Got a new custom self defense blade today

I traded the long knife j made last weekend for this. It's stamped SWI, the owner didn't know who made it, but he had the specs as 01 tool steel. It's a Wharnecliff style blade, clean grind and great ergonomics. It has a horizontal kydex sheath and I will be carrying it mostly for self defense purposes. Anyways j just wanted to share.

received_10205121072041264_zpsveodqb5j.j

received_10205121072041264_zpsveodqb5j.j

received_10205121072161267_zpsc2mpvqlq.j

• Like 3

..I will be carrying it mostly for self defense purposes.

It's a beautiful blade, but I sincerely hope you don't find yourself bringing a knife to a gun fight if you're ever attacked.  Hell, taking a knife to a knife fight  fails to take advantage of having a gun. 

It's a beautiful blade, but I sincerely hope you don't find yourself bringing a knife to a gun fight if you're ever attacked. Hell, taking a knife to a knife fight fails to take advantage of having a gun.

Trust me it's a back up option. A knife is there to either be a backup if a firearm fails or to make enough space to draw a firearm. I know how to use a k ice in self defense but it's a skill I'd rather not put in to practice if I can avoid it
  • Like 1

Trust me it's a back up option. A knife is there to either be a backup if a firearm fails or to make enough space to draw a firearm. I know how to use a k ice in self defense but it's a skill I'd rather not put in to practice if I can avoid it

I apologize for assuming otherwise. 

Nice.  Very clean and elegant design.  Good trade, Spots - especially considering that if you get to missing the knife you traded too much you simply have to fire the forge and make another!  Funny thing is that - to non-knife folks - you could probably pass that off as an innocent letter opener.

I had my doubts about the Wharncliffe style as it is generally promoted almost solely as a self-defense knife style (and, unlike Spots, I have no training or knowledge of using a knife for SD beyond 'try to stick the pointy end in the threat until it stops being a threat.)  However, I recently found that the Folts S.P.E.W. from CRKT wouldn't leave me alone - I just liked the look of it so much - so I bought one and, having carried it a little in neck knife mode, have found that the style can work pretty well even for a guy like me who uses a knife more as a tool than a weapon.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Absolutely right!!!

Great trade, buddy. Is that a standard, if that's the right word, design? Seems familiar.

Crkt makes one very similar.

I apologize for assuming otherwise.

No need to apologize. Given the general tone of my post and my interest it wasn't an unreasonable assumption

Thanks for the answer, Spots. I know very little about knife forms and shapes. Just thought I had seen something like it before.

I was recently doing some reading on some other forums (some that I don't even belong to) about the style.  I think the current Wharncliffe style is a bit changed from the traditional Wharncliffe.  From what I could find, the traditional Wharncliff style was intended to be not very 'stabby', at all - with a profile more like a sheepsfoot blade.  Apparently - again, from what I could gather - it was a style that was used by a lot of seamen because it could do the slicing work they needed to do and even have a bit of a 'point' so that the point could be used to push through thick rope rather than a completely blunted end without having so sharp a point as to accidentally stab through things they didn't mean to stab through.  Also, supposedly - again, according to the info I found -, many times the average sailor was not allowed to carry a pointy blade so as to avoid the possibility of their working blade being turned into a stabbing weapon in case of mutiny.  Obviously, the more modern 'self defense' Wharncliffe designs have a very sharp point but that seems to be a more modern variation, much like the modern 'American tanto' style is quite a bit different than the traditional, Japanese tanto.

Its very pretty!   It looks like it might actually be possible to throw it properly (?). 

I prefer a guard or finger hole or something to avoid slips if I am going to fight with a knife.  That indentation might be enough, it looks deep enough to keep a firm grip.

It's a beautiful blade, but I sincerely hope you don't find yourself bringing a knife to a gun fight if you're ever attacked. Hell, taking a knife to a knife fight fails to take advantage of having a gun.

If I was gonna pick a fight, a knife fight with Spots would probably be my last choice.

Absolutely right!!!

This may be my only chance to use this. Also, I will take that as a compliment lol.

FB_IMG_1429427345830_zps25shynco.jpg
  • Like 2

I was recently doing some reading on some other forums (some that I don't even belong to) about the style. I think the current Wharncliffe style is a bit changed from the traditional Wharncliffe. From what I could find, the traditional Wharncliff style was intended to be not very 'stabby', at all - with a profile more like a sheepsfoot blade. Apparently - again, from what I could gather - it was a style that was used by a lot of seamen because it could do the slicing work they needed to do and even have a bit of a 'point' so that the point could be used to push through thick rope rather than a completely blunted end without having so sharp a point as to accidentally stab through things they didn't mean to stab through. Also, supposedly - again, according to the info I found -, many times the average sailor was not allowed to carry a pointy blade so as to avoid the possibility of their working blade being turned into a stabbing weapon in case of mutiny. Obviously, the more modern 'self defense' Wharncliffe designs have a very sharp point but that seems to be a more modern variation, much like the modern 'American tanto' style is quite a bit different than the traditional, Japanese tanto.

My understanding of the reason for no pointy blades was to reduce the likely hood of injury if a knife was dropped from high up in the rigging. Wharnecliff has became a term very similar to bowie, where it covers a very broad genre of blade shapes. The reason I like the modern Wharnecliff for self defense is that it has a straight edge from ricasso to tip and it is a leading point. As it cuts, the point is drug into the target instead of away like on a drop or clip point. Those are trailing point designs. That straight edge also makes "achieving point" easier. That is basically touching your point to the target at the beginning of a thrust. I still like a bowie for self defense, but they each have their pros and cons. And a medium sized wharnecliff fits the bill for me right now
  • Like 1

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to knife fight Spots even if my knife was a gun lol.

Speaking of which, did I miss the get together where you were going to go over some the hawk and knife fighting? I'm still into tha one of these days if you are.

My understanding of the reason for no pointy blades was to reduce the likely hood of injury if a knife was dropped from high up in the rigging. Wharnecliff has became a term very similar to bowie, where it covers a very broad genre of blade shapes. The reason I like the modern Wharnecliff for self defense is that it has a straight edge from ricasso to tip and it is a leading point. As it cuts, the point is drug into the target instead of away like on a drop or clip point. Those are trailing point designs. That straight edge also makes "achieving point" easier. That is basically touching your point to the target at the beginning of a thrust. I still like a bowie for self defense, but they each have their pros and cons. And a medium sized wharnecliff fits the bill for me right now

That makes sense about dropping from the rigging.  I also agree that 'Wharncliffe' as used to describe a blade type is a bit of a loose term.  Honestly, I almost think one could divide such blades into the very basic categories of 'traditional Wharncliffe' and 'fighting Wharncliffe' or some such.  Whatever the term, it is definitely becoming (or has already become) pretty popular.  Spyderco even makes a few folding Wharncliffes. 

Again, that is a great looking knife that looks like it would feel good in the hand.  Knowing nothing of knife fighting, it also looks to my untrained eye like it would be sleek enough to be a very fast knife for fighting in trained hands while still being large enough to do some real damage to a threat.

Edited by JAB

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to knife fight Spots even if my knife was a gun lol.

Speaking of which, did I miss the get together where you were going to go over some the hawk and knife fighting? I'm still into tha one of these days if you are.

I haven't done it yet. I'll make sure to post when I do. I just haven't had time, working 6 and 7 12's a week on night shift drains away free time.
  • Like 1

I love knives, the one you have I'd really like, but there is a joke/truism thing with knives:

What is the difference between the winner and loser in a knife fight?

Winner dies in the hospital, loser dies in the street.

YOu get teh idea right, knife is there to get to the better option but as a defensive weapon any knife leaves something to be desired. 

I love knives, the one you have I'd really like, but there is a joke/truism thing with knives:

What is the difference between the winner and loser in a knife fight?

Winner dies in the hospital, loser dies in the street.

YOu get teh idea right, knife is there to get to the better option but as a defensive weapon any knife leaves something to be desired.

I've actually never agreed with that statement. Th e right tactics, techniques and equipment will allow you to do harm to your opponent while avoiding harm yourself. I have been told by people that they would take a blow to give one. That attitude is stupid, and will get you killed if it's used against the right man. A big knife of 9"+ will remove a hand if the cut is done correctly. I've never once heard a Marine or any other man in the service say he was going in to a firefight expecting to get shot. So why go in to a knife fight expecting to get cut? I've spent a lot of time sparring empty hands vs knife, knife vs knife, and knife vs other weapons. Self defense with a blade can be devastating if done right, even against other weapons with more reach. But it takes training and practice to become proficient, just like anything else. While I'd rather have a rifle in my hand if trouble starts, don't ever discount a trained man with a good knife.
  • 4 weeks later...