Woman Stabbed to Death on Knoxville Greenway

I put this in this forum because of the new statute allowing carry here. Actually, it's been legal for a year, although that seems to be news to our mayor and chief of police, and that's another story not relevant now anyway.

This is the section I traverse frequently and I guess this lady wasn't packing. Sounds like they may have the perp. Course, dunno yet if it was random or whether they knew each other or what, we'll see. I imagine some media will blame it on our open knife laws now since they can't blame a gun.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/watchful-eye/kpd-woman-dead-in-stabbing-attack-on-third-creek-greenway_33505239

http://wate.com/2015/05/03/police-investigate-stabbing-on-a-knox-county-greenway/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

If it's where I'm thinking, it isn't a bad part of town. One of the better parts actually.

The Sutherland Ave entrance to the greenway is far from being a better part of town.  It's mighty close but the Sutherland Ave area proper is rapidly going downhill...never has been all that nice.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

The Sutherland Ave entrance to the greenway is far from being a better part of town. It's mighty close but the Sutherland Ave area proper is rapidly going downhill...never has been all that nice.

Yeah, that's true. I usually get on the greenway at the Earthfare shopping center or the church in Sequoyah Hills.

But if I had to speculate, I'd bet this was a domestic situation.

It is not a declining part of town.....actually far from it with several new businesses in the area, the new UT sports complex, West HS in the immediate area and the most popular greenway by far.  There are other greenways where crime has occurred, possibly many that aren't publicized.  But still an area, as are all greenways, where one needs to be alert.  Hence the reason that it IS important that the greenway bill was passed.  Need more proof :shrug:

You very well could be right, but the significant age difference between the perpetrator and victim make it seem a little less likely (to me) than if they were closer in age... 

I don't consider that a bad part of town at all but my wife and I always try to maintain a lot of situational awareness when we take our kids to the Greenways.  If I'm not around my wife prefers the Farragut Greenways because they don't have the type of heavily-wooded secluded areas where people can hide.  My wife is very cautious due to incidents on the Knoxville Greenways dating all the way back to the 1990s...

From West High to Tyson Park, Third Creek Greenway splits two worlds, vast diff tween the Kingston Pike and Sutherland borders. That said, the Sutherland side is my turf, and in years of walking around the area, often after dark, no probs, and only one iffy feeling situation at all in all that time.

Then again, I walk right through heart of Mechanicsville area too, (University/Western/5th Ave) frequently also to wind up at Y off Magnolia at Jessamine (will be doing that today matter of fact). A lot of folks wouldn't do that without armed column support I'm sure :),  but I figure I'm in the same ballpark of as dangerous as anyone else I'll encounter.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I went to West High School back in the late 90's. Third Creek was where folks used to go and work out their "differences" after hours when they didn't want to get caught by the administrators. Sutherland was pretty run down back then, but it seems to be undergoing a a bit of a metamorphosis these days. 

I'm interested to hear about the alleged motive. Pretty much shows the need for park carry, though.

My wife is very cautious due to incidents on the Knoxville Greenways dating all the way back to the 1990s...

My dad used to work at West High School which is right next to where this happened and even from the early 80's that greenway was dangerous. The sad part is I believe there have been multiple murders on the same section. I know from sure there have always been a ton of drug/break in crime at the parking lot.

My dad used to work at West High School which is right next to where this happened and even from the early 80's that greenway was dangerous. The sad part is I believe there have been multiple murders on the same section. I know from sure there have always been a ton of drug/break in crime at the parking lot.

I don't think there have been more than a handful of actual murders in the entire park/greenway system in Knoxville history. Any number of rapes and assaults of course, just like all over the rest of the city.

But yeah, that little parking area right there at that leg of the Third Creek Greenway access has a history of scuzzy stuff going on. Good place for creeps to park and just ogle chicks in running outfits if nothing else. Cops regularly pull in there and linger waiting on next call, though, and it's not like it's hidden or anything, right next to the sidewalk/road.

- OS

Back in 1998 or 1999, a friend of my wife says she got chased by a guy dressed head to toe in black. She was/is a competitive runner and was able to get away. This was apparently around the time of several rapes/sexual assaults. I don't think the surrounding area can be called a bad neighborhood by any stretch, but any Park with seclusion can provide an opportunity for people who are up to no good. Edited by JReedEsq

Back in the mid '90's there were several rapes/sexual assaults along that section of the greenway.  They caught the guy and if I'm not mistaken he lived right there in that area between West High and the Sutherland Ave. entrance.

I'd don't know that it's a bad area but it sure is not a good area.  That particular little area is not a high-rent district.

Edited by Garufa
It is also in close proximity to Sequoia Hills, which is the "high rent district" around here. And the Greenway is used by lots of Sequoia Hills residents etc...

Apparently this kid faced some serious charges as a 14-year-old. Edited by JReedEsq

Ah, Mayor Dumplin's Municipal Badlands.  

They should really consider moving the stop light cameras from west knox onto the greenways.  I mean, since they are about public safety rather than revenue, of course.

• Like 2

From West High to Tyson Park, Third Creek Greenway splits two worlds, vast diff tween the Kingston Pike and Sutherland borders.

- OS

Can't dispute this at all so I acknowledge your point Garufa, but I don't think the area is thought of as "dangerous" like parts of East, South Knox, or even Mechanicsville. Edited by JReedEsq

Wow, the perp, 24,

635663311658326494-11188199-825887020829

had broken into a home in Holston Hills when he was 14, held couple, shot the husband, tried to burn down the house. Convicted of attempted 2nd degree murder, aggravated assault, and kidnapping. They put him in therapy confinement instead of prison.

There's tape of the husband after the trial prophetically saying "how are they gonna feel when he gets out at 18 and kills somebody".  Apparently they did let him out about then, and he spent 5 years in prison in KY for something else nasty before once again gracing us with his presence:

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/05/03/police-investigate-stabbing-on-third-creek-greenway/26849377/

Still no word on the relationship or motive, victim was 42:

635663551728411650-fairbanks.PNG

When I walked by that entrance around 4, there was a mob of cops still. Seems it was an effort to assure everyone that the greenways are safe, as per Her Commie Honor and our PD Chief. They wuz all gone when I walked back by sometime after 8.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, that's true. I usually get on the greenway at the Earthfare shopping center or the church in Sequoyah Hills.

There was NO relationship of any kind between him and her that has been disclosed

There was NO relationship of any kind between him and her that has been disclosed

Right. So far she seems to have been a totally random victim, which is chilling. She had just left work at a nearby massage spa and gone there to presumably walk or run, seems.

- OS

Right. So far she seems to have been a totally random victim, which is chilling. She had just left work at a nearby massage spa and gone there to presumably walk or run, seems.

- OS

Chilling indeed.  I pass by the Maryville Greenbelt during my commute every day.  I regularly see women walking/jogging alone while wearing ear buds.  Who knows if this lady was doing that or not, but anytime I see that it just screams "condition white".