Anybody have any experience with a Yankee Hill Phantom LT 7.62?

I'm hopefully going to be visiting John Wells next week to have a trust prepared (thanks Gomer Pyle) so I'm back to looking again. Im sure it's not a top of the line suppressor but the reviews seem really good and they seem to be fairly compact. At a 1.5" diameter it might even fit under certain rails anyways, just wondering if any of you guys have owned one and if it was an acceptable can.

The YHM Phantom is an excellent can for the money.  You can get the can and pay the transfer tax cheaper than most other 30 cals start at. I like YHM a lot and recommend them to many in the budget line.  It's not going to be the lightest in the list but sound wise I'd argue few could tell any noticable difference.  The meter may pick up a few dBs but the human ear won't.  Price wise they're hard to beat.  I use to push their 22 line heavily too but AAC and Silencerco has since dropped their prices so the difference in benefits is not all that wonderful now.  But at one time they were less than 1/2 the price of the others.

The YHM Phatoms (M2 and LT/LTA) series will fit under most normal quad rail.  The Noveske NSR, Bravo KMR, Midwest G2, and other slims though are a different story. There's not much of anything will fit under those as the ID is 1.3" and smaller.  But another nod for the phantom is the mount itself contains the ratcheting components, not the can so it is a much better choice for recess mounting inside a rail.

If you're doing 308, the sligtly larger M2 may be a better choice.  The LT does well for 300 but I choose to run a M2 on my hosts more than the other. 

I'm out at the moment but I normally sell the Phantoms for $585.  Silencershop may have some in stock and YHM just came out with a new ultra series.. we're all waiting on word on when they'll be shipping. 

Good luck

I have the Phantom M2 that Mike mention above, bought mine from him ;)

I like it a lot. It performs really well. The M2 version is heavy but it's not prohibitively so. If your budget is unlimited you might look into the Saker 7.62, but I feel like a got a really good value out of my YHM

Just Monday I pulled the trigger and ordered the Saker 7.62 from Silencershop.  (Hopefully inbound to LES soon!! Thanks Mike!)  I've been looking and researching for a while and seemed like one of the better performers for both 7.62 and 5.56.  Especially with the 5.56 end cap.  It is considerably more money though.  Good luck on whatever you decide.  

I used John Wells also.  Very good experience but I could curse him now.  He has made it way too easy for me to spend lots of money. LOL

The YHM Phantom is an excellent can for the money.  You can get the can and pay the transfer tax cheaper than most other 30 cals start at. I like YHM a lot and recommend them to many in the budget line.  It's not going to be the lightest in the list but sound wise I'd argue few could tell any noticable difference.  The meter may pick up a few dBs but the human ear won't.  Price wise they're hard to beat.  I use to push their 22 line heavily too but AAC and Silencerco has since dropped their prices so the difference in benefits is not all that wonderful now.  But at one time they were less than 1/2 the price of the others.

The YHM Phatoms (M2 and LT/LTA) series will fit under most normal quad rail.  The Noveske NSR, Bravo KMR, Midwest G2, and other slims though are a different story. There's not much of anything will fit under those as the ID is 1.3" and smaller.  But another nod for the phantom is the mount itself contains the ratcheting components, not the can so it is a much better choice for recess mounting inside a rail.

If you're doing 308, the sligtly larger M2 may be a better choice.  The LT does well for 300 but I choose to run a M2 on my hosts more than the other. 

I'm out at the moment but I normally sell the Phantoms for $585.  Silencershop may have some in stock and YHM just came out with a new ultra series.. we're all waiting on word on when they'll be shipping. 

Good luck

Mike, thanks for the input! Whatever can I settle on will spend most of its life on my blackout or .223. I've got a Savage .308 bolt gun with an 18" threaded barrel so I for sure wanted it to be capable of up to a .308. I have shot rifles with suppressors a fair bit but This will be a bit of a learning experience. Is a few ounces weight difference going to bother ME? What about length and diameter? Etc... I'm liking what I've read about the LT so far and felt like it would be a good first can. I really wanted to make sure that there wasn't some issue that this brand/model were notorious about and it doesn't sound like there is. I will sit down after while and have a look at some of the other suggestions you've made. I've got an appointment set with John Wells for Monday morning so get the trust ironed out but I will get with you as soon as I get ready to "pull the trigger" and see if you've got whatever model I decide on in stock.
Lumber Jack, I have plenty of ground to shoot on but I hate to ask you to drive down here just to let me demo your stuff. I'd be happy to pay your gas and buy your lunch or dinner if you made the trip down though. I'm pretty close to MTSU. I'm not sure what your work schedule is like but I'm usually pretty flexible during the week or weekend.

Saker is nice too and Silencershop was running a special ... $899 is below dealer cost!! great time to grab if you're on the fence.

I looked at them but they are a bit more than I really want to spend right now. I'm kind of thinking that I will eventually spend the money for something really nice so on this one I decided to stay as cheap as I could without buying problematic junk.

I second Lumberjack on the M2.  

I, too, have one I got from Law Enforcement Sales.  I have recently been running it on my 300 Win Mag (thanks for the thread job, Mike!) using the YHM QD Muzzle brake, which works very well...I mean it really soaked up a lot of recoil on the rifle.  With the suppressor on it's even better...it sounds like a 22LR with a thump and kicks like a 243.  

I am really happy with the Phantom M2, and it is rated for 300 Win Mag.

I'd love to have a titanium can of some sort, but can't justify spending the money on one right now when I am already so happy with this one.  

Lumber Jack, I have plenty of ground to shoot on but I hate to ask you to drive down here just to let me demo your stuff. I'd be happy to pay your gas and buy your lunch or dinner if you made the trip down though. I'm pretty close to MTSU. I'm not sure what your work schedule is like but I'm usually pretty flexible during the week or weekend.

Man work has been super slow. I've been literally sitting at the house for about a month. I'd take it as a great opportunity to get out. I can go tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday before noon. Just let me know, your not that far away. I'm a couple miles north of the Nashville/Nolensville city limits

I second Lumberjack on the M2.  

I, too, have one I got from Law Enforcement Sales.  I have recently been running it on my 300 Win Mag (thanks for the thread job, Mike!) using the YHM QD Muzzle brake, which works very well...I mean it really soaked up a lot of recoil on the rifle.  With the suppressor on it's even better...it sounds like a 22LR with a thump and kicks like a 243.  

I am really happy with the Phantom M2, and it is rated for 300 Win Mag.

I'd love to have a titanium can of some sort, but can't justify spending the money on one right now when I am already so happy with this one.  

I guess I can just go look it up myself but is the main difference between the M2 and the LT the capability to run a 300 win mag through it rather than being limited to a .308 with the LT?

Man work has been super slow. I've been literally sitting at the house for about a month. I'd take it as a great opportunity to get out. I can go tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday before noon. Just let me know, your not that far away. I'm a couple miles north of the Nashville/Nolensville city limits

I may have to drive to Knoxville for work on Friday. Tomorrow I am pretty much clear between 10:30 and 5:30 so I could do something then if that works for you. Saturday morning might works as well but I would have to double check with my wife because I know it's my sister in law's birthday but I can't imagine us doing anything in the morning but I'd need to make sure. I will PM you my phone number and you can call in the morning if you want to try to meet up tomorrow

Thanks

I guess I can just go look it up myself but is the main difference between the M2 and the LT the capability to run a 300 win mag through it rather than being limited to a .308 with the LT?

The LT is smaller and presumably lighter.  You can use both the LT and M2 QD muzzle devices on the M2, but can only use LT on the LT.

I don't know a lot of details about the LT, but I know the M2 is 300WM rated.  I think they rate the LT is slightly quieter, but if I am not mistaken Mike@LES said in hearing both, he thought they sounded the same.  I don't see how the LT can be quieter since it has less internal volume and I don't think that the baffle design is very different.

Edited by atlas3025

The LT is smaller and presumably lighter. You can use both the LT and M2 QD muzzle devices on the M2, but can only use LT on the LT.

I don't know a lot of details about the LT, but I know the M2 is 300WM rated. I think they rate the LT is slightly quieter, but if I am not mistaken Mike@LES said in hearing both, he thought they sounded the same. I don't see how the LT can be quieter since it has less internal volume and I don't think that the baffle design is very different.

Based on Silencer Shop listed specs the LT is 5oz lighter than the M2 so I figured that meant the LT was either smaller or built with thinner material since they are made of the same material. I didn't realize the WD compatability differences so I'll think through that and decide if that makes any difference to me. The price is pretty much the same (less than $10 difference) so that's a non issue leaving only 3 factors that I know of so far. I just have to decide which is of greater value to me, 300WM rated and cross compatible QD parts or 5oz weight savings.
  • Admin Team

Based on Silencer Shop listed specs the LT is 5oz lighter than the M2 so I figured that meant the LT was either smaller or built with thinner material since they are made of the same material. I didn't realize the WD compatability differences so I'll think through that and decide if that makes any difference to me. The price is pretty much the same (less than $10 difference) so that's a non issue leaving only 3 factors that I know of so far. I just have to decide which is of greater value to me, 300WM rated and cross compatible QD parts or 5oz weight savings.

Once you buy a suppressor, it will affect every other firearm purchase you make.  If you think you might shoot 300WM, I'd go with the one that can handle it to start.

• Like 1

Once you buy a suppressor, it will affect every other firearm purchase you make. If you think you might shoot 300WM, I'd go with the one that can handle it to start.

I really don't see myself doing so. I owned a 300WM years ago and it did nothing but collect dust so I can't think of any reason I'd want another. I'm not completely writing off going ahead with the M2 though. I'm thinking that eventually this one will be a dedicated bolt gun can and I'll spend the money for a lighter more pack able can for use on my AR's. It's looking like we're going to be building a house within the year so I'm not wanting to pour any more into this than I have to right now.

Thank you very much for making the drive down for me to demo your can! Enjoyed chatting and lunch.
Well, I've decided to go with the LT rather than the M2 unless an availability issue or something along those lines pops up. The chances of me ever buying another 300WM are very very slim and if for some crazy reason I did, I think I'd go with something direct thread and it would be dedicated to that rifle. I might eventually assign the LT to bolt gun duty and get something lighter for the 5.56's and Blackoutbut that's only if I wanted to spend enough money to drop significant weight (assuming there's much potential weight to be lost in the first place). Thanks for all the input guys, it's been a big help! Thanks again for the demo opportunity Lumber Jack! If anyone comes up with any other thoughts on the matter between now and mid week please throw them out there.
Okay, I was certain that I had mad my choice but I have thrown another can into the mix,,, maybe. What I have come down to is the YHM Phantom LT and now the SilencerCo Specwar. They seem quite similar in performance, weight and size but the Specwar can be used direct thread or QD. Eventually I will buy a lighter can, like the Liberty Mystic (I think that's the one I was looking at), for my AR's (5.56 and Blackout) so whatever I get this time will end up being the can I use for bolt guns. I like the idea (based on what I've read) of using direct thread for a rifle that I would mainly be shooting longer distances with and there seems to be less POI shift with direct thread cans which would be a big deal if switched from suppressed to un suppressed often. Anyways, which can would you go with and why?

I have an old ss phantom.  I love it.  But if I was buying right now, I'd get a specwar.   

Quiet Riot has the Specwar 762 for 679.99 and you get a free Warlock II.   

SilencerShop has the Specwar for 720 and you get a Spectre II for 99.  

Great deals in my opinion.  

• Like 1