Yet another Comcast rant...

We have Uverse and are very happy with it. Just signed a year extension with them and now well be moving before the end of the month. Pretty sure it won't be available at the new house. Wondering how much it will cost to get out of it.

That is really quite slow for cable, but reeeaaallly sloooow for "business class". Grade C indeed.

- OS

I get 7 down, 1 up. I *could* pay for faster but I seem to be hitting that dumb 300G cap easily enough anyway.

Network adapter card or ethernet card, is there a difference? PC runs like a top just ancient. Found one for $10. Better than shelling out for a new machine right now.

A new NIC (Network Interface Card) in an old PC is not going to get you much.

My NIC, I found out, is good for 100Mbps. My WiFi router in general is slowing everything down. If I take my WiFi router out of the loop the speed runs up. Found the new WiFi router, need to find it on sale now. Edited by JHC77

PC is pegged out at 31mbps. New WiFi router and my laptop is getting 62-62mbps which was getting around 25 in its current location away from the WiFi. What can get my PC up to speed?

Comcast keeps trying to charge me rent on my cable modem. I've called and corrected them at least four times now.

Someone messed up when entering your modem into there system.  There is a bit inside the Comcast system that determines if the modem is owned by Comcast or the customer.  If someone makes a typo well entering the modem.  Generally only a field tech in the local office can fix the modem settings.  Once a mistake is made phone agents can remove the charges but the next audit the charges will be added back on.  Generally only someone from the local office can fix it.  Someone over the phone really can't.  The best a phone agent can do is generally send a message to the local field office and ask them to fix and I would say about 90% of the phone agents wouldn't know how to even go about doing that.

You best bet to getting it fixed is to go into a local office.  Not a Kios at some mall but one of the standalone centers bring the modem and your receipt and ask if there is anyone onsite who can fix the record.  The only other option is the next time you have a field tech in your home get him to call his dispatcher to have it fixed.

Sorry

Robert

Well, I don't use Comcast for my internet. I get that through my Cell Phone Company but I did get a shock yesterday when I went in to pay my Comcast Bill yesterday. I was paying $62.83 after taxes and two boxes a month for a package with limited channels. Digital Economy Package with 24 channels plus basic package of local stuff so I ask. I asked the young lady how much it would cost to switch to the Digital Starter Package and she did some computer stuff and came back with a Price of $64.95+ taxes and that price included 2 boxes and now I get 138 channels. I requested that she put that in writing on my receipt and she did and signed her name to it. I wanted to make sure I had something to fall back on in case Comcast felt differently and sent me some kind of crazy bill next month.  

Someone messed up when entering your modem into there system.  There is a bit inside the Comcast system that determines if the modem is owned by Comcast or the customer.  If someone makes a typo well entering the modem.  Generally only a field tech in the local office can fix the modem settings.  Once a mistake is made phone agents can remove the charges but the next audit the charges will be added back on.  Generally only someone from the local office can fix it.  Someone over the phone really can't.  The best a phone agent can do is generally send a message to the local field office and ask them to fix and I would say about 90% of the phone agents wouldn't know how to even go about doing that.

You best bet to getting it fixed is to go into a local office.  Not a Kios at some mall but one of the standalone centers bring the modem and your receipt and ask if there is anyone onsite who can fix the record.  The only other option is the next time you have a field tech in your home get him to call his dispatcher to have it fixed.

Sorry

Robert

Every time I call, they look up my account and it shows I own the modem. I'm done with putting any effort into Comcast - repeatedly trying to charge me rent for my modem is just crooked business.

The next time a Comcast field tech is in my home, they will be leaving with the equipment. Google fiber can't arrive fast enough.

• Like 1

I think the Judge in this case understands...

Meet Mona Shaw, 75, of Bristow, Virginia. And if you are wondering, no relation.

A retired Air Force nurse and secretary of a square-dancing club, Shaw went Com-smash-tic in her local Comcast office one day last month.

As Neely Tucker of the Washington Post tells it, Shaw arranged with Comcast to have them install their "Triple Play" service- phone, cable and Internet.

Seems as though the Comcast installer failed to show up on the appointed day of Monday, August 13. Two days later, he shows up but only does part of the job. Yet rather than finish the work, Comcast cut off all service to the Shaw's home.

So now we are at Friday, August 17. Shaw and her husband Don drop in at the local Comcast office in Manassas to complain.

They ask for a manager. They are told one will be right out. They wait two hours.

And after two hours, a customer service rep tells the waiting Shaws the manager has gone for the day.

Mona and Don stewed about it all weekend. Then Monday morning, she visits the Comcast office again. Only this time she brings Don's clawhammer.

At this point, Mona proceeds to pick up the hammer and bash a customer service rep's keyboard, bashes the monitor, wrecks the telephone. People scatter and scream, cops come, and Mona Shaw is breakin' the law, breakin' the law.

$345 fine, three-month suspended sentence, and a year-long restraining order keeping her away from the Comcast office.

Yea, as if.

Her phone service is now with Verizon.

Guest toothpick

Add me to the list of folks that dispise Comcast. I quit them 2 years ago and have vowed never to give them another dime.

I've been using my phone as a personal hotspot for over a year because I don't want comcast.

I will say this....they do have the best prices. AT&T (only other thing available in my area) is just to expenive for the speeds.

But I refuse to give Comcast any more business so I use my 30gb data plan for a hotspot.

Comcast keeps trying to charge me rent on my cable modem. I've called and corrected them at least four times now.

And when you cancel your Comcast service and don't return "their" modem (because you don't have one), they will send you a bill for $100 for "their" modem (that you don't have) and when you refuse to pay for "their" modem (that you don't have) they will turn "the matter" over to a collection agency that will call you several times a day saying that you owe $100 for "their" modem (which you don't have) and that your credit rating is about to be ruined due to failure to return "their" equipment (which you dont have). This is what they did to me.

And when you cancel your Comcast service and don't return "their" modem (because you don't have one), they will send you a bill for $100 for "their" modem (that you don't have) and when you refuse to pay for "their" modem (that you don't have) they will turn "the matter" over to a collection agency that will call you several times a day saying that you owe $100 for "their" modem (which you don't have) and that your credit rating is about to be ruined due to failure to return "their" equipment (which you dont have). This is what they did to me.

Send a letter to the local cable commission with a copy of the receipt and file a complaint.  Comcast will generally fix there shit when the local cable commission starts asking questions.

Thanks

Robert

I've been having an Xfinity popup on my screen for the last few days.  Cannot make it go away. 

My biggest beef with Comcast is the accumulation of 'little things'.  

I hate them but really, what's the option?  It would be SO BAD if I were a smart man.  I mean really smart, like Lt. Commander Data smart.  I would hack Comcast and change half their binary code "+'s" to "-'s" and see what happens.  

• Like 1