What a way to spend a night

Glenn

I haven't been feeling well lately but the last few days have been hell. No energy, none. Caughing, short of breath, legs swelling. I slept 12 hours last nite and I am still tired. Tried to get a Dr appointment but was going tobe a week. Finally tonight I told the wife, " take me to the hospital. Got here about 6:30 and still in the ER. Initial suspicion is congestive heart failure. WTF. Looks like I will be here all night. Lots of tests for tomorrow. I wish they would at least move me to a room with a tv. It's gonna be a long nite.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

I haven't been feeling well lately but the last few days have been hell. No energy, none. Caughing, short of breath, legs swelling. I slept 12 hours last nite and I am still tired. Tried to get a Dr appointment but was going tobe a week. Finally tonight I told the wife, " take me to the hospital. Got here about 6:30 and still in the ER. Initial suspicion is congestive heart failure. WTF. Looks like I will be here all night. Lots of tests for tomorrow. I wish they would at least move me to a room with a tv. It's gonna be a long nite.

Well that's not good!  Glad you had the presence of mind to go get checked out.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

Sounds like congestive heart failure, to me - at least that sounds like the symptoms I had when I was in congestive heart failure except I got to the point that I couldn't sleep, at all, because I couldn't breathe laying down and had a hard time breathing even in a recliner.  It is scary but don't worry overmuch right at the first.  My ejection fraction was down to 15% at one point (70% - 75% or so is normal for an adult my age.)  I was retaining so much water that once they got me in the hospital and on I.V. diuretics I lost 30 pounds in about three days - just in water.  Yeah, that is a whole lot of peeing but it was amazing how quickly just getting the excess water off made me feel better.  My cardiologist said that the heart cath showed my blood vessels to be completely clear and later tests showed no signs of arrythmia or anything else.  My ejection fraction pretty quickly got back up to around 60% which led my g.p. to tell me that it might have been caused by a virus.  I still have cardiomyopathy (weakened heart) and when I was in the hospital last year (cancerous tumor blocked my colon and it ruptured when the surgeon went in to take the tumor out) my ejection fraction was down to about 38% but I haven't had any more congestive heart failure even with what my body has been through during cancer treatment.  The point is, even if this is congestive heart failure, there is still a good chance of bouncing back normal or close to it with meds and other adjustments.

Hang in there and keep us up on how things are going!

Edited by JAB
Once again I am thankful for all the well wishes. The cardiac Dr has found a minor issue but he doesn't think it is the cause of my problem. I am supposed to see a pulmonary Dr today for a lung function test. Wait and see.
  • Like 1

Once again I am thankful for all the well wishes. The cardiac Dr has found a minor issue but he doesn't think it is the cause of my problem. I am supposed to see a pulmonary Dr today for a lung function test. Wait and see.

Hey, ruling out congestive heart failure has got to be a plus!

- OS

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I have a feeling things are looking up for I hope I'm right....hang in there. :up:

They sent me home Thursday night. I am going back
Monday morning for a heart cath. If that doesn't find anything, which I hope it doesn't, I don' t know what is next. Maybe I'm just old and fat. Dr did stop a couple of prescriptions that were lowering my heart rate. I should know more by tomorrow afternoon.
  • Like 1
Update: The heart cath showed I have Diastolic Heart Failure. The way I understand it, my heart is pumping ok but after it pumps it doesn't relax and refill with blood correctly. Probably caused by years of elevated blood pressure. DHF can be from very mild to very severe. I don't know where on that scale I am. I have a follow up appointment In a couple of weeks. Guess I wll learn more then.
  • Like 1

Update: The heart cath showed I have Diastolic Heart Failure. The way I understand it, my heart is pumping ok but after it pumps it doesn't relax and refill with blood correctly. Probably caused by years of elevated blood pressure. DHF can be from very mild to very severe. I don't know where on that scale I am. I have a follow up appointment In a couple of weeks. Guess I wll learn more then.

Well hell, that's a bit of a letdown, but chin up, maybe it's not too advanced, plus they can do marvelous tweaks these days.

Obviously they must not be too immediately worried about it with a two week appointment to check further, eh?

- OS

It's impossible to describe the level of worry that occurs when you start having heart issues, and it's frustrating when it seems that the doctors don't understand how important those issues are to you.  You're going to have to consciously work at staying positive or you'll end up being miserable the entire time they diagnose & fix you.  I'm sure Jab & every other person here that has dealt with cardiac problems would agree.

Keep your head high and us updated!