Today was almost new gun day...

TNID

Hi all.  So I stopped by Carter's Shooting Supply this evening to pick up a S&W 500 Mag that I ordered from Bud's over the weekend.  We opened up the case and there it was in all its glory.  First thing, I tried to open the cylinder for a safety check.  That was when things went downhill.  The gun was frozen up like the cylinder had been welded in place.  I wasn't too familiar with the internal lock on S&W revolvers, so we got one out of the display case for comparison and determined that there was definitely an issue with the gun.  Trigger wouldn't pull, hammer would cock, and the cylinder release wouldn't move...  Anyway, three of us worked at it for a little while, but never could get the thing to open or turn.  The guys at Carter's were very friendly and tried to help, but there wasn't much that could be done without potentially making the gun unreturnable.  I called Bud's and they are going to send a return shipping label to Carter's and get a replacement gun on the way.  

I'm guessing this sort of thing has probably happened before, but I haven't done the research just yet.  So yeah... I'm not too upset, just disappointed and thought I'd vent a little.   Thanks for reading.   :-\

Edited by TNID
Sometimes the knurled end of the crane will back itself out and be able to close but not reopen. Not sure if that's what happened here, or rather a variation where it wasn't fully tightened from the factory.

On a new gun I'd say send it back for several reasons, but if you ever think this may have a happened usually holding the cylinder released open and giving the cylindar a sharp wack will open it so it can be tightened.
  • Like 1

Sometimes the knurled end of the crane will back itself out and be able to close but not reopen. Not sure if that's what happened here, or rather a variation where it wasn't fully tightened from the factory.

On a new gun I'd say send it back for several reasons, but if you ever think this may have a happened usually holding the cylinder released open and giving the cylindar a sharp wack will open it so it can be tightened.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I've been collecting guns for quite a few years now, but my revolver experience is pretty limited.

Spot on advice. I learned this when my 19-3 started getting really hard to open. I took it to a gunsmith and he happily charged me $40 to tighten the ejector rod. By hand. And return my gun to me. :/

Spot on advice. I learned this when my 19-3 started getting really hard to open. I took it to a gunsmith and he happily charged me $40 to tighten the ejector rod. By hand. And return my gun to me. :/

Wow. Never had that happen. But glad...very glad to hear about it. I feel stupid enough when I have to have something worked on.

But seeing that done would just ruin my day!

Yea. He was within his right, and I don't deny that. However, the way he handled it really left me sour. He knew I also had other things I was planning on using him for, and I felt really taken advantage of. Like if an auto mechanic charged you his minimum 1hr labor and miscellaneous shop fees to open the hood of your car which wouldn't start, tighten the loose ground on your battery that he knew was the problem the second you brought it in, and then shut the hood and cashed your check.

While technically not wrong, I'll never let that ...individual... ever get near one of my guns again. I will also not reveal his name, as I just don't think I should trash the guy. I have two friends that have used his services and both were happy. I guess I just had an extra dose of "I'm the biggest idiot ever. Please take hours of my labor for your finger twist." on my face that day, and he saw it.

Sorry for the threadcrap... hope your new 500 shows up soon and that it's everything you dreamed! They're awesome pieces! Edited by musicman

I am a "Service and repair man" or "Mechanic" not a "tech".
You pay for what I know, not what I do.
If you bring a repair in you should expect to pay at least the minimum.

^ This right here. Can't say it any better.

I will say there's a right way and wrong way to do those little 2 minute jobs, get paid, AND leave your customer feeling great. As someone who's done a bit of guitar setup and repair, I can tell you I have no trouble charging someone $40-$50 to adjust a truss rod(loosening or tightening a nut) adjust their action,(play with some screws" and intonate their guitar (playing with different screws). I also had no trouble charging someone $60 to wrap an eraser with wet dry paper and take out the dent in the fret of their new guitar. Both jobs average 25-30 minutes and take minimal investment. Heck, intonate to your own ear and you can do it with common household tools.

But people didn't pay me to play with screws and loosen/ tighten nuts, they payed me because I knew what to do, and how to do it. The biggest thing in keeping people happy was doing a good job, and doing the job AWAY from them. Had the smith in this case taken the gun in a back room, fixed it and brought it out in less than a minute, I'd bet we would be hearing about his magical fixing prowess.
  • Like 7

That sucks, and he'd have done well to have handled it better. However, you had a non working gun when you walked in, and a working gun when you left. You also received an education. It really isn't as bad as it seems.

I once buggered the knurling on an ejector rod; not knowing it was left hand threaded. My lesson cost me as did yours.

Edited by gregintenn

I repair cooking equipment, most jobs are a bit of a head scratchier, hair puller kind of stuff.

However you do get the ones that common sense will fix, Drove to Memphis, you ready for this.

Dish machine has to have water to work, I swear all I did was spend 5 mins, found the water valve off.

Turned it on and the customer paid for the drive from Nashville and back plus $0.75 a mile.

Cookeville to put the plug in the wall or push the gas quick disconnect together all the way.

^ This right here. Can't say it any better.

I will say there's a right way and wrong way to do those little 2 minute jobs, get paid, AND leave your customer feeling great. As someone who's done a bit of guitar setup and repair, I can tell you I have no trouble charging someone $40-$50 to adjust a truss rod(loosening or tightening a nut) adjust their action,(play with some screws" and intonate their guitar (playing with different screws). I also had no trouble charging someone $60 to wrap an eraser with wet dry paper and take out the dent in the fret of their new guitar. Both jobs average 25-30 minutes and take minimal investment. Heck, intonate to your own ear and you can do it with common household tools.

But people didn't pay me to play with screws and loosen/ tighten nuts, they payed me because I knew what to do, and how to do it. The biggest thing in keeping people happy was doing a good job, and doing the job AWAY from them. Had the smith in this case taken the gun in a back room, fixed it and brought it out in less than a minute, I'd bet we would be hearing about his magical fixing prowess.

Don't you love it when people try to make their own adjustments?

I read a story once where a guy's girlfriend made all the saddles flush with each other and told her boyfriend, "I noticed these were all crooked so I fixed it!"

I know a fair amount of stuff about fixing my own guitars, but there's a drop in skill level where I focus more on playing and less on trying to be a luthier.
  • Like 1

I had that happen to me at the range with my 460 Magnum :down: Sent it back to Smith (they paid for the ship) and its brilliant now! Sorry for the pisser..You're gonna love it when you get it right!

Do you know what went wrong with yours?

I read a story once where a guy's girlfriend made all the saddles flush with each other and told her boyfriend, "I noticed these were all crooked so I fixed it!"

Long time bass player here... That's funny stuff!   :rofl:

• Like 1

those little 5 min. freebies as i called them sure got me a lot of 600 too 1000 dollar jobs over the 40 years i was in business. to each his own. i really did fix one customers ac with a hammer could have replaced the part to the tune of 150 bucks. no charge. he was a customer for over 25 years until bad health got him.  dont remember how many good paying jobs i got from that hammer lick.

• Like 1
Glad someone out there understands what I'm saying, jughead.

I've watched some of the most successful guitar techs in Nashville correct small issues in seconds for free or just $5-10 cash time and time again, knowing that these people have other options for future needs, and they want to build a relationship for that future refret or wiring job.

In a few different cases I've done the same, both on the guitar and automotive side. I guess since I come from a business owner background and always made efforts to provide excellent customer service and build strong relationships, it really grinds my gears to experience the opposite. Again, everyone has the freedom (at least they used to) to operate their business as they see fit, and customers get to choose who they use. Edited by musicman
  • Like 2

Glad someone out there understands what I'm saying, jughead.

I've watched some of the most successful guitar techs in Nashville correct small issues in seconds for free or just $5-10 cash time and time again, knowing that these people have other options for future needs, and they want to build a relationship for that future refret or wiring job.

In a few different cases I've done the same, both on the guitar and automotive side. I guess since I come from a business owner background and always made efforts to provide excellent customer service and build strong relationships, it really grinds my gears to experience the opposite. Again, everyone has the freedom (at least they used to) to operate their business as they see fit, and customers get to choose who they use.

I see it the same way. Sacrifice the present to build a future, long term customer. I have higher expectations because I'm in sales and know how I would like it to be done.

Good conversation in here, guys.  Just thought I'd share a pic.  The replacement came in on Thursday and she's a beauty.  Carter's and Bud's were both great to deal with on this transaction.  This is my second order from Bud's.  They were quick and professional, and gave me no hassle at all about getting a replacement shipped in a hurry.   :up:

IMG_0167.jpg

• Like 1