S.O.B. Puncher

If you're going that far you should get one of the ceramic layered with carbon fiber knives.

I am relatively new to the knife game. Hence the puncher (minimal skill, last ditch effort and all that) who makes a good ceramic/carbon fiber?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am relatively new to the knife game. Hence the puncher (minimal skill, last ditch effort and all that) who makes a good ceramic/carbon fiber?

I was being a little bit facetious on that but I'll try and find the link I had to them.  It was just a wicked looking design in my opinion.

If you're looking for something discreet the Izula or Candiru are both excellent choices as mentioned.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

If a push dagger is something you think you'd like, I'd recommend trying [url="http://www.budk.com/Push-Daggers-3455"]one of these[/url] on for size before spending a lot of money. The Cold Steel ones I've seen feel surprisingly solid. There's a gun show coming up in Murfreesboro soon, if you wanna handle one before you commit. More than one vendor will have them in the $5 range.

Edited by BigK

Pretty blatant Cold Steel Grivory ripoff. CS models are much cheaper too, and with the excellent Kray-Ex grips.

92FPA_m.jpg

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92FPA/FGX_PUSH_BLADE_I.aspx

92FPB_m.jpg

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92FPB/FGX_PUSH_BLADE_II.aspx

- OS

Oh shoot, you give some solid advice. If you are looking for a son/in law you just PM me...I come with a solid dowry.

Oh shoot, you give some solid advice. If you are looking for a son/in law you just PM me...I come with a solid dowry.

Okay, thus encouraged, then I'll give you more. ;)

If you want a push dagger, buy a real version, ie, made out of steel:

Safe Keeper:

SAFE%20KEEPER%20SERIES_m.jpg

There's also the little necker versions too, Urban Edge and Urban Pal:

BEST%20PAL%20SERIES_m.jpg

43LS_m.jpg

Last advice, everyplace is much cheaper to buy Cold Steel stuff than from Cold Steel itself.

- OS

Okay, thus encouraged, then I'll give you more. ;)

If you want a push dagger, buy a real version, ie, made out of steel:

Safe Keeper:

SAFE%20KEEPER%20SERIES_m.jpg

There's also the little necker versions too, Urban Edge and Urban Pal:

BEST%20PAL%20SERIES_m.jpg

43LS_m.jpg

Last advice, everyplace is much cheaper to buy Cold Steel stuff than from Cold Steel itself.

- OS

The biggest "push" (oh I said it) for me is the sheath. I don't want to put anything near the family jewels without the right protective gear. I wore a 38 for a while in some Thunderwear but I quit for procreation's sake.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by WarPig
Can I ask a question? Why a push dagger? They give up a hell of a lot of reach and they normally aren't long enough to hit vitals with regularity. They are a thrusting only weapon with little to no slashing, chopping or snap cut ability. A fixed blade in the 5" blade length range is a far superior weapon. I actually prefer a 11" bowie but you want to be discreet. With the right sheath setup, you can comfortably carry a large knife IWB and it'll damn near disappear.

Sent from the backwoods

The biggest "push" (oh I said it) for me is the sheath. I don't want to put anything near the family jewels without the right protective gear. I wore a 38 for a while in some Thunderwear but I quit for procreation's sake.

No blade is getting through Cold Steel's "Secure X" polymer sheaths.

Though I don't see quite get how any way you'd carry a knife where you could retrieve it quickly would get involved with yer nads in the first place.

- OS

No blade is getting through Cold Steel's "Secure X" polymer sheaths.

Though I don't see quite get how any way you'd carry a knife where you could retrieve it quickly would get involved with yer nads in the first place.

- OS

1) you always worry about the nads. ALWAYS. 2) I actually am looking for a "weak side" knife because I am ambidextrous but the world taught me to be right handed. So my EDC knife and pistol are right side but if i throw a punch I am left handed (I shoot a rifle left, a pistol right, and everything else I improvise) I carry my flashlight left but I was with some friends a few weeks ago and some clowning around led me to realize if my arm is held strong side I need a way to make the bad man stop. SO I need a quick weak side (but strong side swinging) carry.

1) you always worry about the nads. ALWAYS. 2) I actually am looking for a "weak side" knife because I am ambidextrous but the world taught me to be right handed. So my EDC knife and pistol are right side but if i throw a punch I am left handed (I shoot a rifle left, a pistol right, and everything else I improvise) I carry my flashlight left but I was with some friends a few weeks ago and some clowning around led me to realize if my arm is held strong side I need a way to make the bad man stop. SO I need a quick weak side (but strong side swinging) carry.

Consider a little necker. You can always get up under your shirt if you're desperate for a quick tug to get it.

Even a very small one, like CRKT Minimalist or CS Super Edge (or Urban Pal if you want a push knife) can do some real mayhem. Certainly at the least plenty to get somebody to let go of ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=87&v=_6HbsfOw2tQ

I generally have a Minimalist Bowie on me as necker. I like it cause you can get a very secure grip on the little bugger. They make the whatchamallit adapter for it too so can tuck on belt inside or outside.

CR-2387.jpg

There's also that whole line of Kabar TDI stuff for belt wear too.

kabar_tdi_knife_jumbo.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I generally have a Minimalist Bowie on me as necker. I like it cause you can get a very secure grip on the little bugger. They make the whatchamallit adapter for it too so can tuck on belt inside or outside.

CR-2387.jpg

- OS

For some reason - I think it has to do with the deep finger grooves not being placed/spaced right for my fingers - the regular line of CRKT Minimalist knives feel awkward in my hand and I don't really feel like I get a secure, solid grip on them.  I find that I get a much more solid grip on the Cold Steel Mini-Tac knives (I have their Skinner and Beavertail versions.)  That said, I do like the way the CRKT Minimalist S.P.E.W. (Small Pocket Everyday Wharncliffe) feels in my hand.  The lack of finger grooves, in this case, actually seems to improve my abiity to grip it.  I think it looks pretty nice, too - especially the handles.  I am not the world's biggest fan of the modern, fighting style interpretation of the Wharncliffe blade but I do like this one and have thought about getting a CRKT Dragon, as well.

CRKT%20SPEW.jpg

The S.P,E.W. comes with a molded sheath that can be set up for neck wear (with the included cord) or used with a belt clip (also included.)  One thing I like about the CRKT Minimalist knives is that the knives/sheaths generally have a much smaller 'footprint' than the Cold Steel Mini-Tacs even thought the blade sizes are generally similar.  If CRKT would offer the rest of their Minimalist line with grips more like those on the S.P.E.W. then I'd likely buy a couple of them.

• Like 2

Considerations on weapons retention and fighting in a clinch are what brought me to carrying a small fixed blade towards my centerline.

OhShoot offered some sound suggestions imho.

I currently carry one of the TDI knives in an NSR Tactical horizontal sheath. It's easily accessible by either hand and very easy to conceal underneath any untucked shirt.

John Benner at TDI designed this knife specifically for use in a weapons retention role. Our little "group" back down south actually had the opportunity to field test the prototype back in '04.

http://nsrtactical.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43

I had a patient back in New Orleans (East) that was worked over by a push dagger. They are damn devastating, especially in a close-in fight. The guy didn't even realize at first he was being stabbed...he just thought he was being punched. (This seemed to be quite common in a lot of the folks I gave care to fwiw).

And a small short bladed knife will penetrate much deeper than their blade length due to the elasticity and compressibility of human flesh...just things to consider.

JAB,

The SPEW looks intriguing. And for $21.88 on Amazon I might just have to pick one up.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-2388/dp/B006SK0SP8

Edited by prag
  • Like 2
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I went ahead and picked one up out of morbid curiosity. A buddy said if I dont like it he will buy it from me. I like the necker idea. That CS super edge is awesome. So thanks, now I have to go out and buy 3 more.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I went ahead and picked one up out of morbid curiosity. A buddy said if I dont like it he will buy it from me. I like the necker idea. That CS super edge is awesome. So thanks, now I have to go out and buy 3 more.

Welcome to TGO, we make you want more and more things.
  • Like 1