Receipt Checking at Costco - Gone Bad

R_Bert

Receipt checks are just one of the many reasons I don't shop at the big box stores. Another is that I have price checked and have never found a single thing that was cheaper there. I have never been able to finish a 55 gallon barrel of peanut butter before the expiration date, either, so it's even more of waste of money. 

Seriously?  You skinny slacker.   :yum:

What's worse is exiting through the scanners and have them go off and waiting there for someone as if you're a thief. Since they don't know you from Adam, what's the best solution?

What's worse?  Stopping when the alarm goes off so you can be treated like a thief.  That's worse to me.

If you paid for everything in your cart, ignore the damn alarm.  Continue to your car and leave.  Seriously!

When the little old lady at Walmart asks to see my receipt, at most I'll wave it at her if it's in my hand.  If I get sass, I offer to call 911 and wait there for the police to come and investigate the suspected shoplifting.  I haven't gotten any takers yet.

You don't have to put up with this crap!

• Like 2

Costco looks to see how many items are on the receipt, e.g., 7 and count that number of items in your basket.
For those who think Costco and similar stores are just about "bulk" items like peanut butter; well they sale computers, televisions, washers and dryers, refrigerators, mobile phones, safes, tools, lighting, furniture, etc etc. Generally speaking, their prices are awesome & you can't beat their warranty.

They also sell those things. :)

• Like 1
That position is a joke. Unless you have 1 or 2 items there is no way they verify your cart vs the receipt. Most times they put the highlighted mark without even looking,

Sounds like someone thought they had a real job of authority and took it a bit too far.
  • Like 2

After discovering the GFS store, where we can buy discounted bulk food items at about the same price without a membership, the wife and I stay out of Sam's and Costco.

Well at least at Sams I can walk around with my Glock on my side. I usually get a better deal on Maxwell House there when they have it at the OHB store in West Nashville and they do have some frozen food items at a better price, besides that there's not much I need at those places. I never gave it much thought about them glancing in my cart and reciept but i've never had any trouble with being accused of stealing. I would however have a big problem if one of them ever put their paws on me, there will be an ugly incident if that ever happened. I have a "don't touch" policy I will strictly enforce. Not saying the gun will come out but they will get touched back alot harder.

They have good deals on meat and produce, specially if you want to eat healthy. I can't always make the farmers market on the weekends so I buy from them. I'll wait for the video before making judgements, I have many friends that work security/staff and they usually let a suspected perp go, get description so the guy can be banned from the store. They mainly wanna do there job and not have to file paperwork. I suspect this customer had a bad day and probably put his hands on an employee and won a prize he didn't want. It's policy, if he didn't like it then don't shop there. I personally like Costco's business philosophy. Good wages and he puts a cap on how much he will charge the customer above what he paid for the product - no price gauging which does not make him popular with his shareholders.

I don't see why folks get so upset about the receipt checking thing. It isn't that big of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it usually isn't that big a deal... Unless there are 15 people in the line to get out and you know darn well the receipt checker isn't really doing anything but preventing me from getting my package of 5000 hot dogs in the fridge.

• Like 1

I don't see why folks get so upset about the receipt checking thing. It isn't that big of a deal.

It used to bother me until I decided I wouldn't let it. The only time it gets me is when there's a steady line to get out because the checker's taking too darn long.

Because I paid my money at the cashier, It's my stuff now and personally it is an intrusion and suggestive of wrong-doing.  Why not pat someone down as they leave the store?  Would you stand still for that......it just takes a few seconds.

• Like 1

Because I paid my money at the cashier, It's my stuff now and personally it is an intrusion and suggestive of wrong-doing. Why not pat someone down as they leave the store? Would you stand still for that......it just takes a few seconds.

Then don't shop there. Kinda ridiculous going into a store knowing what their policies are, then bitching about it when you have to adhere to those policies. Seems to me like the solution is simple.

• Like 1

It's also kinda ridiculous going nekkid when Walmart is the only place within 50 miles where you can buy a pair of jeans.

My parents live out in the sticks.  Closest walmart is nearly an hour.  Nearest town is about 20 mins.  They have become big fans of Amazon.  Nonetheless, their house, their rules.