Obama Oil Tax

NextExit

If O gets his way, we'll pay another 20-25 cents a gallon:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-much-obamas-oil-tax-would-add-to-the-price-of-gasoline-2016-02-05?siteid=yhoof2

Obama is adamant about the advantages the tax will create. “We’ll look back and say that was a smart investment. It’s right to do it now, when gas prices are really low,” he said Friday.   

Obama may think he can “slip the tax through…without many realizing that they’re paying the government more to fuel their vehicles and warm their houses” because oil and gasoline prices are low right now.

Strange, as price decreases at the pump, it encourages consumption, which increases existing federal and state tax revenues. Since liars figure and figures don't lie the percentage of tax paid by the consumer also increases, becoming regressive on low income and not progressive for upper income.

Very liberal plan or is it conservative? Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 2

This has zero chance of passing in congress.  It is at best a publicity stunt and a bad one.  Not going to help the Democrats come November no one likes the idea of a 30 to 40 cents increase in their cost of gas and it helps remind people the Democrats like to tax everything that moves.

Thanks

Robert

If this passes (doubtful), I will be commuting on my motorcycle much more, my truck and my wallet are enjoying the current gas prices.  Generally, I agree with "flat" taxes (like sales tax)...the more you spend, the more you pay.  They are fair for both the rich and the poor.  However, in this situation, it hurts those in rural areas more, as we have a longer commute.  It also hurts farmers and transportation based companies.  if the price of trucking goes up, then the price of everything goes up.

Why can't we have less spending?

Like Phil Valentine, I would be open for an increase in gas taxes if a single rule was followed and the current taxes were not sufficient.

Put the gas tax back to 100% towards infrastructure that involves highways, roads, bridges etc.  And stop pulling money out for parks, bike paths, or public transportation like subsidies to bus systems that are never profitable and support 0.5% of the population.

Put the gas tax back to 100% towards infrastructure that involves highways, roads, bridges etc.  And stop pulling money out for parks, bike paths, or public transportation like subsidies to bus systems that are never profitable and support 0.5% of the population.

Public transportation in major cities that have it serves a few useful purposes that make it worth the investment.

1. It keeps people off the road by giving them an alternate way to get to work.  Imagine if everyone who took the bus or train in NYC, Boston, and DC added to an already overcrowded commute.
  2. It helps people who can't afford a car, or would have problems with gas money when it spikes, get to work so they are actually contributing to society instead of sitting at home living only on government checks.
  3. It's helps tourism in cities that have it by giving visitors a way to get around easily.
  4. There are the carbon savings that come from keeping all those extra cars off the road, but I doubt many people on here care about that.

Public transportation in major cities that have it serves a few useful purposes that make it worth the investment.

1. It keeps people off the road by giving them an alternate way to get to work.  Imagine if everyone who took the bus or train in NYC, Boston, and DC added to an already overcrowded commute.
  2. It helps people who can't afford a car, or would have problems with gas money when it spikes, get to work so they are actually contributing to society instead of sitting at home living only on government checks.
  3. It's helps tourism in cities that have it by giving visitors a way to get around easily.
  4. There are the carbon savings that come from keeping all those extra cars off the road, but I doubt many people on here care about that.

Notice the three cities you mention are extremely densely populated. So all 50 states need to contribute to the benefit of maybe 10 cities' public transportation system?  NO THANKS.

Want to see how bad Nashville's bus system is on our budget?  This is replicated all across the country thousands of times.

Capture.png

It generates 16.8 million in revenue and costs 56.8 EXTRA million to operate.  Running an annual deficit of $56,800,000 a year for a town in our state. $56,800,000 we are paying in taxes, so a few thousand people can pay a few dollars to ride a bus instead of walk or get a bike or carpool (if you're worried about that horrible 'carbon footprint'). 

For $56,800,000 we could buy over 11,000 people $5,000 cars per year and they would be contributing a lot more back to society by paying taxes at the pump than a ticket for a bus that is operating on a 300% loss.  Not saying I suggest that, but it shows the ludicrousy of the programs. 

<edited - had to redo my math>

Edited by Sam1