Decent AK factory gun?

Sam1

WASR 10 + ammunition or a Arsenal SLR107, my friend.

Agree with the WASR and SLR-107 recommendations,  I'm strictly a com bloc import guy,  get them and own them while they are still available.  I've had great luck with Zastava N-Pap's and O-Paps also and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them also.

Late to thread but a, m70ab2 Yugo under folder can be had $550-600.

Many people find them to be good shooters, but underfolders aren't for everyone, I recommend shouldering one before buying one. 

Also, the Yugo M70AB2 is a Century parts kit build with and American receiver and barrel, so it's not a true Combloc factory built import.

The one I wasn't able to go after was $500 with two mags virtually new Century WASR-10.  Of course new ones around $625-$650 from places such as Atlantic etc. but I prefer FTF local.

That would have been a great deal for $500. If you are unable to buy FTF, Atlantic is the place to do it, they stand behind what they sell and do a visual QC before shipping out.

Does anyone have any comments on Polish imports?

Such as ? Anything  I.O. / Pioneer Arms imported abominations with claims of being made in Radom,  stay far away from. Aside from those you basically only have surplus parts kits guns built on American receivers and barrels with varying quality depending on the builder.

Such as ? Anything  I.O. / Pioneer Arms imported abominations with claims of being made in Radom,  stay far away from. Aside from those you basically only have surplus parts kits guns built on American receivers and barrels with varying quality depending on the builder.

Such as the one shown in the link. :)  (Click on the "Polish". It's a Atlantic import.)

Such as the one shown in the link. :)  (Click on the "Polish". It's a Atlantic import.)

Hmmm, somehow I missed that link :)  It's a very nice looking rifle and Atlantic has a great reputation and does high quality work. On the forums I follow people have had no complaints, I'm just not a fan of parts kits builds and condone getting factory built imports while we still can.

Good thread, I was curious on this as well. How do you tell if the WASR is current production?

Most of the 2015 and newer WASR's have light finished solid wood furniture and older models used a plywood laminate. They are also selling a newer model called the WASR RH10 with Magpul furniture and combo front sight gas block. This is the same rifle that was imported as the Romanian M+M M10 a few years ago, now rebranded by Century as the WASR RH10.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/rh10-ak47-magpul-ri2424-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

Most of the 2015 and newer WASR's have light finished solid wood furniture and older models used a plywood laminate. They are also selling a newer model called the WASR RH10 with Magpul furniture and combo front sight gas block. This is the same rifle that was imported as the Romanian M+M M10 a few years ago, now rebranded by Century as the WASR RH10.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/rh10-ak47-magpul-ri2424-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

Back several years ago when AK's were more reasonable in price I passed on a WASR that was on sale at Dunham's for $399. It had the plywood furniture and the fit and finish made me say in my head, "I'm not paying $400 for this..."

I guess I should have bought it along with a couple of crates of SKS's. Should have also bought several Pythons while I'm kicking my self in the butt.

Back several years ago when AK's were more reasonable in price I passed on a WASR that was on sale at Dunham's for $399. It had the plywood furniture and the fit and finish made me say in my head, "I'm not paying $400 for this..."

I guess I should have bought it along with a couple of crates of SKS's. Should have also bought several Pythons while I'm kicking my self in the butt.

I know, it would have been a good investment. As more imported options are either banned or supplies are no longer available, what was once considered the bottom of the barrel is now a mostly respected rifle.

Don't forget about something to carry your new tool in.

7c84401dba685a03497c7bb31d6ac005_zpssfx7

That is creative.  I built myself a hot wire foam cutting table and have since made several "custom" creations.  One I like really well is my Sub-2000 Executive brief case.  My biggest challenge is finding suitable foam.

Edited by tacops

You need to chek your info. The polish imports that IO brought in were made in Poland in the city of Radom, but not the famed military circle 10 Radom factory. That being said, the imports are very good guns. Anything else IO makes you are correct. Their "Polish" blueprint guns made all in America are terrible.

You need to chek your info. The polish imports that IO brought in were made in Poland in the city of Radom, but not the famed military circle 10 Radom factory. That being said, the imports are very good guns. Anything else IO makes you are correct. Their "Polish" blueprint guns made all in America are terrible.

Yes, I'm aware how they attempted to profit from the confusion of invoking the Radom name in cooperation with Pioneer Arms which was located just down the street in they city of Radom. From my understanding, I.O. still managed to screw up many of those imports, using the Polish receivers, barrels and trunnions that were imported and then fleshed out in the US with Romanian parts. I have read that at least some of the Hellpup pistol owners were pleased and the imported Beryl Archers appear to be mostly ok.

Edited by dangerdawg

AKs to avoid, going to be a big, long list:

RAS 47's (They are using cast trunions and are falling like flies)

Where is the info on this?  I saw your comment and did some searching over the past couple of days on the issue.  I can only find report of a single example of a failed trunnion on a RAS 47 that the majority of people seem to think was the result of an out-of-battery discharge.  I can't find any other documented incident of the cast trunnion failures.  In fact, I'm finding that there is evidence to suggest that many of the com-block AKs may have used cast trunnions that were finish milled.  I ask because I bought one, but haven't shot it yet, so if I'm better off taking a beating to sell it then I'll do it, but not based on one incident.  

The funny thing is that I avoided buying an AK for quite a while because all I kept reading were stories of AKs made with junk parts and coming with crooked sights - especially the WASR rifles - yet when I finally buy one, I hear rumor that I managed to buy junk.  I don't understand how so many specimens of a rifle that is allegedly so simple to produce and nearly impossible to break is consistently given terrible reviews on the web unless you spend over $1000 on what is supposed to be a cheap and easy-to-manufacture firearm.  

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Where is the info on this?  I saw your comment and did some searching over the past couple of days on the issue.  I can only find report of a single example of a failed trunnion on a RAS 47 that the majority of people seem to think was the result of an out-of-battery discharge.  I can't find any other documented incident of the cast trunnion failures.  In fact, I'm finding that there is evidence to suggest that many of the com-block AKs may have used cast trunnions that were finish milled.  I ask because I bought one, but haven't shot it yet, so if I'm better off taking a beating to sell it then I'll do it, but not based on one incident.  

The funny thing is that I avoided buying an AK for quite a while because all I kept reading were stories of AKs made with junk parts and coming with crooked sights - especially the WASR rifles - yet when I finally buy one, I hear rumor that I managed to buy junk.  I don't understand how so many specimens of a rifle that is allegedly so simple to produce and nearly impossible to break is consistently given terrible reviews on the web unless you spend over $1000 on what is supposed to be a cheap and easy-to-manufacture firearm.  

The RAS-47 seems to be having a lot of issues lately and I would avoid them or any of Century's American made AK's if possible.   The WASR's were once frowned upon, but of late, there has been an uptick in quality of the imports and the 2015 and newer is highly recommended as a solid entry level option. I recommend you watch some of the AK Operators Union videos. Rob from AKOU has purchased a RAS-47 with his own funds and is peforming a 5000 round torture test on it. Thus far, less than 1500 rounds through it and the internal bolt carrier group is showing significant wear, the stock is cracking and one of the ears broke off the front sight post. It's as if the materials used throughout these is of inferior quality or was improperly heat treated, 

Here's the videos on the RAS-47 for reference the first at 500 rds, then 1000 and 1500rds follow -

500 rds -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUwE7eL-2g

1000 rds -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIyZx7oYXRg

1500 rds -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PpSluO4-A

As for your other comments, making a stamped AK takes skill along with proper techniques and tooling, it's not like putting a hunk of steel on a CNC machine and pop goes the weasel. The Combloc countries have had the proper tooling, techniques and cheap labor in place for decades. It costs more to get that infrastructure up and running in the USA with a skilled workforce that isn't going to work for just a loaf of bread and a bottle of vodka.

For Reference, here is a recent WASR torture test by AKOU, it performed very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUOfDcLX0I

Edited by dangerdawg
  • Like 2

The RAS-47 seems to be having a lot of issues lately and I would avoid them or any of Century's American made AK's if possible. The WASR's were once frowned upon, but of late, there has been an uptick in quality of the imports and the 2015 and newer is highly recommended as a solid entry level option. I recommend you watch some of the AK Operators Union videos. Rob from AKOU has purchased a RAS-47 with his own funds and is peforming a 5000 round torture test on it. Thus far, less than 1500 rounds through it and the internal bolt carrier group is showing significant wear, the stock is cracking and one of the ears broke off the front sight post. It's as if the materials used throughout these is of inferior quality or was improperly heat treated,

[...]

As for your other comments, making a stamped AK takes skill along with proper techniques and tooling, it's not like putting a hunk of steel on a CNC machine and pop goes the weasel. The Combloc countries have had the proper tooling, techniques and cheap labor in place for decades. It costs more to get that infrastructure up and running in the USA with a skilled workforce that isn't going to work for just a loaf of bread and a bottle of vodka.

For Reference, here is a recent WASR torture test by AKOU, it performed very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUOfDcLX0I

I appreciate the info, and if you sense any frustration, it's not directed at you. I guess I need to just box my RAS 47 up and try to find another firearm to trade it for at a major loss. Like I said, I avoided the WASR because of literally dozens of critical reviews on the web. I avoided Yugo AKs due to dozens of critical reviews. I avoided the PSA version of the AK due to negative reviews. I avoided others due to negative reviews. At the time I read several good reviews of the RAS 47 - including a fairly positive review by Rob Ski - and found only minimal gripes about it. And now I find out the whole damn thing is garbage. It seems the only way to get a decent AK is to spend over $1000 and I'm not spending that on an AK when I can darn near buy a Springfield M1A for that much (although I keep reading negative reviews of those due to the cast receiver). I've never seen a category of firearms simultaneously have such high praise and continuous negative feedback as the AK platform. I'll just stick with the AR platform and buy an SKS. Edited by East_TN_Patriot

If you avoid guns assembled in the US you will be fine. Doesn't matter if the kits are overseas kits. There are only a couple of 100% foreign made AKs on the market. WASR, I believe the NPAP df, Saiga, VEPR and a few others like the Polish Radom AKs but they are not built at the famous factory. But even so I would say the Polish gun will best most of the American guns just because they are obviously better at making AKs than we are.

WASR is the only one I would buy right now and they are under $650 shipped.

If you want an American made gun get an AR but if you want an AK go overseas.

If you avoid guns assembled in the US you will be fine. Doesn't matter if the kits are overseas kits. There are only a couple of 100% foreign made AKs on the market. WASR, I believe the NPAP df, Saiga, VEPR and a few others like the Polish Radom AKs but they are not built at the famous factory. But even so I would say the Polish gun will best most of the American guns just because they are obviously better at making AKs than we are.

WASR is the only one I would buy right now and they are under $650 shipped.

If you want an American made gun get an AR but if you want an AK go overseas.

Is there a shop in the Knoxville area that has a WASR? In shopping around for the RAS, I never saw any.

Also, the last few years of the current standard WASR 10 apparently simply have the year number as the last two digits after the dash. Mine are 12 and 13 for example, or both 13, can't remember and I'm not at home to check.

If Cujir actually starts exporting them again in spring/summer like they have stated, price should get back down around the 5 bill mark maybe.

WASR.jpg

WASR2.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Also, the last few years of the current standard WASR 10 apparently simply have the year number as the last two digits after the dash. Mine are 12 and 13 for example, or both 13, can't remember and I'm not at home to check.

If Cujir actually starts exporting them again in spring/summer like they have stated, price should get back down around the 5 bill mark maybe.

- OS

Nice looking rifles ! I'd love to seem them that low, but unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see them below $600 again as long as Century is controlling the imports from Cugir. 

Edited by dangerdawg