Needing to add a wheel gun to the collection...thoughts??

MPGlock

Can't go wrong with a 686.  Ruger produces excellent revolvers as well.

234cfde3-3ccd-46c8-b4de-ef5eccd314ed_zps

My question; why doesn't Smith...........or Wesson drop the fluted cylinder option on most of their big bore revolvers. The "fluting" process has to add cost, with no benefit IMHO. I can understand shaving weight on an ultra light concealment piece. But Target and Hunting Firearms?

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel

Tricky, the Ruger 44mags are built stronger than the Smiths, but the sp's and gp's are not necessarily any stronger in the frames. The cylinders are all forged though.

Which .44 Ruger are you referring? SBH SBH(SL) RH RH(SL) SRH?  All of them?  

Stronger how? Able to withstand higher pressure loads?

I'll actually concede the Super Redhawk. No debate from me on that one.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel

Which .44 Ruger are you referring? SBH SBH(SL) RH RH(SL) SRH? All of them?
Stronger how? Able to withstand higher pressure loads?
I'll actually concede the Super Redhawk. No debate from me on that one.

I believe it is limited to the Super Red Hawk and the New Model Black Hawk; they are thicker in the top strap. They kind of inherited this from 45lc and 454 models. True Ruger only loads "officially" apply only to 45lc loads.
If money is no object, and you are wanting a nice range gun, then I'd go with the many recommendations for the S&W model 686, but could also be persuaded to go with the new Ruger GP100 Match Champion model.

If money is tight, you can't go wrong with a good ole S&W model 64 or 65 police exchange revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to go a cheaper route, try to find a Ruger Security Six.  Built like a tank to last your grandchildren's lifetimes!  They are built much stronger than the vaunted S&W K Frame!  If you are looking for a great shooter, look for a Colt.  but Colts are a bit on the delicate side.  Still they have the best triggers of any revolver out of the box, I have ever shot and the are superbly accurate!

Hard to beat these two:  Ruger Security Six 4" and S&W 19-3 2 1/2" .  The Ruger is probably the better range/woods gun.  Please ignore the p220 in the photo.

[url=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lindalindaee/media/pistols/MiscRandP013_zps483a742b.jpg.html]MiscRandP013_zps483a742b.jpg[/URL]

Edited by golfnfish
  • 8 months later...

I have a 686 - 6" and it's a great gun. I just bought a Ruger GP 100 match and love it. If I were going for one or the other it would be the GP 100 match. Easy to sight, really nice double action trigger, and fun to plink with.

Another S&W 686 here. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Older style, pre-lock. Nickel plated.

4" .357 Mag.

It's my first revolver, and my first carry gun. Kinda big on me as I was probably 140 lbs back then :)

357.jpg

LOVE my 4" 686 plus:
BDB1891F-orig_zps096f6187.jpg

Also love my M&P R8:
a7547b5e-a945-4721-a41a-a6f79a9f2ad1_zps

Both are fantastic and hopfully will never be sold.
E0A6EAF0-orig_zps460e5d54.jpg Edited by Wicked1911
  • Like 1