M1 Carbine

A.J. Holst

I'm at a cross roads.

I don't hunt or shoot past 100 yards, so my carbine is perfect for home defense and zombie like scenarios.

Ammo is a little pricey but I don't burn through a bunch so it's not painful to slowly build up reserves.

Spare parts are plentiful so I could also slowly get stuff to "re-arsenal" down the road.

I can replace the front hand guard with rail from Fulton Armory and invest in a good quality optic, though it would be in front of the action. Is this a good set up option?

Or I buy a modern carbine in a more popular rifle calibe and add the optics?
Home defense doesn’t require optics. What kind of M1 do you have? Is it reliable, have you shot it much? Do you have ammo other than FMJ; does it feed okay with that ammo?

I have an M1 carbine, but it’s more of a collector’s firearm. I use a couple of modern rifles as my “go to” long guns, but handguns are my first line of home defense.

As far as reliability - perfection with both fmj and jsp

I'm ok to 50, my friend is superb to 150, so in capable hands...

I'm an about 99% it's s a Bavarian import, Intrac's import stamp is well done on the underside of the barrel, slightly rear of the front site band.

1943 Underwood Receiver / 1944 Inland Barrel and even an RMC handguard.

The only issue is fully loaded 30 round mags sag in the well, no issues with the 15s

The 15 round tend to be more reliable anyway....

With modern ammo (Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense) the M1 is more effective now than ever before. It may not be uber-modern and sexy , or look cool on the cover of Recoil magazine, but the M1 carbine is still a reliable and accurate gun in the zero to 100 yard range. Would I suggest you buy one over a new AR ? No simply because the AR is a more modular design and it can be accessorized and customized easier. But if you already have an M1 or can get one for a good price, they are solid performers....and always have been if you actually hit what you are shooting at....

Now your other thread (25-50 yards) makes more sense.  Think of this - are you likely to have to take a shot for home defense that will exceed 50 yards?  You say that your friend is 'superb' with the M1 out to 150 and that you aren't much interested in shooting beyond 100.  That sounds, to me, like your M1 in stock form will easily do everything you want it to do.  Maybe your best bet is to skip adding optics, etc. and use that money to buy more ammo for more practice?  

I see no point in buying a new repro M1 Carbine.  The allure is it being the War Baby.   

Mine is a Inland '43.  Looks like a tank rolled over it but it is the last long gun I would ever part with.  (not counting the WASR)

Bump fires like a mofo with a thirty round mag.  (can i say that here?)

Kills paper plates at 100 yards all day long.

If you have one then find a bayonet and scabbard.

• Like 5

I keep wanting to get one, but other things just always seem to get in the way.

Garufa, what think you of the new reproductions?

Not sure what a new one gets you.

Fulton Armory is producing some high end M1 carbine parts and gunsmithing services for what I assume is for competition grade pieces.

Even if you bought a ragged out tired but loyal old dog, with all the parts available (both original and re-pro to spec) and a little skill, you could bring an original back to life.

Plus the added bragging rights of learning how to "re-arsenal" an M1 Carbine from Youtube, posting on YouTube and becoming a phenome.

Keep it 30 years for your grandkids and now they're shooting a fully functioning 100 year old piece of history - if that isn't cool I don't know what is.

Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it. I'll keep her stock and ready to rock. Gotta get a bayonet...

I see no point in buying a new repro M1 Carbine.  The allure is it being the War Baby.   

Mine is a Inland '43.  Looks like a tank rolled over it but it is the last long gun I would ever part with.  (not counting the WASR)

Bump fires like a mofo with a thirty round mag.  (can i say that here?)

Kills paper plates at 100 yards all day long.

If you have one then find a bayonet and scabbard.

Very good points, Mike. Pretty much the way I feel about it as well. I just wanted to see what others might say.

I'd like to get one again. Yes, again. I had one that did resemble that tank accident of yours, but got talked out of it.

A local shop has a few in stock. Couldn't hurt to go looking.

Could it? lol

and most important if you ever buy one get a tool for working on the bolt.    If you need to change an extractor you will need to have the tool or grow a third arm.

Garufa once described changing an extractor without the tool.  I still can't figure out how he did it,  pretty sure he doesn't know either.

and most important if you ever buy one get a tool for working on the bolt.    If you need to change an extractor you will need to have the tool or grow a third arm.

Garufa once described changing an extractor without the tool.  I still can't figure out how he did it,  pretty sure he doesn't know either.

That's good to know. Thanks. I have trouble enough now with guns and tools. So where can I get a good third arm seed mix?

The planets were in alignment along with a fair bit of contorting, tongue sticking out and other similar behavior a fella makes when trying to fix something difficult..  Luckily, I was only installing an extractor as the other one had broken and come right out.

Nobody has said anything yet about reloading for the 30 Carbine. Although brass isn't real easy to find, it's easy to reload for. Lyman makes a nice mold for it and magnum type pistol powders work great.

It is easy to reload for.  I cast and reload .30 Carbine brass I find at the range.  

Funny....I have never owned a .30 Carbine.  Not sure why I load it.  I have some loaded right now with a Lyman 311359 but no longer have the mold.  I use a Lee 309-113 flat point gas check.  I got a couple hundred of these little boogers in a can somewhere.  I really have been meaning to buy me a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine some day.