Informing a LEO that your carrying, at a traffic stop

Guest johnmattwill

Guest johnmattwill

We were taught in HCP class to always inform an LEO, if stopped for a traffic violation, that we were carrying, upfront and as soon as possible.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences they could share, getting stopped by LEO for a traffic violation and informing the LEO that you were carrying.... How did the LEO react??? Courteous and Favorably, or Unfavorably????

Thanks all for your responses!!!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to do that is to have a colored copy of your drivers license, registration, insurance card, and Handgun permit all on one page kept on your visor, once pulled over hand that paper to the officer and then let him or her know that you are carrying, I have done this several times and the officer has always been kind and asked for the real documents, in my experience it shows the officer that you are a law abiding citizen and shows him or her that you respect their position,

I would advise to not tell them unless asked. In TN your not required to inform the officer unless they ask you if you are carrying a firearm. I always as ask during a traffic stop anyways. If you are carrying, keep your hands in a visible place. if you must go near your firearm to get your ID or other paperwork, Inform the officer at that time. The biggest thing is that you don't want surprises on either parties behalf. Some officers react differently. Newer officers maybe more wary than older officers. Just remember, if your cool, calm, and collected, the officer will be the same, hopefully.

Guest Traumaslave

I hand my HCL out on top of my DL as soon as the officer gets to my door. Both times I was pulled over, they asked where it was and told me to leave it there (was on my hip). I was involved in an accident and the very green officer, when I informed him, told me to take it off and put it in my truck. I told him that I was not allowed to touch my sidearm in his presence and that I wouldn't. He told me to go ahead and do so anyway "just to make him feel better". With that I had to unload and hide it deep in the truck since my kids were in there instead of on the side of the road. I didn't like the idea so much but, whatcha gunna do?

Considering the one time I was pulled over for expired tags and he saw my permit before I managed to say I had one and was carrying... and I was thrown against the cruiser... and my guns thrown on the roof of my car... and I was booked and fingerprinted...

... I'd tell him. Don't listen to the post two above mine.

I would advise to not tell them unless asked. In TN your not required to inform the officer unless they ask you if you are carrying a firearm. I always as ask during a traffic stop anyways. If you are carrying, keep your hands in a visible place. if you must go near your firearm to get your ID or other paperwork, Inform the officer at that time. The biggest thing is that you don't want surprises on either parties behalf. Some officers react differently. Newer officers maybe more wary than older officers. Just remember, if your cool, calm, and collected, the officer will be the same, hopefully.

+1

Unless I am asked I will never offer the infomation. If I am asked I am required by law to tell him that I have a HCP and that I am armed. I always have my window down and my DL in hand with both hands on the wheel by the time the LEO gets to my door. I got pulled over for having a headlight out about a year ago... he didn't ask and I didn't offer... no problems.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Considering the one time I was pulled over for expired tags and he saw my permit before I managed to say I had one and was carrying... and I was thrown against the cruiser... and my guns thrown on the roof of my car... and I was booked and fingerprinted...

Well, considering that I have been an POST certified officer for 10.5 years, and I work Criminal Interdiction as part of my job, I may know what I am talking about. I also teach the HCP course and a State certified instructor, and I am also a POST certified firearms instructor. I don't know what happened in your case, but I really don't care. I know what I am talking about and would not give out poor or illegal advice. BTW, I may know a few more officers than you and what their reactions would be as well.

How did he see your permit before? You were booked and finger printed for what?

Not sure about Tennessee, but Florida knows you have a permit after running your plates, I think it is the same here?

No, I only know that you have a permit after running your DL. That info shows up then, not when you run a tag.

I am more than thankful when someone informs me first thing that they have a CCW permit and a weapon on them. Once I run there license and find out that they didn't tell me, then it is a different story. People look at this in different ways. I believe that everybody should have a CCW permit and carry there weapon 24/7. These thugs need to be stopped in there tracks. You can't rely on someone else to protect you 24/7.

If they can’t see it I wouldn’t tell them unless I thought the conversation may get me out of a ticket. And that is a very real possibility and I think that’s why most people want to tell them. :D

On the other hand… if it is where they (or their partner coming up the other side of the car) can see it I’m letting them know real fast that I’m armed.

If they can’t see it I wouldn’t tell them unless I thought the conversation may get me out of a ticket. And that is a very real possibility and I think that’s why most people want to tell them. :D

On the other hand… if it is where they (or their partner coming up the other side of the car) can see it I’m letting them know real fast that I’m armed AND HAVE A CARRY PERMIT.

There fixed it for you.

Being a LEO I want to know just so there's no surprises. I've pulled over a few people over that have been armed and have a valid permit. They have enformed me at first contact. I have never asked for someone to disarm nor do I intend to unless there is a legitimate cause for concern. On the same note I'm not going to treat someone different just because they didn't tell me. As for steelharp's account I can assure you this is not the norm or there is more to this story than he is saying.

Chattanooga PD has computers in their cars and when they run your info it comes up with a yes or no next to carry permit. so there is no real need to tell them.

I was pulled over in East Ridge (part of Chattanooga for the most part) for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sight. when the officer saw i had a permit ( I keep the permit on top of my DL) he said oh don't worry you are not getting a ticket. He went back to his car smoked a cigarette and came back and said have a nice night.

Most cops at least in the chatt area are more forgiving if you have a permit. They know you are a law abiding citizen (for the most part :D) and have gone through a lot to get a permit and are not likely to screw up to get it taken away.

I was pulled over for speeding on my way home from work once by a THP on I-40 west as it runs through Cheatham County.

The LEO came to the passenger side which I wasn't expecting.

I went through the routine properly as I should, but had problems retrieving my insurance card from my wallet. I had to lay my wallet out on the center armrest.

I keep my HCP behind my TDL. Having already taken my TDL and registration, he saw my HCP still in the little window of my wallet.

He quickly put his hand on his side arm and asked if I had a weapon in the truck.

I carry one under the center armrest all the time, but had had it out for cleaning and couldn't really remember putting back.

I had to think for a moment and then replied "yes".

He quickly replied,"DON'T show it to me". I complied.

I then asked why he got so defensive after seeing my HCP in my wallet.

He just answered, "you never can tell."

Justice was served when he asked me if I'd been drinking because he could smell something sour emitting from the cab.

I mentioned that since he had approached the passenger's side instead of the driver's side of my truck, had he noticed that he may be standing in litter on the shoulder of the interstate.

Bingo! As he looked down, he was obviously standing in something rotten and let me knowing by replying "SH*T!, It's all over my shoes!"

Must have pissed him off pretty good. He wrote me up a real good one.:D

We were taught in HCP class to always inform an LEO, if stopped for a traffic violation, that we were carrying, upfront and as soon as possible.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences they could share, getting stopped by LEO for a traffic violation and informing the LEO that you were carrying.... How did the LEO react??? Courteous and Favorably, or Unfavorably????

Thanks all for your responses!!!

As you can see there are many varying opinions, even among LEOs. By informing right away you may make an issue out of something that otherwise would not have been. If you don't inform, the officer runs your DL, finds out you have a HCP, ask you if you armed and you say yes, you may get a lecture that you should have informed him right away (although you legally don't have to) So at the end of the day, you just have to make the decision at that time based on the circumstances at that time.

I hope when you say you were "taught" to inform right away that you weren't told it was the law you have to at least.

Here are a couple of other threads with a similar info if you want to read them.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196

Well, considering that I have been an POST certified officer for 10.5 years, and I work Criminal Interdiction as part of my job, I may know what I am talking about. I also teach the HCP course and a State certified instructor, and I am also a POST certified firearms instructor. I don't know what happened in your case, but I really don't care. I know what I am talking about and would not give out poor or illegal advice. BTW, I may know a few more officers than you and what their reactions would be as well.

Simmer down there skippy, some people been wearing blue and teaching courses a little longer then you and they also know steelharps story. That being said he was stopped by a traffic nazi with a little man complex... and yes there are plenty of them out there. Another tidbit, the agency that stopped him is known for handling permit holders very aggressive. Sad but true.

All that being said its simple courtesy to inform the officer. It doesnt hurt a thing and in most cases is appreciated.

Simmer down there skippy, some people been wearing blue and teaching courses a little longer then you and they also know steelharps story. That being said he was stopped by a traffic nazi with a little man complex... and yes there are plenty of them out there. Another tidbit, the agency that stopped him is known for handling permit holders very aggressive. Sad but true.

All that being said its simple courtesy to inform the officer. It doesnt hurt a thing and in most cases is appreciated.

Ummm..which agency is that?

I have done both. I have handed the officer the permit with my license and not given it to him at all. The one I didn't give it too asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle when he returned. I said yes sir. He asked where it was and told me to leave it there and keep my hands visible. No sweat there.

The officer I gave it too already knew me pretty well and just asked how many concealed handguns I had on me...lol. He just wanted to see my new pistol, it was the only reason he pulled me over. :cop:

I have several friends that are LEOs and I try to put myself in their shoes. They are just trying to do a job and get home to their families. Hopefully, careful screening keeps out the rouge, "I wanna be a cop so I can beat somebody down" types.

I have always presented my carry permit with my TDL and it has gotten me out of every ticket, although, I haven't been pulled over very much. (Presenting the HCP will induce the inevitable question about you carrying at the time.)

Like the golden rule says, I just treat them the way I would want to be treated if I was in their spot.

Edited by jay1313g
added info