Almost got Iced by my wifes car...

CommsNBombs

About to change the oil on my wifes Ford Focus, thing is up on two jacks and two jack stands to be redundant, I go inside to get my allen keys to pull the pan off - took me a little extra time because I misplaced some with my Dillon.

Walked outside, about to get underneath and both jacks fly out from under in and the jack stands go with them.

Holy crap - if I knew where my allen keys were I would have been dead as hell, there is ZERO clearance under that thing

Im investing in ramps instead...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

Was it on uneven ground?  Were the jacks and stands in the specified locations.  My wife used to have a Focus, and you're right, the clearance was minimal but it sounds like you must have had something else going on to cause a failure that sudden.

Was it on uneven ground? Were the jacks and stands in the specified locations. My wife used to have a Focus, and you're right, the clearance was minimal but it sounds like you must have had something else going on to cause a failure that sudden.

Had it on my driveway as even as can be, even swept the gravel away. Matching jacks, matching stands. They looked even too, I mean I might have jacked something up (no pun lol) - but Ive done it multiple times

Had it on my driveway as even as can be, even swept the gravel away. Matching jacks, matching stands. They looked even too, I mean I might have jacked something up (no pun lol) - but Ive done it multiple times

Did the car roll back off the jacks/stands?
  • Admin Team

Were the jacks on wheels?  That's your culprit if so.  You've basically got a 2500 pound car up on 4 legs - two of which aren't stable.  Wind, any instability, even you torquing on the oil drain plug too much could cause the whole thing to come tumbling down.

Were the jacks on wheels? That's your culprit if so. You've basically got a 2500 pound car up on 4 legs - two of which aren't stable. Wind, any instability, even you torquing on the oil drain plug too much could cause the whole thing to come tumbling down.

Nope just 2 Ford OEM car jacks, no wheels or anything.

My wife was almost in tears, that wouldve sucked ass

Did you chock the rear tires? It may have rolled back a little or something. That would have been horrible to be under there. I won't get under our cars hardly anymore. I'll work under my truck because I could put a mattress under there to lay on and still have to reach up :) , but that's about the only vehicle of mine I feel comfortable going under. Glad all is well.
  • Like 1

Did you chock the rear tires? It may have rolled back a little or something. That would have been horrible to be under there. I won't get under our cars hardly anymore. I'll work under my truck because I could put a mattress under there to lay on and still have to reach up :) , but that's about the only vehicle of mine I feel comfortable going under. Glad all is well.

You know what I didnt...was in a rush to get it done

I made 2  drive on ramps with a couple of 2x10x8's.  I cut each into 4 pieces. 28.5,  25.5,  22.5,  and 19 inches long. line up the back straight on each board and used drywall screws to attach each piece. They work great and do not slip at all. gives you about 7" rise.

Edited by Randall53

I made 2  drive on ramps with a couple of 2x10x8's.  I cut each into 4 pieces. 28.5,  25.5,  22.5,  and 19 inches long. line up the back straight on each board and used drywall screws to attach each piece. They work great and do not slip at all. gives you about 7" rise.

this

Glad you're ok.  That's why I don't raise the whole front of the car when I change the oil, only one wheel.  Car in park (or in gear if it's a stick) and parking brake set.  If I'm working on the brakes and can't set the parking brake, I chock the front wheels with a couple pieces of 4x6. 

When I have to raise one whole end of the car, I put something thicker than me (like a wheel) under it so it'll hit that instead of me if it falls. 

Why were you taking the whole oil pan off?  Does the Focus not have a drain plug?

Edited by peejman

Glad you're ok. That's why I don't raise the whole front of the car when I change the oil, only one wheel. Car in park (or in gear if it's a stick) and parking brake set. If I'm working on the brakes and can't set the parking brake, I chock the front wheels with a couple pieces of 4x6.

When I have to raise one whole end of the car, I put something thicker than me (like a wheel) under it so it'll hit that instead of me if it falls.

Why were you taking the whole oil pan off? Does the Focus not have a drain plug?

She bottom it out so I was going to fix the pan while I was at it - only reason I had it way up