How I bought, and lost.... a Dan Wesson Guardian in one day.

Dafadda

We just came back from the range. YES... I said "WE".... my wife and I headed over to the range. I shoot regularly, she shoots sporadically. There always seems to be "something" else that has to be done... you know?

So.... yesterday I stopped at my local LGS and picked up a brand new Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. Brought it home, told my wife about it while her girlfriend was visiting (so I wouldn't catch hell)... her girlfriend said that she wants to learn to shoot and my wife says "Mike and I will teach you"....

After the friend leaves... I said "uhhhh... hun.... sweetheart.... dear... you haven't shot in a good six months. Do you think we should go tomorrow so that you can refamiliarize yourself with the guns?"

AND SHE SAID YES.

Sooo.... we went to the range.... she shot the Charter Arms 22, the Browning Buckmark... then I handed her her old trusty 38 Smith and Wesson snub nose. You know... the one that kicks like a mule? uh huh.... THEN I handed her my brand new Guardian. Big mistake! She fired 3 mags.... looked at me and said "I like this. I want this. Thank you for buying it for me." Then on the way home... I heard her say "Now I understand why you like the DW 1911 so much. I never knew..." 

Yup, she now owns a (MY) brand new DW Guardian, and I'm allowed to use it occasionally. I did tell her.... "NO pink grips. Period."

So that's my story about how I got a brand new Guardian and lost it in one day.

Here is Grace's target at 21 feet. Balls 1,9,4 and 10 were with the Guardian. Ball #2 was with my 45 cal CCO.  All her shooting!

DSCN0794_zps6xnx49sb.jpg

And the gun:

DSCN0793_zpsustglyuv.jpg

Before someone mentions this... YES, it is on a "doggy wee wee pad".  Originally intended for dogs... it is the BEST work surface for cleaning pistols and revolvers. Solvent gets absorbed in the material, and the outside is plastic so that nothing leaks through to the table underneath.  Clean up is rolling up the pad and throwing in the garbage. Easy.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

Dafadda

Edited by Dafadda
  • Like 11

Good story. I had near the same thing happen a couple of times to me but with different guns of course and laughed it off as to a good cause. I'm certain you feel the same way about it and are more pleased that your wife displayed enough of an active interest and competency to claim ownership of a pistol she felt comfortable with. All in all I call that a win. 

• Like 3

definitely a "win win"... how many times have I seen guys at the range... without their wives?  Countless.  Most of my friend's wives don't have any interest in shooting with their husband/boyfriend.  It just doesn't get better than a day at the range with someone you actually like!  I don't think she'll conceal carry with it, but it will be the gun that "pulls" her to the range. 

DaFadda

• Like 6

definitely a "win win"... how many times have I seen guys at the range... without their wives?  Countless.  Most of my friend's wives don't have any interest in shooting with their husband/boyfriend.  It just doesn't get better than a day at the range with someone you actually like!  I don't think she'll conceal carry with it, but it will be the gun that "pulls" her to the range. 

DaFadda

I wouldn't rule out CC any gun by a women have you seen the size of some of the purses some women carry.  I bet you could get an AR15 in some women's purses and no one would notice :).

• Like 2
You gotta change that train of thought there!! Go buy another one and tell her it's just like yours, but special, for her.

I bought my husband a Glock 29 for his birthday. Without shooting it, I knew I liked it was to much. Two weeks later I got one for myself, to not take his. Because I would have wanted to. It's hard to trick women, but if done right, I bet you can make it look like a special present, you know, because you love her! Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 2

We just came back from the range. YES... I said "WE".... my wife and I headed over to the range. I shoot regularly, she shoots sporadically. There always seems to be "something" else that has to be done... you know?

So.... yesterday I stopped at my local LGS and picked up a brand new Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. Brought it home, told my wife about it while her girlfriend was visiting (so I wouldn't catch hell)... her girlfriend said that she wants to learn to shoot and my wife says "Mike and I will teach you"....

After the friend leaves... I said "uhhhh... hun.... sweetheart.... dear... you haven't shot in a good six months. Do you think we should go tomorrow so that you can refamiliarize yourself with the guns?"

AND SHE SAID YES.

Sooo.... we went to the range.... she shot the Charter Arms 22, the Browning Buckmark... then I handed her her old trusty 38 Smith and Wesson snub nose. You know... the one that kicks like a mule? uh huh.... THEN I handed her my brand new Guardian. Big mistake! She fired 3 mags.... looked at me and said "I like this. I want this. Thank you for buying it for me." Then on the way home... I heard her say "Now I understand why you like the DW 1911 so much. I never knew..." 

Yup, she now owns a (MY) brand new DW Guardian, and I'm allowed to use it occasionally. I did tell her.... "NO pink grips. Period."

So that's my story about how I got a brand new Guardian and lost it in one day.

Here is Grace's target at 21 feet. Balls 1,9,4 and 10 were with the Guardian. Ball #2 was with my 45 cal CCO.  All her shooting!

DSCN0794_zps6xnx49sb.jpg

And the gun:

DSCN0793_zpsustglyuv.jpg

Before someone mentions this... YES, it is on a "doggy wee wee pad".  Originally intended for dogs... it is the BEST work surface for cleaning pistols and revolvers. Solvent gets absorbed in the material, and the outside is plastic so that nothing leaks through to the table underneath.  Clean up is rolling up the pad and throwing in the garbage. Easy.

Hope you enjoyed the story.

Dafadda

That is a cool target.  I have a packet of 'battleship' targets where you, basically, play battleship with guns.  Fun targets.  I have never seen the 'pool' targets, though - and they look like a lot of fun, too.  I have to admit, though, that there is something about a lady practicing by target shooting at balls that makes me feel a wee bit uncomfortable :surrender: .

Thanks for the tip on the pee pads.  I got some for my dog when she was a puppy but she never really used them.  She might be the easiest dog to house break I have ever seen.  Consequently, I have a whole, big pack of those things in the bottom of my bathroom closet that I ended up not needing.

You gotta change that train of thought there!! Go buy another one and tell her it's just like yours, but special, for her.

I bought my husband a Glock 29 for his birthday. Without shooting it, I knew I liked it was to much. Two weeks later I got one for myself, to not take his. Because I would have wanted to. It's hard to trick women, but if done right, I bet you can make it look like a special present, you know, because you love her!

Hmmm...if she really likes pink grips then he could have a set of the otherwise verboten pink grips put on her new gun.  Maybe that would be enough to push it over the top and convince her that he only got it because he wanted to give her a special present?

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

I wouldn't rule out CC any gun by a women have you seen the size of some of the purses some women carry.  I bet you could get an AR15 in some women's purses and no one would notice :).

Hmmm. Maybe that's where the AR missing from the safe went.....WIFE, FRONT AND CENTER WITH PURSE!!!! :angel:

• Like 1

That is a cool target.  I have a packet of 'battleship' targets where you, basically, play battleship with guns.  Fun targets.  I have never seen the 'pool' targets, though - and they look like a lot of fun, too.  I have to admit, though, that there is something about a lady practicing by target shooting at balls that makes me feel a wee bit uncomfortable :surrender: .

Thanks for the tip on the pee pads.  I got some for my dog when she was a puppy but she never really used them.  She might be the easiest dog to house break I have ever seen.  Consequently, I have a whole, big pack of those things in the bottom of my bathroom closet that I ended up not needing.

Hmmm...if she really likes pink grips then he could have a set of the otherwise verboten pink grips put on her new gun.  Maybe that would be enough to push it over the top and convince her that he only got it because he wanted to give her a special present?

no no no... she has no illusions.... ROFL.... she TOOK my gun for her own, and I love her for it!  This is all definitely "in fun", as we've been married for 34 years.  If its mine, its hers... if its hers.... its hers....  I'm just sooo glad that she finally found a handgun that "just fits". She can have it, I can always buy the same Guardian in 45 acp!  

• Like 1

DaFadda

I'd give any 2 of my guns to my wife, if it'd get her to the range with me.

• Like 1

I bought my husband a Glock 29 for his birthday. Without shooting it, I knew I liked it was to much. Two weeks later I got one for myself, to not take his. Because I would have wanted to. It's hard to trick women, but if done right, I bet you can make it look like a special present, you know, because you love her!Jus

Just got a call from the LGS.  He got a shipment of the Guardian in 38 SUPER today.  I hemmed and hawed about the 9 vs the 38 Super.... chose the 9mm. IF IF IF Grace is going to keep the 9mm for herself...... maybe I should buy the 38 Super. I've already bought the reloading dies for it

Just got a call from the LGS. He got a shipment of the Guardian in 38 SUPER today. I hemmed and hawed about the 9 vs the 38 Super.... chose the 9mm. IF IF IF Grace is going to keep the 9mm for herself...... maybe I should buy the 38 Super. I've already bought the reloading dies for it

Ha! I love it, the struggles of adding more! I want to buy a new 1911 that I found at a local shop an Monkey wants to finish building an AR. Oh the struggle!!
  • Like 1

Ha! I love it, the struggles of adding more! I want to buy a new 1911 that I found at a local shop an Monkey wants to finish building an AR. Oh the struggle!!

Yeah, you get to do an occasional compulsive gun purchase every once in a while but all others are planned in advance. Otherwise household peace and harmony suffer which is to be avoided whenever possible.

Given the choice between a 1911 in 9mmP or 38 Super the later choice is the more traditional but the first choice far less expensive to shoot. The only rational choice at this point it to buy both and enjoy the bonanza.