Needing to add a wheel gun to the collection...thoughts??

MPGlock

Thought I'd throw this out there.............after digging through my collection in the safe of poly 9mms, 45s, 380s, the good ol 1911s, the occasional AR, 10/22, and trusty 870s, I realized life is lacking. I need a wheel gun to add to the mix and spice things up a bit. What do ya'll recommend for a first one? Don't really care about barrel length (thinking more of a range gun) and caliber thinking of 38 or 357 due to ammo prices. Any recommendations on brand/model etc?? Did I just open a can o' worms!!?? :crazy:

I am partial to S&W but there are several other brands worth owning. IMO, 22lr/22mag and 38/357 are the most practical to start with for many reasons. If I could own only one revolver it would be a S&W 65 in the 3" flavoring.
EE6EA8B0-92DB-4349-84C0-AE2E5CBD3D1F-173

• Like 2
I've got a 686 from 20 years ago still by my side, it is the finest firearm I've ever held! From day one to now, it feels like a finely tuned piece of American machinery that just has an awe about it.
So that's my vote!
Plus S&W stands by them, just sent it in for a perceived rifling chip, they replaced all 6inches of the barrel,put a new firing pin and bushing too.
Not a penny out of pocket and was 3 weeks for turnaround.
6 inch barrel makes 100yd shots easy! If you are near Knoxville I'll let you shoot it, you'll never be the same!

It is heavy though for everyday carry :) Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1

I've got a 686 from 20 years ago still by my side, it is the finest firearm I've ever held! From day one to now, it feels like a finely tuned piece of American machinery that just has an awe about it.
So that's my vote!
Plus S&W stands by them, just sent it in for a perceived rifling chip, they replaced all 6inches of the barrel,put a new firing pin and bushing too.
Not a penny out of pocket and was 3 weeks for turnaround.
6 inch barrel makes 100yd shots easy!

It is heavy though for everyday carry :)

Another vote for a 686. 1982 here.

IMG_7325_zps807d1ab1.jpg

• Like 2

Hard to go wrong with a Ruger or S&W.  For a range gun, I'd stick with a "service revolver" (GP100, or S&W K or L maybe even an N frame) with a 4" barrel.

There have been lots of former Dept. of Corrections model 10's and 64's on the market recently.

ahrends3084_zps0fa17f54.jpg

Edited by JMR1138

Nothing like a nice S&W.  My collection is short on revolvers but I will remedy that one day.  a 5 or 686 is 2nd or 3rd on my list behind a 629 and a 625.  I don't plan to carry anything other than a compact revolver so I like longer barrels on these guns.  At least 6" for me.

Edited by 10-Ring

If its a range gun go with a RUGER Blackhawk Convertible in 9MM P/.357 Magnum, you'll love it and discover just how accurate a good SA revolver can be as well. Should you desire a DA/SA revolver and want to stick with new or near new then go with a GP-100 with the 6" barrel as its added sight radius is a huge plus. This is why one of my favorite revolvers is a 1970 vintage S&W M-27 6" Barrel. Should you desire a .22LR then I recommend a RUGER Single Six convertible in 22LR/22 Magnum, but if you really want a fun gun go with the RUGER Bearcat in 22 LR, I love mine.

Edited by TNWNGR
  • Like 1

If ya really want to learn how to shoot a double action revolver double action (...and you should....); it's hard to beat a model 13 smith or its stainless steel brother in a 4 inch barrel... You can find them for reasonable prices if ya look around a bit... They simply can't be beat for ability to clean up and smooth the action and for general handling...

You can pay lots more money for a model 19 or a 66, but ya cant find a better handling revolver... I've got a 3 inch round butt from the original run that i learned to shoot double action with... They can't be beat....

More than that, the 357 mag is the equal of any "modern" plastic gun caliber right up to the 10 mm... We shoot 'em all....

Get ya a good single action after ya get the double action wheel gun....

My pet right now is a stainless ruger old model vaquero with a 3 3/4 inch barrel loaded with the old long keith 173 grain bullet in 38 special cases over 12 grains of 2400... They are easy to shoot, superbly accurate, and pack a big whallop (...about 1100 fps...)...

leroy

Ifyou can run across one at a decent price, (prices are climbing rapidly) I would recommend a model 28 Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman for a first revlover range gun. If you have a bigger budget and want a shinier one, hold out for a model 27. The N frame pistols are much easier to shoot welll than a J or K frame magnum. I've never had an L frame, but I suspect they'd work well too.

Well, I guess I could stir the pot and recommend 3 0r 4 Tauri.  After thinking about it, I've got less money in the 6 Taurus revolvers than the 2 target "N" frames.  I love sqeezing off rounds on all my revolvers but for the money  you get a lot of bang for your buck with the Tauri! Jus' sayin'!

Ifyou can run across one at a decent price, (prices are climbing rapidly) I would recommend a model 28 Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman for a first revlover range gun. If you have a bigger budget and want a shinier one, hold out for a model 27. The N frame pistols are much easier to shoot welll than a J or K frame magnum. I've never had an L frame, but I suspect they'd work well too.

The 686 is very Python-ish in it's handling but is lighter than the M-27/M-28. Prior to the introduction of the 686/586 a very popular custom revolver set up was a S&W M-19 with a Colt Python barrel installation, it looked great, was affordable and handled well. IIRC it was called a SMOLT. As much as I love my S&W K & N frames I never took a serious liking to the L frame. I really like the GP-100 though, even though it doesn't;t look as good as a 686 or Python.

I will mention a couple of additional RUGER used gun's to seriously consider. A 4" Security Six or a Speed Six. They are somewhat collectable but still affordable and are the best looking RUGER DA wheel guns ever made.  

• Like 2