Counterfeit Microtechs

A the Expo Show in Knoxville last week I came across a table (in the back corner near David) selling several different styles of what I thought were Microtech OTF knives.  The first red flag I noticed though was that the was asking $70 a piece for them.

I took a closer look, and every style he had--whether is was "ultratech" or "Troodon", or even some others I didn't recognize--had what appeared to be real "Microtech" belt clips on them, but they ALL said "Combat Troodon" on the clip.  

I have a real Combat Troodon and the belt clips where identical to mine.  The actual copy of the Combat Troodon he had was very convincing.  But it was a little heavy, and had a non-slip coating on it.  The blade had some tool marks on it that made it look "cheaper" than the real thing, but someone who hadn't handled a real one recently could have easily been fooled.  

Just wanted to give a heads up! 

I took a somewhat calculated risk a few years ago on a CS tanto (at the same show) that turned out to be fake. Still seemed like a decent magnetic steel that holds a decent edge...so I've been using it as a brush pruner. Edited by tbenedict
It pizzes me off when I see stuff like this. Fake EOTechs, fake Leupolds, fake this/that. The Chinese openly violate our laws on this stuff and we do nothing. But you can bet no ammo will be imported if the Feds ban that.

Sadly enough, as a New and Upcoming knife maker, some Truly don't know they are accomplished Knife Artists on an International level. Until they find that knockoffs of their work can be found for sale on eBay that were Really close to Exact Replicas of their own Work, except they are made in China and have Substandard Materials!!
I've seen a Lot of Rick Hinderers Knifes that were knockoffs!
Tom Begg has a Lot of Fakes made after his Bodega!
Benchmade knives have more Shabby Knockoffs than good ones, and are easier to spot. If you know what to look for?

We are living in a Country that has been Forced into an International world Market! That's Not what I am use to, but since I'm Living in it I better get good at Spotting the Fakes that sale for 80% Less than the American maker!

It's everywhere, not just with knives.

It pizzes me off when I see stuff like this. Fake EOTechs, fake Leupolds, fake this/that. The Chinese openly violate our laws on this stuff and we do nothing. But you can bet no ammo will be imported if the Feds ban that.

I hate it too, enough to rat them out to the gun show, and the manufacturer if I can get good ID.

This is why I try to buy from reputable dealers online, but hey you never know when it's going to happen to you. It's sad that in this day in time that when things get copied and some poor individual lay's out a few hundred dollars for a knife and find out it's fake. That dealer needs to be turned in to Microtech.  

• Like 1

This is why I try to buy from reputable dealers online, but hey you never know when it's going to happen to you. It's sad that in this day in time that when things get copied and some poor individual lay's out a few hundred dollars for a knife and find out it's fake. That dealer needs to be turned in to Microtech.  

I should have gotten the dealer's name.  The show was so packed that day I didn't really want to stop traffic to get into a discussion, but kinda wish I did.

A the Expo Show in Knoxville last week I came across a table (in the back corner near David) selling several different styles of what I thought were Microtech OTF knives.  The first red flag I noticed though was that the was asking $70 a piece for them.......Just wanted to give a heads up! 

If the price is too good to be true- there's a reason!

Some of the rice-mades and mingcro-techs I've seen are actually pretty nice for the money. If they would just make up their own names would be good sellers at $80-100.

There is enough difference in them as to not infringe on patents except the name stealing...
  • 3 weeks later...

DH Gate is the web page where I've seen them float around on as that is where a buddy got one. It's a chinese sales site and my friend bought a copy of a Microtech Scarab. The fregin thing was impeccable, even used those tri-hole screws that Microtech uses. He paid $30 for it if that tells you what kind of profit that guy, at the gunshow, was likely making. This was roughly the same time I had gotten my lightning for about the same price.

Edited by whitewolf001

I got a couple from xxxknife.  I got 2 troodons and a benchmade infidel. 

You can really tell a difference in the quality vs the real deal.

The troodons are heavy but real nice for the $$$ nicer than the lightnings and flea market stilettos 

The infedel while nice is not as good of quality.

Shipping took about 6 weeks.