2017 Raptor

At first I hated the idea of  an eco boost Raptor, but after owning my 2011 Raptor for long enough I welcome the idea of better mileage, and since it will have more HP and Torque than the 6.2, the wife and I have decided to trade her Navigator in on a 2017 Super crew Ford Raptor, I just hope they launch the Supercrew along with the super cab and we can get it in the fall of 2016 and not later

Edited by willis68
  • Like 1

The lighter, more fuel efficient, yet more powerful motor is here and it is here to stay. Many manufacturers are making 4 and 6 cylinders that put out 400hp and more, or are close to debuting them. They may not give you that V8 rumble that we all know and love, but you can't argue that you get more bang for your buck when you're carrying less weight and still delivering all that power to the wheels.

• Like 1

At first I hated the idea of  an eco boost Raptor, but after owning my 2011 Raptor for long enough I welcome the idea of better mileage, and since it will have more HP and Torque than the 6.2, the wife and I have decided to trade her Navigator in on a 2017 Super crew Ford Raptor, I just hope they launch the Supercrew along with the super cab and we can get it in the fall of 2016 and not later

Do you buy from Two Rivers Ford?

Wasn't I the guy that last you you all hated when I told you that the future was twin turbo V6 engines? I think it was the Ford GT thread...

Granted, I am waiting on the GT350 to hit the market with the flat plane crank before I decide if I am done with V8s. ;)

Edited by Murgatroy

oh goodie...

6.2L is WAY BETTER then a V6.

my buddy has a twin turbo eco boost, tow something and you'll see the difference..

What a waste to put a eco beast in a Raptor, it needs a big block.

My Brother has a 2014 ECO Boost, he tows everything just fine with it

The problem is, a boosted 4 or 6 banger doesn't have that part throttle tq of a v8. Turbos especially.

completely incorrect info.  People assume this because of the little motors that people slap turbos on with incorrect AR's or simply too large for the application.  Turbo doesn't have to be fully spooled to create the torque.  In the cobalt I built, it hit full spool at 4000rpm, but out of that little 2.0 L motor, it still had over 300wtq @ 3000 rpm & maxed at over 360wtq @ 4200 rpm.  

Torque curves are easily adjustable with some programming, can also do it with some of the new technologies out on the turbos themselves.  that 6.2L motor puts down the same power and torque as the ecoboost stock, the ecoboost has more torque on the low end AND you could squeeze out another 100+ wtq from the ecoboost with nothing more than a tune.  Try to get an extra 100wtq out of that 6.2 and see how far down in your pockets you have to go.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I'm withholding judgement about the new Raptor until I see one and drive one.  I have no plans to trade ours at this point, but I have thought seriously lately about giving it the gift of forced induction.

:devil:

• Like 1

completely incorrect info. People assume this because of the little motors that people slap turbos on with incorrect AR's or simply too large for the application. Turbo doesn't have to be fully spooled to create the torque. In the cobalt I built, it hit full spool at 4000rpm, but out of that little 2.0 L motor, it still had over 300wtq @ 3000 rpm & maxed at over 360wtq @ 4200 rpm.

Torque curves are easily adjustable with some programming, can also do it with some of the new technologies out on the turbos themselves. that 6.2L motor puts down the same power and torque as the ecoboost stock, the ecoboost has more torque on the low end AND you could squeeze out another 100+ wtq from the ecoboost with nothing more than a tune. Try to get an extra 100wtq out of that 6.2 and see how far down in your pockets you have to go.

I have driven both correctly sized turbo engines and oversized turbo engines with large amounts of lag. As well as naturally aspirated engines of all sorts.

The main problem I have is lack of throttle response with the smaller engines whether they have forced induction or not. Only difference is with forced induction the power comes on later. I prefer linear power delivery of a large displacement engine.
  • Like 1

I'm Driving my 2010 Raptor with the HP 5.4. Have no complaints,balances well , sounds good and the computer didn't cut out until I got to 107 in 4WD :rock:. Averaging 17-18 on my commute between Hermitage and Gallatin.

• Administrator

I'm Driving my 2010 Raptor with the HP 5.4. Have no complaints,balances well , sounds good and the computer didn't cut out until I got to 107 in 4WD :rock:. Averaging 17-18 on my commute between Hermitage and Gallatin.

I call shennanigans!  :)   My 6.2L gets 12.5 no matter what I'm doing.  Are you driving downhill both directions in neutral or something?

• Like 1

I call shennanigans!   :)   My 6.2L gets 12.5 no matter what I'm doing.  Are you driving downhill both directions in neutral or somethi

you will notice in my post I don't have the heavy 6.2. I have an automatic transmission and have a weapons locker in the bed and a locking bead cover. I try to drive and not  just steer the vehicle. It makes a difference if you pay attention to the traffic and what is ahead of you. Red lights kill your gas mileage. You can also verify my statement with the on board computer. BTW I run whatever the cheapest gas there is.

Forty five years of driving many different vehicles all over the world have given me a few skills.

:cheers:

TS

• Like 1

I'm withholding judgement about the new Raptor until I see one and drive one.  I have no plans to trade ours at this point, but I have thought seriously lately about giving it the gift of forced induction.

:devil:

Turbo that bad boy! :up: