Knives

Guest Astra900

Schrade Cutlery does not make knives anymore either. I never thought I would see the day that OLD TIMER knives would be collector's items.The ones made now days are imports.

Right. They are "branded" by Taylor Brands in Kingsport.

Is there an echo in here? :rolleyes:

- OS

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this the other day, promotional knife for extra donation to NRA-ILA back in November.

It's a "Stone River". Made in China.

Stone River "makes" kitchen cutlery. Only one hunting knife on their site, and it's not this one.

Anyway, it actually seems to be pretty dang solid slasher, 4" blade, truly is just about razor sharp, seems to be full tang, at least up to lanyard hole. Rubbery handle really feels great. Sheath sucks though, plastic insert thing in nylon, doesn't even fit it snugly.

- OS

NRAknife.jpg

well..my father in law had a snit over the past few days, with my wife..so he returned my last set of presents from Christmas..what a ninny...and I'm not giving them back either!!!

cabelasbuckincase.jpg

cabelasbuck1.jpg

cabelasbuckbuttcap.jpg

that was number 230 out of 500 that were made..

the other one was also a limited run browning but I don't have a pic of it yet... I got them from a Cabelas superstore when I was in Arizona..about 600.00 worth of knives..

:up:

Got this the other day, promotional knife for extra donation to NRA-ILA back in November.

It's a "Stone River". Made in China.

Stone River "makes" kitchen cutlery. Only one hunting knife on their site, and it's not this one.

Anyway, it actually seems to be pretty dang solid slasher, 4" blade, truly is just about razor sharp, seems to be full tang, at least up to lanyard hole. Rubbery handle really feels great. Sheath sucks though, plastic insert thing in nylon, doesn't even fit it snugly.

- OS

NRAknife.jpg

madeinchina.jpg

Here are the three I have that get the most use.

Top one is an all purpose deal I really only use when camping. It can do most anything from digging a hole to flipping burgers. I have had it for about thirty years. The middle knife is great when a sawing motion is required. Mostly a camping knife but I keep it handy in the garage. this one was part of a set I was given years back. The entire set is great for camping or even in the kitchen, not sure what it takes to dull it. Sharp now as the day I first got it.

The Swiss Army knife is sharp enough to take your arm off. It holds an edge and takes an edge. I suppose I could shave with it in a pinch. It is the knife I never leave home without. It gets used daily.

100_0053.jpg

Microtechs, Protechs, and Case are just about the only knives 100% made in America, other than individual knlfemakers. I would like to point out that some of the finest custom knives in the world are made in Tennessee. The Graham Brothers, David Farmer are some of the best.

Guest mikedwood

As always it looks like I'm somewhat outdated with my Swiss Army knife. Great screw drivers and pliers on it though.

Wish it were legal to carry my katana.

What do you use to sharpen your Ka-bar, Mike?

either a stone, the one in the sheath works fairly well, or a little gadget looking knife sharpener i have. You pull the knife through it a few times on one side then turn it over and repeat. Comes out purty dang sharp.

Number 1 Choice - Cold Steel Recon

gunsitereconwt3.png

IMHO, the Tanto blade and serrated blade is the only way to go.

I carry CS Recon also..serrated, but normal clip point. I've never quite understood the physics of how cutting or piercing is enhanced with tantos.

CS no longer has the snob appeal of many knives, but I think they are still a tremendous value, and as lethal as any. And should I lose it, I'm only out fifty bucks or so.

- OS

Number 1 Choice - Cold Steel Recon

gunsitereconwt3.png

just bought one of these on amazon for 8.95 plus 9.95 shipping.

That seems impossible, are you sure we're talking about the same knife?

I just did Amazon search and didn't see anything less than about $70.

Are they still for sale through some hidden deal link or something?

I'll buy all they have if they were really 8.95.

- OS

thats what i thought to it was from this place

Shipping Details : Southwest Weapons & Accessories Order #: Shipping Method: Standard Shipping Preference:Group my items into as few shipments as possibleSubtotal of Items: $8.95 Shipping & Handling: $9.35 ------ Total for this Order: $18.30

Delivery estimate: January 23, 2009 - January 28, 2009

Shipping estimate for these items: January 20, 2009 - January 21, 2009 small-blue-sports-icon._V46774994_.gif Cold Steel-Recon 1 Tanto PT Combo Edge Knife"

Misc.; $8.95

Sold by: Southwest Weapons & Accessories

Edited by m14man

I'm not one to carry a survival knife.

I pretty much pick a knife up and my finger is as good as cut.

However, if I've got my pants on, it's for sure that I've got a 4 1/8" Boker Congress in my right front pocket (the German made one, not the one made in Japan). I've been carrying one like is pictured below since 1984.

BK5474RJ.jpg

My brothers and I get together on the weekends late at night and watch Tom O'Dell's show, Cutlery Corner. We've all decided that for $3, the Delta Ranger is the best for the money. I do have three of these (in red, blue, and black).

15-208S.JPG

:drool:

If you are talking "best value" knives then the $1 orange handled serrated lock backs that were sold at convenience store counters in a plastic jar a few years back could not be beat.I bought one to cut plastic wrapping from around precast concrete pieces that I did not want to run my Old Timer's edge along and dull.Not that the OT is hard to sharpen but I need it to sharpen pencils with.It's a masonry thing (the trade not the "fraternity")

Guest bkelm18

My brothers and I get together on the weekends late at night and watch Tom O'Dell's show, Cutlery Corner. We've all decided that for $3, the Delta Ranger is the best for the money. I do have three of these (in red, blue, and black).

15-208S.JPG

:)

I have one that looks exactly like that, except its a S&W SWAT knife and cost 10 times more. :P

its probably a mess up and it will get canceled but it was the last one listed and i had to try

Yeah, I'm guessing it was, as I see it listed in their store for 89.95, though I didn't stay through all the pages. Last couple feedbacks don't look so hot either. Hope you actually score it.

- OS

Yeah, I'm guessing it was, as I see it listed in their store for 89.95, though I didn't stay through all the pages. Last couple feedbacks don't look so hot either. Hope you actually score it.

- OS

me to. i read that feed back, i figured worst case they will cancel the order but they showed they sold two others at that price. so im hopin i get it.

Small Chris Reeves Sebenza and a SAK Farmer, but I've been known to carry others at times.

If you get the opportunity to attend one of the several "hammer-ins" that take place around the state you should set time aside to do so. You'll learn a lot, meet some amazingly talented and skilled people and the "iron in the hat" raffle can give you the chance to get your hands on a nice custom knife for next to nothing.

Guest bkelm18
Don't feel bad. You're S&W beats the D.R. hands down in quality.

Oh really? It looked like they were the same knife, mine just has the S&W name on it. I feel better now. :wave: