Nashville

The girlfriend and I are heading off to Nashville for a couple days next month. I wanted to get some input from those in the area or those that have visited on things to see/do and good places to eat.  Sadly it'll be the week after the NRA AM, so that won't be an option.

So far Hattie B's is on my visit list. As a person who loves hot food, I'm looking forward to it. I've also heard of a place called 400 Degrees that I may check out as well but if there's a place with hotter food I'd love to hear about it. The girlfriend isn't into spicy food so I'll probably only have a chance to check out one or two places.

I think the Belle Meade Plantation will be high on the list of things to visit. The Hermitage would be nice as well, but I know there are far too many things to see in and around Nashville for a short two days haha. May just have to plan for future visits.  :) So I appreciate any input.

312 for pizza. Fido for coffee/lunch. Urban Grill for dinner. Calypso Cafe for cheap but awesome eats. Pharmacy in East Nash for burgers. Drifters for BBQ. Broadway Brewhouse downtown for great drinks and food.

If you're downtown, the best musicians frequent the obvious(The Stage, Tootsies, Honky Tonk Central), but Paradise Park and Big Shotz have some great rock music if country isn't your thing. Bourbon St Blues and Boogie Bar for blues as well.

If you want hot, head down to east nashville and grab some Boltons Hot Chicken. Most of the 'hipper' hot chicken joints make it either to bland or they just jump up the heat to stupid proportions for the novelty. Boltons is a family business making it the way they eat it.

Another member here turned me onto back to cuba cafe which is friggin amazing for a low key eatery.as well. Call and make sure they have cuban sandwiches before you head down.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Pepper Fire is reportedly AMAZING for hot chicken, but the guys at work say it's pretty much a shack.  Go for the food, not the ambiance.

We do Hattie B's at least once a week and consistency of heat is their problem.  One day Damn Hot feels about like their Hot should.  The next day Damn Hot is blowing your mouth apart like Shut The Cluck Up (their hottest) should.  You play Russian Roulette with their chicken unfortunately, but it's still really good.

Things to do:

Grand Ole Opry

Backstage tour of The Ryman

Country Music Hall of Fame

Johnny Cash Museum

The 'tonks on Broadway

Frist Center (check their site to see if it the current exhibits would interest you or your GF)

Cheekwood gardens

Belle Meade Plantation (better house and grounds than The Hermitage, but it's not a President's home)

Tours of various breweries (Yazoo, Fat Bottom, Jackelope) or the Corsair distillery.

Small boutique shopping in East Nashvile, 12 South, The Gulch or Hillsboro Village

A show at the Bluebird (if you can get tickets)

Visit the state Capitol, state museum, and state military museum (all free).

Bicentennial Mall state park

Farmers Market next to the Bicentennial Mall

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Admin Team

There should still be one in east Nashville too. I just think their food is average though.

They may be a bunch of hippies, but their curried chicken and fruit tea are awfully good.

That said, if I'm in that neighborhood, I'm going to Baja Burrito.  Tampico pork or brisket burrito...mmm.

They may be a bunch of hippies, but their curried chicken and fruit tea are awfully good.

That said, if I'm in that neighborhood, I'm going to Baja Burrito. Tampico pork or brisket burrito...mmm.

I can certainly agree with Baja burrito. I've not been there in awhile, but those are some good burritos. The margaritas are quite tasty too. I always seem to end up at drifters when I'm over there, and pied piper for dessert.

That said, if I'm in that neighborhood, I'm going to Baja Burrito.  Tampico pork or brisket burrito...mmm.

Yep, I forgot about the one in E. Nashville. It's still there too.

Loveless Cafe for breakfast: http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

meh. The Loveless is more famous for being famous than it is for great food these days. Plus they're posted. I live under 10 minutes from there and can count the number of times I've been in the past two years by making a fist. The "new" ownership hasn't been good for them, IMO. If you're going to take a drive/ride on the Natchez Trace, it's worth stopping for, but I don't think it's worth going all the way out there just for the food.

I hear great things about breakfast at The Southern downtown and Marche in East Nashville.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I miss the days at Loveless when you could look through the swinging doors of the kitchen and see the cook smoking.  I don't think I ever went there in the '90's where that wasn't the case.

Yeah, it's worth it if you're planning on hitting the Natchez Trace - their country ham and redeye gravy are both great.  But, it's expensive, posted, and but a shadow of its former self.  The new owner(s if you count the investors) seem to be committed to it, but time will tell.

The Southern serves a legit breakfast- assuming you can level set yourself to spending $50 on breakfast.  

Edley's Barbecue in 12 South has started a pretty decent breakfast of late.  Cornbread based french toast is surprisingly good.

I miss the days at Loveless when you could look through the swinging doors of the kitchen and see the cook smoking.  I don't think I ever went there in the '90's where that wasn't the case.

Yeah, it's worth it if you're planning on hitting the Natchez Trace - their country ham and redeye gravy are both great.  But, it's expensive, posted, and but a shadow of its former self.  The new owner(s if you count the investors) seem to be committed to it, but time will tell.

The Southern serves a legit breakfast- assuming you can level set yourself to spending $50 on breakfast.  

Edley's Barbecue in 12 South has started a pretty decent breakfast of late.  Cornbread based french toast is surprisingly good.

I was just there a couple of months ago and I saw no sign. :shrug:

I thought that the biscuits and jams were fantastic! I liked the country ham too. My wife liked their sausage so much that she bought a sleeve.

• Admin Team

I was just there a couple of months ago and I saw no sign. :shrug:

I thought that the biscuits and jams were fantastic! I liked the country ham too. My wife liked their sausage so much that she bought a sleeve.

The primary owner of the new Loveless is Tom Morales, who among other things owns a local catering business.  He also owns Saffire and The Southern Steak & Oyster mentioned above.

I'm pulling for them, if for no other reason than we need more non-chain restaurants.  The Loveless has changed hands several times over the years.  I'm sure there was all kinds of heartache when they started their mail order Hams & Jams business back in the '80s as well.  I guess it's normal to look back on the old days with a sort of nostalgia, but the Loveless has changed just like Nashville has over the years.

Their preserves are great.  My kids can eat their weight in biscuits with preserves and molasses there.  Their redeye gravy is the closest reminder of my grandfather's that I've had.  While I may miss the old days, you'll certainly have a more hygienic experience these days.

• Like 1