100 yard handgun range

otnman

Miculeck hit a ballon at a thousand with a 9mm revolver so, yeah, it can certainly be done.

I watched this and other awesome 1k yard shots, and I fully believe JM is the bomb-diggity. However, I just want to point out that in most of those videos, he hits the STEEL PLATE, usually about 2'x3', to which the balloons are attached... not necessarily The balloon itself. The splatter is generally what pops the balloon. I'm not trying to downplay how awesome a 1kyd shot with a 9mm is, or a shoulder fired .50 in under 3 seconds to target at 1k yds, but simply pointing out that detail.

And yes, I'm in the camp that believes someone trained with a certain pistol can probably hit a pie plate, and maybe even a clay pigeon, at 100yds with some regularity.

yea there is no doubt it can be done.  But under pressure of an audience, and not having practiced it, and all the rest  --- either the guy is slick & just pool-sharked a bunch of people out of their money by downplaying his ability or he has no chance ...  

A 100 yard range isn't necessary, you can do it on a 25 year range with a proportionally reduced size target. Most likely a smallish grapefruit is going to be about the right size.

But then he wouldn't have to deal with the bullet trajectory fall...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
I usually go for the 220 at GGC with my G34 when I'm there. Watch out for some people. You just never know. There are some naturals that never shoot. They are extremely few and far between, but again. You just never know.

Owl Hollow and let me know when it happens, I want to watch!

Owl Hollow sounds familiar, but I thought it was a range in Gadsden, AL that the local cops took over for their private use. That was where I made my last 100yd pistol shots.

There are two guys that frequent the norris range, that hit clay pigeons on the berm at the "100yd" mark (my range finder says 112yds) with 9mm so I would be careful with that bet.

I wonder if that is me you have seen? I routinely shot at clays at the 100 yard berm using pistols. I haven't done it in a couple of years but I would do it all the time. I would use my Taurus 24/7 OSS DS and my Metro Arms 1911. And I would also use my Contender pistol in various calibers but that makes it way too easy.

Had a guy tell me I couldn't hit a clay pigeon with my 1911 at 100 yards while at Norris. I got lucky and busted one on my first shot but also got a couple more before running empty.

I have a couple of Ruger pistols, 22/45 and SR-22, that I shoot at 100 yards all the time. They make it pretty easy to bust clays. The most fun I had in a long time was when I set up a 55 gallon drum lid at 200 yards and shot it with 22's. Something fun about shooting then hearing the gong a second or more later.

I LOVE shooting long range 22's. I would go to a range and shoot at steel out to 350 yards with subsonic ammunition. That is TOUGH but can be done once you get the wind and elevation dialed in.

Sure it CAN be done but 9 out of 10 of the fools that hang a target on the 200 yard line at Stones River can't put a hole on the paper using a quality rifle and scope.  I think the OPs money is safe.  Would like to hear the results/excuses when this takes place though. 

To all those afraid of the bet, come on.  It's worth $100 to make the friend eat crow.  If he DOES hit the target, maybe you have a new shootin' buddy.  Maybe his wife finds out and is so impressed she decides to start shooting too.

You at least get a memorable day at the range!  $100 is not a small amount, but its worth it in this case!

Edited by atlas3025
  • Like 1

I wonder if that is me you have seen? I routinely shot at clays at the 100 yard berm using pistols. I haven't done it in a couple of years but I would do it all the time. I would use my Taurus 24/7 OSS DS and my Metro Arms 1911. And I would also use my Contender pistol in various calibers but that makes it way too easy.

Had a guy tell me I couldn't hit a clay pigeon with my 1911 at 100 yards while at Norris. I got lucky and busted one on my first shot but also got a couple more before running empty.

I have a couple of Ruger pistols, 22/45 and SR-22, that I shoot at 100 yards all the time. They make it pretty easy to bust clays. The most fun I had in a long time was when I set up a 55 gallon drum lid at 200 yards and shot it with 22's. Something fun about shooting then hearing the gong a second or more later.

I LOVE shooting long range 22's. I would go to a range and shoot at steel out to 350 yards with subsonic ammunition. That is TOUGH but can be done once you get the wind and elevation dialed in.

no it wasn't you, I met you guys up there once before. (not denying you can do it though) I think the guy replied above, his screen name is BJB