Need help picking a shotgun

LagerHead

As the title states, I am looking to purchase a shotgun. I don't currently own one, but I've shot them, so I'm not a total ignoramus. But I know some of you folks will have insights I don't. Here are my criteria:

Under $1,000. I'd love to stay under $750, but for the right gun I can bend.

Multi purpose. Specifically I'd like a gun for turkey hunting, but if it could double as a home defense weapon, that's a bonus. Until I get another shotgun I'd probably shoot a clay or two with it as well.

Semi-auto or pump. I'm not interested at this time in over/under, coach guns, or side by side.

Those are my must haves. I'm probably not going to go with wood furniture right now either simply because in the woods it's too hard not to ding up. I hate to hurt something purty. ;)

Right now I'm looking at the Remington 887 Nitro and the Stoeger M3500. I really like the durability aspect of the 887, but the Stoeger is a nice semi auto for a very reasonable price. The 887 has a combo model with a 22" and 28" barrel, which nicely meets the dual purpose need, but the M3500 is supposedly kinda the Benelli lite, if you will. If this is incorrect, please feel free to set me straight.

What say y'all? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

From what I understand the Stoeger is turkey made clone of the Benelli M2. It is or was recently all the rage for entry shotgun for 3 gun.  I've shot one all slicked up and they are nice and the recoil is nice on it. If I hadn't just loved the Beretta 1301 I'd have gotten one.

Shop around and find a used Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga 3" magnum with a full choke barrel, then pick up a used barrel with choke tubes. The whole set up should come in for well under your $750 low end figure and be all of the gun you could ever want to find. Its going to have a wood stock and forearm but so what, a little camo tape and your good to go. Put an ivory bead front sight on it and have a mid rib brass sight installed.

Edited by TNWNGR
  • Like 1

I didn't think you could touch a Benelli for that cheap. Gander mountain has a SuperNova for $499.99.

Depends on which model. I would personally stay away from the Super Nova though. Depending on where you are you're more than welcome to come shoot with me on day and try mine.
  • Like 1
I'd suggest a Remington 870. I prefer the safety over the Mossbergs and most Mossbergs I have held have been looser than Remington's.

Turkey guns usually have a shorter barrel (20" ish) which is fine for HD.

I'd suggest a 870 setup for turkey with either a fiber optic sight or a red dot sight and have an accessory barrel around 28" for clays, which you could sell later when you get a dedicated clay gun.

Most turkey guns would be camo finished and fairly durable.
Mossberg 500 with an 18 inch cylinder bore and a 28 inch with chokes or an older Remington 870 with a 22/24 inch barrel with chokes.
After having a Nova I'd stay away for the following reasons: limited aftermarket support and aftermarket accessories are expensive. I know it's not quite the same as a SN but they are pretty close. The SN are an improvement but a 500 or 870 is much better from my experience.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I had a Mossberg 500 Grand Slam Turkey. 20" barrel with interchangeable chokes, fiber optic sights, mossy oak patterned. It was nothing special, but it was durable and put meat on the table regularly. It was less than $400 out the door from Bass Pro in a 2008.

Sent from behind the anvil

I'm another 870 fan, basically because I bought one 20+ years ago and I've done dang near everything with it with a 28" barrel and modified choke.  I keep meaning to get a real turkey choke and an 18" barrel to use it for a house gun but I haven't had time to get around to that it seems.  With that set up I've hunted small game, doves, turkey, coyote, shot clays, and used slugs to hunt deer.  It pays to clean it every 10 years or 5000 rounds as it gets difficult to cycle if you don't.

• Like 2

Not a M3500, but I own the Stoeger P-350. Nice shotgun, designed for turkey hunting but mine came with a field barrel and chokes, as well as standard stock and pistol grip version. I haven't handled the M3500 but if it is as nice as the P350 I would go that route. Been very happy with mine and the 24" barrel is still short enough to be a home defense weapon if needed.

I've used several Remington 1100's and Browning A-5's over the years as well as Mossberg 500 and 590's. For field use such as rabbit or bird hunting I'm fine with a semi auto. I actually prefer a semi auto for skeet/trap/clays as it reduces felt recoil. But once the aspects of home protection or self defense comes into the matrix then I'm pulling out a pump shotgun. Of all the defensive pump shotguns I've used from an Ithaca M-37, Remington 870, Mossberg 500/590 the Remington had fewer handling or reliability issues. 

Edited by TNWNGR

Ithaca Model 37.

They're old, but can be found used without too much trouble. Bottom eject and fairly lightweight, but not many 'tactical' add ons if you want to go that route. I've had two of them- have one now, sold the other. Kicked myself when I did it, still kick myself now. Selling that shotgun was a mistake. It felt like an extension of my arm, fit me like a glove. I don't know if they were available with interchangeable chokes though. 

Even if you don't buy one, find a way to shoot one. You'll be glad that you did.