Windows call.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a call earlier today, it was some man with an Indian accent saying he worked for Windows, the caller ID said number not available. He said they had Windows error reports from my computer and wanted me to get on my computer to fix them. I told him I was busy and couldn't do that and he insisted on calling me back, he did a couple of hours later but I didn't answer it. First of all why do they care in the first place, I have never been called by them and never reported any errors. I'm guessing it's a scam and sales tactic, i'm not going to open my computer to anyone like that, I don't trust anyone who calls me, there's too many scams.

Anyone else had a call like that?

This is a Scam.  I have gotten the calls several times.  I didn't even have a windows system running the 1 time they called.  They are tiring to get you to open your system up to remote so they can login and steal any personal information they can get there hands on.

Thanks

Robert

And here we go again. I've got this new HP All In One with Windows 8.1 last week, i'm getting the hang of 8.1 from Vista now. Anyway, I just clicked on a link from Bing, I was searching how many U.S. cities had a population of a million. When I clicked on the link a "Windows Warning" with a girls voice said I contacted a virus and to call the number shown. Well it locked the page where I couldn't leave it so I just shut the computer down. I'm not calling any damn scam number. This new computer came with McAfee anti-virus so I ran a quick scan and no issues. My brother told me to download Cnet Malwarebytes and run a scan every week but McAfee should cover Malware also shouldn't it? I'll run a complete scan later but i'm not falling for that call a number crap.

...... When I clicked on the link a "Windows Warning" with a girls voice said I contacted a virus and to call the number shown. Well it locked the page where I couldn't leave it so I just shut the computer down.....

Probably just a bogus ad spam site to begin with.

To close a locked up app right click in empty part of task bar and Start Task Manager. Under Apps choose the browser and End Task.

If you can't get to task bar with mouse, use Ctrl+Alt+Del, choose Task Manager from there.

- OS

• Like 1

To close a locked up app right click in empty part of task bar and Start Task Manager. Under Apps choose the browser and End Task.

If you can't get to task bar with mouse, use Ctrl+Alt+Del, choose Task Manager from there.

- OS

Yup and/or Alt+F4

I have AVG Virus and Malware Protection and have been using them for years. They have saved my computer about 7 or 8 times over the years and it does an auto scan every Monday night at 11 PM and then turns off my computer................. :up: :up:

I got the same call this evening.  I let the guy talk for a while and was sort of jabbing at him...I knew it was a scam as soon as the caller ID showed the number.  He kept saying he wasn't going to sell me anything and he worked for Microsoft and he got a warning about my computer, yada, yada.  I finally asked for his phone number and told him I would call him back and he immediately hung up :).  One more reason I'm thinking of deleting my home phone and only having cell phones.  Best Wishes, B

• Like 1

- OS

yep, I didn't think of doing that, one thing about this new computer with Windows 8.1 is that it boots 2x faster than my old computer with Vista. I'm going to take my old computer to this guy in Kingston Springs and let him clean and repair anything he can find, it's still a good working computer, it's had some system errors before that maybe he can correct. i'll use it off line for a while for some things like printing documents my old HP printer/scanner that wont download on Windows 8.1. Later i'll get a cheap document printer for this new one.

• 2 months later...
Gotten 2 calls in 24 hours this week not including previous chats earlier in the year. They are getting persistent about my number for some reason. Guess they want the next nasty response to be worse than the previous. I have fun with most telemarketers.
  • Like 1