Which primer?

I starting my set up for .223 reloading and have a quick question, which primer is best for .223? I'm using Ramshot TAC and a 55gr.FMJ projo, Hornady new brass...just not sure if a small rifle primer (Wolf, Federal, S&B, Winchester...etc)  will do or if the CCI 41 military SRP is required? I have the next week off so I'm planning on working up a load for the AR and enjoy some bench time. Thanks in advance gents....

Edited by ArmyBrat61

Most any small rifle primer will work fine in my experience. Some will swear by the CCI 41s, and I'm sure they'd work great, but I've never used them.

I do believe the AR was designed to feed rounds from a magazine. I would expect the added force of the bolt when singularly chambering around could increase the unlikely chance of a slamfire.

Edited by gregintenn

Never on an AR or any other firearm sort of.  I did have a Ruger 10-22 discharge when I disengaged the safety once.  There was an RO standing next to me during a competition so he was watching my every move.  Later that day we both tried every way we knew to replicate it but could not do it.  I've been in extremely close proximty of 3 that claimed a slam fire but I'm certain they were not slam fires but AD's or ND's due to having the finger on the trigger while charging the firearm.

The firing pin in AR's float.  If you remove an unfired cartridge that you let the bolt slam forward on it will leave a very light mark on the primer almost every time.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 1

I had a conversation with a person who drops in here now from time to time, I asked if it made a difference if magnum primers was ok over a regular primer and his answer was that he made all his magnum primers either small rifle or large rifle, pistol etc.  The reasoning behind the thinking is that it easier to keep track of instead of have all sorts of different primers, just some food for thought when you go to buy.

I have seen a AR15 slamfire at perry and multiple marine team AR10s slamfire at interservice a few years ago. It is much more likely with the AR10s that do not
have the spring in front of the firing pin due to bolt carrier group mass.

Most I've read about were single loaded for slow fire competition rather than magazine fed. Was that the case here?

Do you think a slam-fire is more likely with a rifle buffer and spring? Just wondering, because they seem to have more tension than carbines.

:shrug: No idea.

I'm just saying that the friction created by stripping a round off the top of a magazine should slow the bolt's forward travel enough to make it a non issue.

Tula work great.

I/we have run more than 20 K in 9mm handgun the past 12-16 months.

I'm loading about 1500 5.56 right now using Tula.

One of the long range guys at ORSA (instructs at some of their clinics) told me the majority of the shooters out there actually prefer Tula.

The only Tula primers I've ever had issue with was 5K of the lead free pistol primers...they sucked. 2-3 out of every 100 was a dud...but that was only with the lead free Tulas I picked up a few years back when primers were very scarce.

I've had great luck with Winchester, Federal, CCI and Remington SRP in the past.