I have a Problem

DWARREN123

A couple months ago I bought a Sig 1911-22, fun little gun. I really like how it handled, I have not handled a 1911 since the ARMY changed to 9mm. I never liked the issued 1911 pistols because I never had one that was worth a damn.

Well I handled a Ruger SR1911 CMD and it just felt so good that I got it, then a Taurus PT1911. The Taurus was a basic model but I then handled a Kimber Custom II, well ended up trading the Taurus in on the Kimber.

I am usually a Glock guy but since proving up the Ruger and Kimber for carry I have been carrying and shooting them.

I am in store for more 1911 style pistols?

Jeez I hope so.

Never thought I would go 1911.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 3

Check out the Sig 1911 pistols. You might just want to add one to your collection as well.

Yes sir.. I've been eyeing 1911s for a while and the Sigs are attractive. That'll prob be a future purchase.

I've decided to hold off on a purchase for a few weeks til I can figure out just exactly how much I'm going to have to spend on my girl for Christmas. Her b-day is Dec. 24.. :lol: There couldn't possibly be an easy way out in the gift department for that situation.

First, I am not a 1911 guy.  To be someone who is well into guns, I have never owned a 1911.  It is truly on my next 12 mos purchase gun purchase plan, if not sooner. 

Regarding Sigs, I am a diehard Sig guy, love'm, currently own more than I care to admit, but I have read, and read, many 1911 gun forums over the course of the past 2-3 years, for the life of me, I cannot understand why Sigs version of 1911 has no respect, and very little discussion on those boards.  I have read those forums so much so, they have kinda pushed me towards what I will likely buy, a Dan Wesson 1911 Valor.  Though not a Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, or a Colt Historical, the CZ owned Dan Wesson brand is always is in the top 5 of serious discussions as the best value 1911 amongst die hards, and its a $1500-$2000 gun.  I do read about Kimbers, Springfields, Colt (modern), Rugers, and more, but never Sigs, and I still do not why.

Can anyone enlighten us?

I like composite guns, especially Springfields... But ordered an ATI Fatboy/ compact 1911 last year and you'd be hard pressed to find me carrying any other gun now.

The main reason I stayed away from 1911s before was because of the low capacity, the fatboy holds 13 rounds in a really small frame because they double stack the mag. Stock, it was a little rough but I had T. Calhoun work it over and now I would put it up againt any Wesson or Baer any day of the week.

I don't see the problem......

I have 5 guns in the 1911 format.

GSG 1911-22 (same company that makes the SIG 1911-22)

ATI Titan SS Compact

Citadel Full Size in Brush Nickel

Citadel 9mm Compact

Randall Raider (SS copy of a Combat Commander)

Are we talking defense or fun?

For defense, imho, if you go through all 7-8 rounds of .45 in a fire fight  what makes you think 13 are gonna help?

And, just because you have 7-13 rounds (or more) and the other dude is shooting what makes you think he's as inept as you are and will miss through 

that amount of shoots fired? You started with the right caliber which is a good thing.

The fun part is spending the time and ammo learning how to shoot and hit with it by rote memory using a double tap.

I am a 1911 fan and have been since 1971. I don't think I'm gonna stop at this age.

"go through all 7 or 8 rounds"?  :rofl:

Let me know how many rounds you have left after a 3 second firefight.

The only reason there's only 13 rounds is because anything more gets into full size & impractical carry weapons.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1
I've been debating this for a few months, and looking at various forums too. The Sigs have tons of value for their price range. I've narrowed it down to four.

Springfield Loaded--priced around $750. Lifetime warranty. Nice looking 1911, not tons of features though

Sig 1911 Tacops--priced $800 and up. Lots of features like a magwell and front strap serrations

Colt XSE--priced $950. The horse is nice, but some plastic parts.

Dan Wesson Heritage--priced $1050. No MIM parts. I wish it was blue instead of stainless.

If you're proficient reloading, 2 extra mags gives you 24 rounds.

I would hope that would be enough rounds of any caliber for an close range encounter of a bad kind.

The only reason I mention reloading was the first IDPA match I ever participated in...

Two shooters had 1911s, both performed flawlessly, shooter #1 had more experience, his reloads were smooth, shooter #2 seemed to fumble and lose time under pressure with the narrow(er) mag well as compared to my "ease"  with a double stack 9

I never liked the issued 1911 pistols because I never had one that was worth a damn.

Weapons in the Army, pistols especially, are always abused and not taken care of properly.  Between the officers who don't clean them well enough between firings and the armorers who play around with them in the arms room, Army pistols get beat up pretty good.

Well the 1911-A1 pistols the ARMY had in my time were well taken care of but many were older than I was and stuff just wears out even though parts are replaced. Many of the pistols sounded like a tin can full of screws when shakened.

None were very accurate in my experience.

One big reason that I and many other 1911 guys dont like Sigs and Smith and Wesson for that matter, 1911s is they both use an external extractor. Most dont like it, including me. Also some Sig models have a more squared off slide profile which doesnt fit alot of standard 1911 holsters.