What time of year to trim back shrubs/plants

Sam1

Found a million different answers on the interwebs, but I have a strip of bushes, no clue what they are.  they've been trimmed to about 7 feet tall, 2 feet wide. and the top 2-3 feet of them has about 50% dead in them from the ice storm last year.  Want to cut that entire section out, but not too sure what time this fall they should be cut.  Is there a general rule around TN for doing this, or is it literally any time in the fall that is ok to chop them?

My rule of thumb (not green) is when they need it.   Haven't killed one yet.  :)

I once purchased a house that had way overgrown crepe myrtles by the road.  I could not see to pull out onto the road.   I was out their cutting them back when the old man sitting on his porch hollered over "your ruining them!!!".   I  asked what he meant.  He said that if I trimmed them before they bloom that they would not bloom that year.   I told him I didn't care because if I get hit by a oncoming car I may never bloom again.

So, if it's something that blooms, you may hinder that.

I trim my holly and boxwood shurbs when they get shabby (about this time of year). In fact, I may do mine today. I've done that for 10 years at this house and they are still healthy. Never lost one. I turned the tips of a boxwood brown once, but that was because I did some EXTREME cutbacks on it in mid-summer. If youre only taking off new growth on green shrubs, it should be fine.

For crepe myrtles, i wait until about February before they bloom

Edit: I'll trim unwanted new growth (suckers) or dead limbs out of crepes throughout the summer. Just know that there will be no blooms this year where you trim. Edited by Wingshooter
That's really all you need to know, IF you would like them to bloom next spring, assuming they are flowering shrubs, its best to wait till Oct. through Feb. before butchering them.

IF you're not concerned with that, have at it.

My rule of thumb (not green) is when they need it.   Haven't killed one yet.   :)

I once purchased a house that had way overgrown crepe myrtles by the road.  I could not see to pull out onto the road.   I was out their cutting them back when the old man sitting on his porch hollered over "your ruining them!!!".   I  asked what he meant.  He said that if I trimmed them before they bloom that they would not bloom that year.   I told him I didn't care because if I get hit by a oncoming car I may never bloom again.

So, if it's something that blooms, you may hinder that.

Me too, I've trimmed a 25' tall crepe myrtle down to 4' with a chain saw, they grew to 25' again that year! And bloomed.

Since then I just cut whatever needs cutting when it needs it.  Of course the ol lady holds me back otherwise I'd be cutting most things down to dirt level :), I'm not a fan of trimming stuff, especially hedges. 

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1

Me too, I've trimmed a 25' tall crepe myrtle down to 4' with a chain saw, they grew to 25' again that year! And bloomed.

Since then I just cut whatever needs cutting when it needs it.  Of course the ol lady holds me back otherwise I'd be cutting most things down to dirt level :), I'm not a fan of trimming stuff, especially hedges.

I think Crepe myrtles are the cockroaches of the plant world. you can't kill them.

Upon moving to our current home, my wife wanted them cut back from around the garage. I did. Then said why don't we just remove about half of them. Again, I did.

Just cut them down with a saw and clippers. Dug up the root balls and threw them out beside the road for garbage pickup.

Those suckers started rooting again.

We now have another line of them. They just won't die.
  • Like 1

In general, if it flowers in the spring (sets buds on old growth), prune it right after it blooms in the spring - that will help maximize bloom production the next year.  If it blooms later in the summer (sets buds on new growth), its generally best to prune it in cold weather before it begins to emerge.  If it doesn't bloom...well...have at it when the spirit moves ya...