Vernon. Washington metro is easy to use. Alexandria is nice.

my oldest grandson went with the safety patrol this past June.  I was so jealous of what he got to see.

Try to see as much as you can.  I don't know how it can be a bad deal no matter what you prioritize as must see.  It is all must see.

The Mall and the War memorials there would be on top of my list.  Mostly to show respect to old vets coming through.

All good advice here.  I second the Holocaust Museum.  I have been to the Spy Museum a couple of times and it is pretty interesting.  I wouldn't miss any of the monuments for it, but if you happen to be near it, it's worth a visit.

Also, if you're kids are old enough, a great way to see the city is via a Segway.  My mom (62) and another friend did one and it was great.  You don't go in anywhere, but it is a great way to get a lay of land so to speak and you get some history about each place along the way.

Thanks for all of the great advice.  Did any of you carry or take anything with you.  I know you couldn't in DC but if you stayed out of DC what about then?

You are fine carrying in VA (they honor TN permit), just make sure you don't hit MD or DC with it on you, so if you are driving and hit a bridge, you are going to hit one or the other.  When I visit my parents in MD, I have to disarm at the McDs right before the bridge.

Edited by hkusp40cal

My favorite is the National Archives. They are open late and if you wait til an hour or so before they close you can have some alone time with the Declaration of Independence. 

They let me fog the glass for a solid half hour... only had two other people come by during that time.

No carry allowed... stay in tourist areas, use cabs, stay alert... treat it like you are travelling outside the country and you'll be fine.