Traveling by car from TN to NJ for an outing

You need to call the attorney general's office for NJ. When you talk to someone have them email the requirements and carry them with you in case you are pulled over. The police don't always know the laws concerning this stuff. The attorney general in most, if not all states has the answer to carry questions concerning their state. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to call the attorney general's office for NJ. When you talk to someone have them email the requirements and carry them with you in case you are pulled over. The police don't always know the laws concerning this stuff. The attorney general in most, if not all states has the answer to carry questions concerning their state. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there is an exception to that, it will probably be a northeastern state.  Most likely New Joisey.

Edit:  Or Massasuxetts.

Sorry about my spelling.  I know it's terrible.

Edited by Clod Stomper

I wouldn't even trust that in NJ, and in some other states.  AG's are attorneys, but also government officials and politicians not to be trusted. I wouldn't trust anything a New Jersey government official sent me by email.

I go between TN and NY for travel. Through MD the gun is unloaded and put in a case separate from the cabin of the car. The gun is dropped off with another gun owner in PA so I can legally stay in NY while I'm there. There is a lot of mileage between here and there. Your car can break down, you need to make stops, and you are out of your element. I'd take that peace as far as I could LEGALLY.
From the NJ AG website
http://www.nj.gov/oag/faq.htm#a5

1 Can the Attorney General or members of his/her staff provide me with legal advice?

No. The Attorney General is authorized to provide legal advice only to departments, agencies and instrumentalities of State government. State law restricts the Attorney General from providing legal advice to private citizens or organizations. This is reflected in the state law indicating that the Division of Law in the Attorney General's Office is authorized only to counsel agencies of state government. Per N.J.S.A. 52:17A-4 (e) and 52:17A-11.

5 What agency should I contact if I am transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey?

You may contact the Division of State Police, Firearms Bureau at P.O. Box 7068, West Trenton, New Jersey 08648 or call (609) 882-2000, ext. 2487. Visit the NJ State Police FAQs for related questions.

[quote name="TMF" post="1189266" timestamp="1410573789"]From first hand knowledge, they will pull you over and treat you like crap there if you are from out of state. They have these stupid things called jughandles which are the solution for not having left turns. Well, being from out of state, I was looking for the break in the median to make a left turn. Cop pulled me over for being in the left lane and acted like a child, cursing and carrying on; first thing he said as he approached my car: "What the f*** is your problem?" Only thing that calmed him down, and probably kept my car from being tossed, was my mil ID. I hate New Jersey. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] TMF, I understand the frustration. I've been ordered out of my car here in TN after I rolled through a stop sign. The officer was completely wrong for doing a pat down on me and taking my gun for the duration of searching my car. I was driving through a college campus and she said I was not allowed to have a gun on campus property. Another officer pulled up and set her straight. I was not a student and it was legal to use a city road to drive through the campus. That does not keep me from driving my car on a TN road. There are some people that are either ignorant of rules or are ignorant of how to conduct themselves in society. Unfortunately, these people are in positions to deal with the general public.

TMF, I understand the frustration. I've been ordered out of my car here in TN after I rolled through a stop sign. The officer was completely wrong for doing a pat down on me and taking my gun for the duration of searching my car. I was driving through a college campus and she said I was not allowed to have a gun on campus property. Another officer pulled up and set her straight. I was not a student and it was legal to use a city road to drive through the campus. That does not keep me from driving my car on a TN road. There are some people that are either ignorant of rules or are ignorant of how to conduct themselves in society. Unfortunately, these people are in positions to deal with the general public.

Well it was a good thing that at least you were in Tennessee when that happened and not in some New England state. You would have probably gone to jail and booked and had a trial date to clear up the incident. I wish police depts. including college and other depts had to take and pass a test on gun laws. Seems like the other officer new their laws but the first needs to study and pass a test before confronting the public in a state where there are 1/2 million citizens with handgun carry permits. Now they need to be aware that every citizen who is not a felon or court ruled mentally ill can legally keep a loaded gun in their vehicle.

[quote name="K191145" post="1189930" timestamp="1410795435"]Well it was a good thing that at least you were in Tennessee when that happened and not in some New England state. You would have probably gone to jail and booked and had a trial date to clear up the incident. I wish police depts. including college and other depts had to take and pass a test on gun laws. Seems like the other officer new their laws but the first needs to study and pass a test before confronting the public in a state where there are 1/2 million citizens with handgun carry permits. Now they need to be aware that every citizen who is not a felon or court ruled mentally ill can legally keep a loaded gun in their vehicle.[/quote] I'm originally from NY. Kind of funny how quickly I adjusted down here. It seems weird to be without my sidearm when I go back. I agree about the guilty until proven innocent part.

Well, you'd be fine in two of them. Btw, Jersey ain't in New England. :)

map-20110125.png

- OS

Vermont and New Hampshire, question is, how would you get to them without traveling through a gun "unfriendly" state? I wouldn't feel comfortable going through New York with a firearm no matter what the law says. You could follow all the laws for transporting a gun and they will find a way to charge you with a violation if they don't like you. New Jersey? How about the North East then?

Vermont and New Hampshire, question is, how would you get to them without traveling through a gun "unfriendly" state? I wouldn't feel comfortable going through New York with a firearm no matter what the law says. You could follow all the laws for transporting a gun and they will find a way to charge you with a violation if they don't like you. New Jersey? How about the North East then?

Have the paperwork printed out to produce for them on demand. You're allowed a few brief stops on your way through if it is continuous driving. You are not allowed to stay overnight in non reciprocal states. My advice is to still contact the AG. Interesting that the website quoted before from NJ said to contact state police. My carry info book says the AG

Interesting that the website quoted before from NJ said to contact state police. My carry info book says the AG

Which is a pretty good indication that the AG wants to deliberately keep it vague and confusing for the average person, thereby increasing your chances of being in violation without even knowing it.

There's no reason to even consider carrying a firearm in any of these northeastern blue-state hell-holes-- and even less reason to go there in the first place.

You're a gun owner, and unless you are active duty LEO with local connections, they hate you... do the math.

Edited by tartanphantom

Which is a pretty good indication that the AG wants to deliberately keep it vague and confusing for the average person, thereby increasing your chances of being in violation without even knowing it.
There's no reason to even consider carrying a firearm in any of these northeastern blue-state hell-holes-- and even less reason to go there in the first place.
You're a gun owner, and unless you are active duty LEO with local connections, they hate you... do the math.

I was thinking the same thing about the vague part. I wonder if it's incompetence or purposeful.

I feel for everyone that has family that lives in a non-gun state. The majority of my family lives in Illinois and Indiana. I told my family in Illinois that they had to see me in Indiana because there was no way that I was stepping foot in Illinois. My wife and I carry for the protection of my family and the neighborhood that some of my family lives is infamous for car jackings, and other issues. They asked me why I was not going to come see them and I told them if my gun can't go neither will I.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been following the Shaneen  Allen case, it was enough to make me stay away from NJ if I'm ever in the US again.

Can you legally carry a gun in the U.S.? If not there are a few states that will throw you in jail you need to be aware of; Tennessee is one of them.