which revolver for concealed carry

terry274

I have decided I would like to buy a revolver, probably a .38 special. This will be for concealed carry. Leaning toward a .38 due to lower price than a .357 and less recoil. I have not shot a revolver in years and plan on going to a gun shop soon to try some out. In the mean time, I would like some opinions on the following:

Smith & Wesson 638 Airweight 38 priced a little over $400

Taurus 85 Revolver Small 38 Special 2" Steel Stainless priced around $365

Charter Arms Undercover Revolver 38 Special 2" Steel Stainless around $320

Ruger® LCRâ„¢ .38 Special Double-Action Revolver around $450

What do y'all think of these guns? Any others that I should add to the list? Any guns to specifically avoid?

Thanks for your time,

Terry

I've owned and shot them all quiet a bit.  

IMHO Taurus quality control in their revolvers has gone downhill since the early 90's.  I have seen so many with poor cylinder lock cuts that many will turn backwards.  Taurus 85's I had from the early 90's were not like this.

IMHO Charters today are gritty marginal revolvers.

Smiths are fine as are the Rugers. Although out of the box the Ruger LCR trigger is hard to beat in terms of smoothness I think a slicked up S&W is the way to go for carry.  The S&W carries "smaller" than the LCR.

Given the choices you listed I would go in order:  Smith, Ruger, Charter, Taurus    

If you are fully competent and confident with a revolver the S&W you've mentioned is a good choice. If not then do yourself a favor and go with either an SP101 or M-60 so you can shoot the gun often enough to get good with it. Yep, they're heavier but they'll hold together a lot better than an Airweight Smith.

You should learn how to inspect revolvers prior to purchasing one. There are several web sites that will give you the skinny. I would go with the Smith & Wesson first, The Ruger second and the Charter Arms third.  Some people suggest getting a .357. That way you can shoot 38 specials and .357. That is an option but I have a Smith and Wesson model 36 and all I shoot it 38 special. I don't even bother with +P. Here is an article by Chuck Hawks:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/wheel_guns.htm

Edited by Will Carry

I have quite a few small revolvers and I would pick the Smiths over them all. My LCR has a decent trigger but I have been known to short stroke it a lot. The Smith also has a much better aftermarket following for speed loaders, holsters, and grips. While the airweights and the LCRs carry well they have a heavy recoil. A 20oz model 36/40/49/640/60/639 carries without much more effort and will shoot circles around the airweights. I also don't care for shrouded hammers but that is my personal preference; it takes the worst factor of the chief special and the worst factor of the centennial model and combines them to the bodyguards.

After researching for years I bought an old Charter Arms because they are slightly smaller than a j frame and their 16oz weight is a nice compromise between an airweight and a 20oz steel revolver.
A6DF20EE-AA90-40BA-BB03-29B9F752A8BB-121

Edited by Patton

The Smith would be my choice.  You might also check out the 442/642 unless you're wanting the ability to cock the hammer.   I carry a 642 about 90% of the time.  

Another vote for the 442/642. I pocket my 442 anytime i'm running out or can't carry my full size. It goes in a black hills leather pocket holster.

I'd also prefer the enclosed design of the 442 over the 638, all manner of lint gets in the barrel of the revolver, even holstered. Wouldn't want to deal with anything falling down and getting in the way of the hammer. Just my :2cents:

Guest TheSilverFox
I have a LCR and really like it. My daughter carrys a 642. I would carry either of them without a second thought. Unless the LCR market has changed, there isn't much aftermarket stuff like for the 642. I haven't checked recently and I've owned the LCR a couple years now. When I first bought it, I was going to change the grip but couldn't find anything. I then realized how good the factory grip was if you have arthritis. Needless to say, the grip remains unchanged.

Coke or Pepsi? I prefer the Ruger LCR in .357 for the extra couple ounces of weight and the covered back strap with the Hogue Tamer Grips. In my opinion, it is the best double action .38 Special revolver ever made (even though chambered in .357). Then again, I'm a Pepsi guy. When shooting .38 Special and .38 +P, it gets the job done. I like the trigger...some folks don't. I find the stock Smith j-frame double action horrendous.  

You can't go wrong with a Smith j-frame or a Ruger LCR series revolver. It all boils down to personal preference. 

I wanted to let everyone know which gun I chose. It was the Smith & Wesson 442. It was a tough choice. I really liked the Ruger but the 442 has a slight advantage as far as being concealable. I like the look of the stainless version but felt the darkness of the 442 was a plus for keeping it hidden. Shot 50 rounds at the gun range and was pleased with the gun .
  • Like 2

I wanted to let everyone know which gun I chose. It was the Smith & Wesson 442. It was a tough choice. I really liked the Ruger but the 442 has a slight advantage as far as being concealable. I like the look of the stainless version but felt the darkness of the 442 was a plus for keeping it hidden. Shot 50 rounds at the gun range and was pleased with the gun .

Congrats! There was really no way to screw up between those two.

The question is, can you shoot a snubby?  Efrem Zimbalist Jr. could shoot the gun out of a man's hand at 100 yards with a snubby.  Shooting a snubby takes dedication. You will spend twice as much time at the range learning the "art of snub". The reward will be great!

In the past I have owned S&W model's 442 and 642.  I have since sold both guns and now own a Ruger LCR .357.  I like this gun much better than the s&w.  To me it is much more accurate past 7yds than the Smith & Wesson's.  I carry the gun with .38 special +P ammo.  The .357 ammo I find too much for the gun. 

In the past I have owned S&W model's 442 and 642.  I have since sold both guns and now own a Ruger LCR .357.  I like this gun much better than the s&w.  To me it is much more accurate past 7yds than the Smith & Wesson's.  I carry the gun with .38 special +P ammo.  The .357 ammo I find too much for the gun.

That extra 2oz of the LCR's really matters. I bet you could shoot circles around your LCR with my 24oz 640 as long as it had Specials. People think I am crazy when I tell them how important weight is to the accuracy of small revolvers. I do wish I still had my original 15oz 642 though; they carry so well.
The S&W 442 is always a good choice but I'd suggest you supplement it with a well worn M-36 or 640 as you'll add years to the life span of the Airweight in doing so. FWIW one of my favorite J Frame set up's has always been a bobbed hammer M-36.