Coyotes in Town, Options?

soapy

Our neighborhood is next to the Gregory Mill Park in Smyrna.  We have a least 3 Coyote pups with parents, and maybe more in those park woods.  The construction going on around us, Nissan Tech Center, some new apartments, along with the splash pad now open in the park, is driving the animals in those woods into the hood.  I called and TWRA told me we could shoot the coyotes. We've got one neighbor with a bow and arrow who said he could take them out.  We've also have some  neighbors that want them trapped out.   Today I'm looking  to contact some one here in Rutherford Co. and get a price quote to see if the neighbors want to raise the money for the latter.  What do you guys think? 

Soap

If they have pups you'd better get a move on. I had a close friend who was a Government coyote trapper out in Wyoming and they made a special effort to take out the pups every year. So don't just take out the adults - the pups have to go too. Edited by EssOne

What's the harm being caused by the coyotes?
Other than snacking on the occasional family pet, what's the threat?
No being a smart ass, just trying to see if I should be concerned with the ones who live behind my home.

At the time the Government started its coyote control program in Wyoming back in the 70's, sheepherders out there were suffering 20% losses of their flocks to coyotes. Now considering that a flock can be as many as 10,000 sheep, that's 2,000 sheep lost to coyotes in this hypothetical flock. A friend of mine was a Government coyote hunter and trapper in Rock Springs, Wyoming during the late 70's and 80's, and he and two others routinely killed 600 coyotes per year just in the county around Rock Springs by hunting, calling, and trapping. I talked to him a number of times after he had spent the day shooting coyotes from an aircraft, either a helicopter or Super Cub, and in every instance he had shot roughly 40 animals that day, while the others on horseback took another dozen or so. One day the chopper settled him in just above a pack of coyotes on a dead cow elk and he killed 12 of them with his issue Beretta 12 gauge auto before the other coyotes got wise and boogied. The chopper went off into the hills for a while and returned about a half hour later and shot another dozen coyotes off of the same cow elk. After the program was in full swing it managed to bring sheep losses down from 20% to 5% - or from 2,000 sheep lost per 10,000 to ONLY 500. This is what happens when the coyote has a reliable food source and no predators - they multiply to profusion and raise bloody hell with other animal populations.

So to try to answer your question, the coyote in numbers is a major league danger to any and all animals in the region, not just to dogs and cats. Once they get a strong foothold in a region, coyote eradication can become a major cost and consideration in any venture involving animal husbandry, and the local small game population diminishes accordingly as well.

My friend told me that the Piute Indians had a saying that "the coyote will howl over the last man's grave." They're that smart and that resilient. So in small numbers they may be just a nuisance to pets and fawns, but in large numbers they're a real problem that is almost impossible to solve. Just ask the State Legislatures of Wyoming or Utah. Hope these thoughts help answer your question.

P.S - I've never heard of coyotes attacking human children, but still,  I sure wouldn't let my toddlers outside unsupervised if I had coyotes In the area.  

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 3

At the time the Government started its coyote control program in Wyoming back in the 70's, sheepherders out there were suffering 20% losses of their flocks to coyotes. Now considering that a flock can be as many as 10,000 sheep, that's 2,000 sheep lost to coyotes in this hypothetical flock. A friend of mine was a Government coyote hunter and trapper in Rock Springs, Wyoming during the late 70's and 80's, and he and two others routinely killed 600 coyotes per year just in the county around Rock Springs by hunting, calling, and trapping. I talked to him a number of times after he had spent the day shooting coyotes from an aircraft, either a helicopter or Super Cub, and in every instance he had shot roughly 40 animals that day, while the others on horseback took another dozen or so. One day the chopper settled him in just above a pack of coyotes on a dead cow elk and he killed 12 of them with his issue Beretta 12 gauge auto before the other coyotes got wise and boogied. The chopper went off into the hills for a while and returned about a half hour later and shot another dozen coyotes off of the same cow elk. After the program was in full swing it managed to bring sheep losses down from 20% to 5% - or from 2,000 sheep lost per 10,000 to ONLY 500. This is what happens when the coyote has a reliable food source and no predators - they multiply to profusion and raise bloody hell with other animal populations.

So to try to answer your question, the coyote in numbers is a major league danger to any and all animals in the region, not just to dogs and cats. Once they get a strong foothold in a region, coyote eradication can become a major cost and consideration in any venture involving animal husbandry, and the local small game population diminishes accordingly as well.

My friend told me that the Piute Indians had a saying that "the coyote will howl over the last man's grave." They're that smart and that resilient. So in small numbers they may be just a nuisance to pets and fawns, but in large numbers they're a real problem that is almost impossible to solve. Just ask the State Legislatures of Wyoming or Utah. Hope these thoughts help answer your question.

P.S - I've never heard of coyotes attacking human children, but still,  I sure wouldn't let my toddlers outside unsupervised if I had coyotes In the area.  

A Google-foo search shows that they have attacked children.

Biggest problem I see is their interbreeding with stray domestic dogs. Country folk call them coy-dogs. They are fearless and extremely aggressive. About 15-18 years ago I was living in west TN next to Westvaco timber land. Very remote. I saw first hand how aggressive they are. I've killed dozens of them and they have the instincts of the coyote but they lack the natural fear of humans.
These are a very real problem in urban areas. Detroit for one.

One of the worst I personally have encountered was a pack of about 8 or 10. Didn't really have the leisure of time for an accurate head count. One in particular cornered me in the backyard of where I was living. My nearest neighbor was serval miles, so as I said, quite remote. He didn't charge me but pressed forward and I could hear several from his pack circling in the tree line surrounding the house. All I had was a little .38 Iver Johnson revolver which was more than he could bear and the noise ran the others off for a short while but the one I shot looked to me to be a cross between a Rottweiler and a Coyote. I've heard from people that lived in that area that they've seen Pitts mixed with coyotes. Abandoned dogs were quite common in that area.

I hunted down several and they are quite difficult to kill. They fight hard. I was still young and dumb then, that's when I found out just how useless a 55g fmj in a .223 really is. At the time I had a Garand also. They didn't fare too well against it. ;) Edited by Caster
  • Like 2

What's the harm being caused by the coyotes?
Other than snacking on the occasional family pet, what's the threat?
No being a smart ass, just trying to see if I should be concerned with the ones who live behind my home.

They snack on pets and small livestock, packs can take down cattle.  They're known to attack unattended children.  They can spread diseases.  They breed prolifically amongst themselves and with dogs.  They have no natural predators (wolves) here so they can decimate other game species (deer, turkeys, pheasant, ...). 

I'm fine with them out west where nature helps keep their numbers in check.  It's a whole different game here. 

300 Blackout

Suppressor

SSS

you need to get 80% of the local population to pretty much break even on keeping the population from growing.

Good luck

This ^ will be a hard sell to the boss.  The only thing I've ever hunted outdoors is a Port-a-John.

I did mange to hush that one neighbor, the one who wanted to "take them to somewhere else safe" no matter what the cost.  I said,  "lady, I been read N ever thing there is to know bout coyotes today. Listen N to what folks have to say, and this is what I learned.

there aint no rest haven, rehab, go to die of old age place for the poor coyote.  If you hire someone to trap em mam, they won't use a cage mam, it will be a leg trap, and when it sets your goan hear that poor SOB screamin all over Smyrna, till someone calls the trap man, and he finally shows up an puts a bullit in its poor head. 

She thanked me for all my hard work, and said she wouldn't be reading any more about the situation, it wasn't going to end well for them poor coyotes, but it needed to be done for the benefit of the neighborhood, both human and animals.  Thank you for your permission Granny.

Soap