The World Is Coming To An End

runco

Same people as who? Walgreens is not related to Walmart in any way. It was founded by Charles R. Walgreen in 1903. It is also a terrible company ran by terrible, terrible people.

Well I'll be damned. I always thought they were owned by the same parent company. I guess I heard it somewhere and never thought different.
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Well I'll be damned. I always thought they were owned by the same parent company. I guess I heard it somewhere and never thought different.

Common mistake. I worked for those bastards for seven years. I know them well, and hate them more.

I bet that north Nashville one is a rough place. I think I remember hearing the one on Gallatin Road in Madison just before Hendersonville was keeping metro PD real busy.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

Company I used to work for serviced all the Walmart stores in TN and KY. The "neighborhood market" in Madison and near Gallatin Rd and Douglas by the diesel college were both just awful. The store at Charlotte and Harding was sketchy at times, but the two on Gallatin were the worst. Never had any problems in Rivergate, but that was before they tore down the Sams club and moved into that building. We rented equipment to the outfit emptying out the Sams building and they managed to wreck it though.

Company I used to work for serviced all the Walmart stores in TN and KY. The "neighborhood market" in Madison and near Gallatin Rd and Douglas by the diesel college were both just awful. The store at Charlotte and Harding was sketchy at times, but the two on Gallatin were the worst. Never had any problems in Rivergate, but that was before they tore down the Sams club and moved into that building. We rented equipment to the outfit emptying out the Sams building and they managed to wreck it though.

You were lucky Blake.

• Like 1

We don't have many stores within minutes of where I live but there is a DG about 5 minutes away.  So what do they do?  Build a new store across the street.  WTF!!  Not sure why, but they turned the old one into an Auto Zone.  That makes me kind of happy.  To get car stuff I used to have to drive near an hour round trip.

I wonder if the two are owned by the same group?

I think the plan was to crush Walgreens / CVS in markets that could not support a traditional big box.

No, they are in no way connected. I didn't speak up because I though you were referring to Walgreens and Rite Aid. As of lately they are owned by the same group. I read CVS but was thinking Rite Aid. Edited by Patton

What goes up ....must come down I think walmart made enough.  It's amazon's turn. I met Mr Walton in Pittsburgh around 1971.he was having a hard time with his competitor K-Mart.  At the time K-mart was the big guy in town. He'll still have over eleven thousand stores besides they own Sams. I think that should keep the Walton's in beans and wieners for a while!  

I often wonder about what goes into the decision, not necessarily the decision itself.  If these TN Walmarts are in bad areas, could inventory shrinkage played a big role (more so than what is reported), or could simply be just store performance alone, and performance is the bottom line. 

I truly think the Amazon model will conquer and destroy most.  I admit, I much prefer a mouse click over getting in my vehicle, going to the store, walking up/down the aisles (hoping they have what I went after), waiting in line, going back to my vehicle (hoping I don't have a new door ding), and traveling home. 

They only made 275 billion in their grocery store's last year....."BILLION"  Do you think Walmart is getting their share of the pie. Walmart  is downsizing it's retail division and concentrating on the grocery stores.  They are at this moment building a HUGE grocery store with drive through pharmacy and gas pumps here in Seviervlle.  Don't be thinking they are going under they see "FOOD" a more productive future. They are going after KROGER.  The manager here said they are planning hundreds of new grocery stores with gas pumps in the works. 

Edited by Ron_TN

Yeah I do think this has something to do with the wage increase. Walmart will just move a few employees to the next closest now busier store and will terminate many employees improving their balance sheet in the process. Way to go democrats. This is your minimum wage increase at its finest. Enjoy.

A few years back when there was a cut to welfare as part of a budget deal, Walmart admitted to investors that it's been the cuts to food stamps were hurting their bottom line.  As OS mentioned, the minimum wage hasn't increased at the federal level since 2009, and that was only the last part of a phased increase. 

So, really, way to go Republicans.  Though I'm not shedding tears for Walmart getting less welfare dollars.

They only made 275 billion in their grocery store's last year....."BILLION"  Do you think Walmart is getting their share of the pie. Walmart  is downsizing it's retail division and concentrating on the grocery stores.  They are at this moment building a HUGE grocery store with drive through pharmacy and gas pumps here in Seviervlle.  Don't be thinking they are going under they see "FOOD" a more productive future. They are going after KROGER.  The manager here said they are planning hundreds of new grocery stores with gas pumps in the works. 

They're doing all they can to increase the amount of food stamps that are spent in their stores.  Kroger is the only other large chain that can go head to head with Walmart for dollars from low income or welfare dependent homes, and Walmart wants to change that to balance out the losses in retail sales.