I'm old and kids are stupid

Caster

Yep, I'm an old bastage and kids are stupid.

Young fella came in the shop today, probably 18-19 yrs old.  I was working on my expedition trailer and had some tunes going.  Kid says:

"Who you listening to?  Never heard anything like it, that's cool!"

I say, "Umm, Iron Maiden."

"That's a band!!???  I thought it was just some cool T-shirts."

Nursing a hole in my tongue where I just bit through it, I politely told him to hit Amazon Prime music or iTunes and try listening to any one of their 16 albums.  

Not a fan?  Sure, I get that.  To not even know they're a band but know they make cool t-shirts?  Wow.  

• Like 5
I'm 27 and I fall in his category sometimes. Someone will be talking about what I soon learn to be an extremely popular band and I have never heard of them.

I have only ever listened to country music or gospel my whole life ( and only gospel from my mother or at church). From the time I was old enough to go to work with my dad ( he owned his own business, about the time I was old enough to walk) until even now, never heard anything but country music. Just what my tastes in music are.

I have heard of most of the most popular stuff just from passing conversation, but not all.
Raoul, yes, they came around back then BUT they are STILL producing albums and playing in arenas of tens of thousands. Get over in Europe and South America and they may play before 100 thousand. Bruce Springsteen still does as well.
Incedentally I've seen both Bruce's btw. Springsteen and the E Street band and Dickenson of Iron Maiden and I can tell you in no uncertain terms the old guys will embarrass 99% of the new guys. They KNOW how to sing and play. Many if not most of the new bands on the scene today, suck donkey live.

Night runner, I get not being a fan, but you've heard that name before. If you're a gospel listener than chances are you heard that name for the first time just like I did, from some bible thumper at my church who says I'm going to hell if I listen to it. Lol!!! Which only made me curious and my allowance money soon went to a cassette tape of Killers, their 1981 album.

I'm the polar opposite of a 'Country music fan' but you say Merle Haggard or Hank Williams, I HAVE heard those names and knew they produced music. Edited by Caster
Yes I have heard the whole "rock n roll is the devil" speech lol

You have to remember his age, if it isn't trending on Facebook or Twitter, he probably hasn't heard of it. I'm betting that someone his age won't hear about someone like Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Metallica, etc unless they have hipster friends ( they like digging into the past and reviving old stuff like its new and different) or they are exposed to it from someone that has listened to it since it came out, Dad, Uncle, You etc.

I have not bought a new CD of Rock-N-Roll that extends pass the 60's and early 70's so that must make me really out of touch. I'm back in the days of Steppin Wolf, the Door's, Janice Joplin, The Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night and the likes of all of them. I still play those CD's from time to time. It surprised me when my Son stopped in one day and I had Steppin Wolf on and it was Magic Carpet Ride and he laughed and called the band by name. He said he has that same CD. He actually likes the old music better than the newer Heavy Metal stuff but is still a KISS fan also.................. :up: 

P.S. I was never ever a Beatles fan............. :down:

• Like 1

I'm old, like Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and Fish, Sly and the Family Stone, Creedence Clearwater, Stones, Beatles type old.

For the most part, I don't know Iron Maiden from Metallica from Judas Priest from Black Sabbath from Deep Purple from ...

Somehow just never immersed myself in the 30 years or so of what is now classic heavy metal.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

I'm old, like Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and Fish, Sly and the Family Stone, Creedence Clearwater, Stones, Beatles type old.

For the most part, I don't know Iron Maiden from Metallica from Judas Priest from Black Sabbath from Deep Purple from ...

Somehow just never immersed myself in the 30 years or so of what is now classic heavy metal.

- OS

All I can say about that is thankyoufalettinmebemiceelf

• Like 1

- OS

I will tell you what shocked me about CCR OS. They had I think either 33 or 35 hit songs go to #2 and never had a #1 hit and I loved all their music. I couldn't believe it when their Proud Mary didn't go #!

Edited by bersaguy
I guess im the exception I grew up listening to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Deep Purple, Dio, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Iron Butterfly...

Now I just listen to death metal so black I burn down churches when I drive by with the windows down

I would have had to choke that dude

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

All I can say about that is thankyoufalettinmebemiceelf

I was living in Frisco when Sly first took off, think he was still a radio deejay -- they'd play at the Winterland for concert/dance venues, admission one buck. :)

And btw, nobody from Frisco calls it that, just not done. :)

- OS

I was living in Frisco when Sly first took off, think he was still a radio deejay -- they'd play at the Winterland for concert/dance venues, admission one buck. :)

And btw, nobody from Frisco calls it that, just not done. :)

- OS

We're safe. I ain't from Frisco.

Did try to drink my way through the town once though.

• Like 2

Well, I have to admit that In A Gadda Da Vida was de rigueur for all us heads at the time. ;)

- OS

"Oh wont you come with me
And take my hand?
Oh wont you come with me
And walk this land
Please take my hand"

That was the true transition from blues to rock n roll - JP and Maiden perfected it.

I got the see Maiden in Madison Square Garden in 2009 or 2010, a month after RJD died - they did a few tribute songs even going back to his stuff with Elf and The Prophets

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Was at a restaurant bar working on the glass washer, over heard some young people talking music.

I asked if they have ever heard of the "Hurdy Gurdy Man", the looks were priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHV8Wzldlck

Well - I listen to music from a few centuries ago. Heck, and I'm a third the age of some of you old grouches.

So do I....after a fashion:)
Neoclassical metal is awesome. You should listen to Dan Mumm play Tocatta & Fuge in D minor.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKomQxtHbVsxSjYh6hEjhQUwGW5Ybh49XpjOhQhG_YpcogQETYJQxgJdR8wwor-e0HaBPNW7IHKXVAi5fT4VzFF7NHSieQ&time_continue=34&v=mfAp7Xf2L_o

It's happend a couple of tims where I've met people who are of the snobby type, classical music lovers who say metal is subhuman. To which I reply.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAq817mTb50 Edited by Caster

Ever say "Hank Williams" and the person you're talking to responds with "Isn't he the football guy?"  :shake:

I'm just done with it. I don't talk about music anymore because I get sick of being asked who I'm talking about or hearing "Oh yeah, I love country music. Florida Georgia Line..."

Unless the next phrase is "died in a fire", I don't care what they did. Don't tell me you love country music and then stand there with a blank stare when someone says Keith Whitley, Randy Travis, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, etc...stupid little hipster fags. 

I'm done. I have 900 Hank songs on iTunes.  :wave:

• Like 4

Ever say "Hank Williams" and the person you're talking to responds with "Isn't he the football guy?"  :shake:

I'm just done with it. I don't talk about music anymore because I get sick of being asked who I'm talking about or hearing "Oh yeah, I love country music. Florida Georgia Line..."

Unless the next phrase is "died in a fire", I don't care what they did. Don't tell me you love country music and then stand there with a blank stare when someone says Keith Whitley, Randy Travis, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, etc...stupid little hipster fags. 

I'm done. I have 900 Hank songs on iTunes.  :wave:

As I said, NOT a country music fan but I know exactly what you're saying. Speaking of Hank Williams, ever bug you that Junior comes up as soon as you say Hank Williams. Hank Williams sang better tunes out his butt after some bad Mexican food than his son could sing on his best day. Lol!

Concerts me and my best friend have been to at the Municipal Auditorium in the late 70's.

Iron Maiden

Rush

Ted Nugent

Black Sabbath

Nazareth

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Molly Hatchet

Kiss

Volunteer Jam 3,4

Plus a few more, he would get the tickets and I had the car, an AMC Gremlin, a beat up old Gremlin which looked less goofy than a new shiny one.  :rofl:

I am into retro country now.

Edited by K191145

As I said, NOT a country music fan but I know exactly what you're saying. Speaking of Hank Williams, ever bug you that Junior comes up as soon as you say Hank Williams. Hank Williams sang better tunes out his butt after some bad Mexican food than his son could sing on his best day. Lol!

Honestly, not as much as it used to. Much like Dale, I can't fight for it anymore. The tide has turned and our country is gone. Keith has done everything Hank did now, and Chris saddled up that ole black horse at the end of the trail. Country music has a song for everything, a real honest expression of emotion. Mr. Williams was speaking for more than just himself when he said we'd never get out of this world alive, and our music has been no exception. 

There are still a few devoted fans out here, and a handful of artists still playing what we want to hear. If the "country music audience" doesn't want any of it, that's just fine. Odds are I'd rather not have them around anyway.