I shot the new Ruger Amercian today

tercel89

I don't know; the trigger on the XD has been a complaint since pretty much day one. And people are still dropping Apex triggers in their M&Ps right out of the gate.

I don't dispute this point at all and will readily admit I followed my normal selection process of trying several different samples until I found the best trigger and purchased that one. FWIW I've yet to find any striker fired pistol that had any type of uniform consistency in its triggers so I select the best I can find and shoot it until I learn to work with it. I'm not unopposed to a good spring kit in a self defense pistol but am very mistrustful of aftermarket trigger set ups regardless of any glowing recommendations.

Oh I was gonna sell the Glock eventually . I was originally going to use the money to buy the all new improved Gen 2 CZ P-07. Ironically the orginal CZ P07 was the one "dud" that I bought by jumping the gun when it first came out. I got screwed but CZ took care of me and sent me an all new one but I lost confidence in it . So , the new Gen 2  P-07 is out now and I was going to get it until I got so sideswiped by this new Ruger.  Now let me tell you , the new Gen 2 CZ P-07 is GREAT , trigger and all. Plus you can convert it from decocker only to safety and back . To me it's the best hammer-fired polymer gun out there now days . But I am gonna give it a week and who knows , I may go get the CZ after all. The new Ruger's "guts" just look very unconventional to me and I don't feel comfortable with it .

Is this the gen2? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58053

Close to my price range and always wanted a CZ ever since I got into pew pew...

Oh I was gonna sell the Glock eventually . I was originally going to use the money to buy the all new improved Gen 2 CZ P-07. Ironically the orginal CZ P07 was the one "dud" that I bought by jumping the gun when it first came out. I got screwed but CZ took care of me and sent me an all new one but I lost confidence in it . So , the new Gen 2  P-07 is out now and I was going to get it until I got so sideswiped by this new Ruger.  Now let me tell you , the new Gen 2 CZ P-07 is GREAT , trigger and all. Plus you can convert it from decocker only to safety and back . To me it's the best hammer-fired polymer gun out there now days . But I am gonna give it a week and who knows , I may go get the CZ after all. The new Ruger's "guts" just look very unconventional to me and I don't feel comfortable with it .

Is this the gen2? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58053

Close to my price range and always wanted a CZ ever since I got into pew pew...

No the newer Gen 2 has slide serations on the front and the rear . That's the older first gen , the one I had to send back to CZ .

Edited by tercel89

I don't dispute this point at all and will readily admit I followed my normal selection process of trying several different samples until I found the best trigger and purchased that one. FWIW I've yet to find any striker fired pistol that had any type of uniform consistency in its triggers so I select the best I can find and shoot it until I learn to work with it. I'm not unopposed to a good spring kit in a self defense pistol but am very mistrustful of aftermarket trigger set ups regardless of any glowing recommendations.

Why? It can't be that the only people capable of designing a decent trigger work at the established manufacturers. In fact, the relative lack of decent stock triggers suggests that very few actually do. ;)

All I know is, both my XD and XDM have Powder River Precision trigger kits in them and they are head and shoulders above the stock trigger. I'll take the Pepsi challenge any day of the week and twice on Sunday plus any other appropriate cliches you wish to throw in the mix. ;)

Steelharp is going to be devastated...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rock:

THAT'S great! lol... nah, not devastated, but now curious. There must be some inconsistency in the manufacturing process yet, because none of the three I've handled or the ones I've sold have had a spongy feel at all. I've had nothing but positive customer feedback, so far. That may change, but as it stands now, I have not witnessed what tercel experienced.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rock:

THAT'S great! lol... nah, not devastated, but now curious. There must be some inconsistency in the manufacturing process yet, because none of the three I've handled or the ones I've sold have had a spongy feel at all. I've had nothing but positive customer feedback, so far. That may change, but as it stands now, I have not witnessed what tercel experienced.

I am serious and would not exaggerate my report. I really wanted this pistol but it really was spongy feeling . I am all about adjusting to the gun but this was just a little too much for me . And if you know me I am very forgiving. Like I said , I am a very big Ruger fan and carry Rugers on my days off. This Ruger will have some adjustments I suspect in the near future and if it does then I'll get it .

• Like 1

I am serious and would not exaggerate my report. I really wanted this pistol but it really was spongy feeling . I am all about adjusting to the gun but this was just a little too much for me . And if you know me I am very forgiving. Like I said , I am a very big Ruger fan and carry Rugers on my days off. This Ruger will have some adjustments I suspect in the near future and if it does then I'll get it .

Just to stir things up here...and Steelharp caused this one for me and has now disavowed it...how about a Walther?

Specifically the PPQ Model 2 in 9mm or 45. I have both and absolutely LOVE the 9. I like the 45. But I blame the difference on the felt recoil and my arthritic wrist. I may have to get out of 45 if this keeps up.

Why? It can't be that the only people capable of designing a decent trigger work at the established manufacturers. In fact, the relative lack of decent stock triggers suggests that very few actually do. ;)

All I know is, both my XD and XDM have Powder River Precision trigger kits in them and they are head and shoulders above the stock trigger. I'll take the Pepsi challenge any day of the week and twice on Sunday plus any other appropriate cliches you wish to throw in the mix. ;)

Oh I believe you but FWIW the XDs9 & XDs 45 triggers don't feel the same to me as the XD or XDm's do. It's probably due to the ergonomics of the different frame used. But one of the constants I've found in striker fired pistols is each and every trigger has a different feel to it. Some are worse then others some are better and occasionally ones pretty nice. I try to find the nice ones and simplify my life. 

Oh I believe you but FWIW the XDs9 & XDs 45 triggers don't feel the same to me as the XD or XDm's do. It's probably due to the ergonomics of the different frame used. But one of the constants I've found in striker fired pistols is each and every trigger has a different feel to it. Some are worse then others some are better and occasionally ones pretty nice. I try to find the nice ones and simplify my life.

I feel ya. I'm more of a tinkerer. If I can find that complete package, of course like you I'm going to jump on it. But even then I wonder if I can make it better.

I got to thinking today about my experience with this pistol and then how complex the "fire control" or "chassis"  whatever you call it was. It just looked very complicated and I have read about others too saying it was more complex than it should be.

I just have a feeling that if something goes wrong with that part of the gun , it would be hell to take apart.

Edited by tercel89

Thanks for the honest, hands on review! I look forward to hearing a few more (non-sponsored, ahem... gun mags) reviews from fellow TGOers.

Never been a gun that didn't perform flawlessly in a magazine review. I do like how now any issues are totally the shooters fault..............maybe the magazine could hire some good shooters who write ok instead of some good writers who shoot ok.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Torture test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAT4HXunfi8

I got real nervous when he opened the slide and poured a handful of dirt in. lol

But overall, this seems to be pretty durable.

But about the 4 minute mark with the gun iced and frozen up; what if you don't have a source of hot water...there's always the old body produced hot water source... that would be hot enough to free it up. lol

But the dip and beer test was truly unique! Edited by hipower

That said, I don't get the block of ice routine. They had to completely thaw it out to load it. I'd be more curious if it worked if they chilled it to -40 and heated it to 150 deg.

It would have been a lot cooler (and useful) if they froze it with a round in the chamber then popped a cap.

• Like 1