Question About 1911 Grips & Grip Bushings

mhl6493

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911, and I'm considering putting on thinner grips that fit my smallish hands better. Seems like I've read somewhere in my research the last few weeks that with thinner grips, the grip bushings would also have to be changed so they'd fit correctly. (Kinda new to 1911's, so bear with me...)

So my questions are:

1) Can the grip bushings on the Springfield Armory Loaded be changed? Seems like I've read that on some models they can't...

2) If so, is this something that would be easy for me to do myself, with no experience at all and not much mechanical inclination? Or would it need to be done by a gunsmith?

3) If I go with a gunsmith, who are the one's you'd trust in East Tennessee (Chattanooga/Knoxville area) to do 1911 work?

Thanks!

this is as simple as putting a screw in a threaded hole, you can do it :D

Just get bushings for 'Thin' grips and screw them in the holes and screw in the grip screws

In case you don't know, the bushings are threaded on the outside and screw into the frame, and threaded on the inside to accept the grip screw.  I cants see why you're springfield wouldn't be able to change.  I had a TRP and i changed them 

• Like 1

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911, and I'm considering putting on thinner grips that fit my smallish hands better. Seems like I've read somewhere in my research the last few weeks that with thinner grips, the grip bushings would also have to be changed so they'd fit correctly. (Kinda new to 1911's, so bear with me...)

So my questions are:

1) Can the grip bushings on the Springfield Armory Loaded be changed? Seems like I've read that on some models they can't...

2) If so, is this something that would be easy for me to do myself, with no experience at all and not much mechanical inclination? Or would it need to be done by a gunsmith?

3) If I go with a gunsmith, who are the one's you'd trust in East Tennessee (Chattanooga/Knoxville area) to do 1911 work?

Thanks!

1.  Yes, but sometimes a grip bushing will be staked which would make the change tricky or even unwise to attempt.  It's probably not, but I'd email/call Springfield and ask them if you're not sure.  Brownells even sells a specific tool for the job...http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/power-tools-accessories/drill-bits/grip-bushing-staker-sku080644000-696-2869.aspx

2. Pretty easy if it's not staked.  Be careful if you use a screwdriver to loosen/tighten the bushings.  Some bushing notches are shallow and it's easy for a screwdriver to slip off.  Again, Brownells sells a specific tool for the job...http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-reg-1911-auto-bushing-driver-trade-bits-prod493.aspx

Be careful not to over tighten and use blue loctite.  Good luck!

3.  Beats me.   :shrug:

Edited by JR2ATN
  • Like 2

Thanks for the responses.  Is it a bad sign that I had to google Blue Loctite to see what it was?  Now let's see, where's that gunsmith...  :unsure:  It doesn't sound incredibly difficult - I'd just hate to mess up my gun...

• Administrator

Thanks for the responses.  Is it a bad sign that I had to google Blue Loctite to see what it was?  Now let's see, where's that gunsmith...  :unsure:  It doesn't sound incredibly difficult - I'd just hate to mess up my gun...

Even if the current bushings are staked, all you need is a good flat blade screwdriver to remove them and install the new ones.  :)

• Like 1

I believe the Loaded models use set screws and not standard screws.  Make sure to use a good Allen wrench.  On using blue Loctite, make a little puddle on a piece of plastic and dip your screws in it.  DO NOT put several drops on your screws!!!  They're never going to come out if you do.

• Like 1

I have changed bushings on Kimber,Ruger,RIA,Citadel and Springfields and have not run into any that were staked-all of these were recent to new production pistols.You can do it-just take your time like everyone says and make sure you have a good square bit.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When I got my DanWesson I stripped one of the slim bushings,sadly ..

The removal was a nightmare and I had to buy 50 bucks worth of special tools to 

remove it but ended up drilling it out  . MFGs feel the need to locktite them in ,over kill IMO

I added new bushings and put them in dry and so far they have not loosened up really but 

Id rather snug mine down after a range session then worry about them being so tight I cant get them out

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Something worth mentioning is that if you are concerned yours has been installed with Loctite (or know it has), you can strip the gun down to the frame (no need to detail strip the frame - just take your grips off) and place it on a baking sheet in your oven at 300 degrees for a 5-10 minutes to loosen the Loctite.

Remove it from the oven wearing a mit, and promptly remove the bushings from the frame with a screwdriver.

• Like 1

If the oven trick doesn't work use a soldering iron to heat them up, sometimes you can use a screw driver but be careful so that you don't "mess up the slot" that is in the bushings it's easy to do if your not paying attention, and also do not use an open flame to heat them. I'm going to suggest you look into buying a set of Challess grip bushings I believe that's how you spell it, go over to the 1911addicts.com  and do a search on grip bushings the guy's over there are really helpful and there is a ton of how to sections and several of the best 1911 gunsmiths are always on there and will answer any question you may have.  http://1911addicts.com

Edited by tjc357
  • Like 1

If the oven trick doesn't work use a soldering iron and place it on the back of the grip bushings and be careful using a flat screw driver you can mess up the slot easily. go to http://1911addicts.com and check out a set of Brian Challis Grip Bushings, they are great I'm not sure they come in Thin but do a search and see what comes up. There is a ton of info. over there and several well known 1911 gunsmiths that are on there and will answer any question you have along with any other member there also.  sorry double post

Edited by tjc357
  • Like 1

Something worth mentioning is that if you are concerned yours has been installed with Loctite (or know it has), you can strip the gun down to the frame (no need to detail strip the frame - just take your grips off) and place it on a baking sheet in your oven at 300 degrees for a 5-10 minutes to loosen the Loctite.

Remove it from the oven wearing a mit, and promptly remove the bushings from the frame with a screwdriver.

I was thinking of the same thing or  use a soldering iron to heat up the bishing and area near it.

OOPS I DIDNT SEE THE POST RIGHT ABOVE ME  LOL.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

Disregarding the proven use of blue locktight I'm leery of it in certain applications and when using such apply so little it will easily break away under pressure. As a general rule the practice of tightening screws to first easy stop, then the mearest fractional to snug works very well.

Yes, you most certainly can strip out threads while installing grip bushings but the worst problem I've had is grip bushings backing out while removing the grips on a newish Series 70 Colt GM. This was "fixed" by the above procedure which an older gunsmith showed me. I also got a good lecture on frequent inspection and checking to see if screws had loosened.

• Like 1