We're Back!!! Upgrade to IPBoard 4 complete!

7 hours ago, NextExit said:

From what I've seen, circular avatars seem to be the new thing.  I don't know why. It limits what you can use.  I'm tempted to switch to something round like a tire, silver dollar, record, etc. <_<

The object doesn't need to be round, just needs enough white space around it to force it into the middle.  Some of the older avatars actually fit quite well in the circle, I like it.

Okay, I'm still having major TT withdrawal.   Unless you guys are using a different mobile version than me, I'm not seeing anyway someone can say it's better than TT.    Maybe you were using a very old TT version because the current version gives you a ton of viewing and navigation options that the mobile version doesn't seem to offer.  

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Okay, I'm still having major TT withdrawal.   Unless you guys are using a different mobile version than me, I'm not seeing anyway someone can say it's better than TT.    Maybe you were using a very old TT version because the current version gives you a ton of viewing and navigation options that the mobile version doesn't seem to offer.  

The new IPB mobile version is basically a slimmed and trmmed up desktop version of IPB v4. It's really nice.

I'd say the only thing Tapatalk has on IPB v4 mobile is the ability to directly embed images and video. But anyone with a Photobucket and YouTube account can do the same. It just takes a couple steps more to do. 

A couple issues Tapatalk has in IPB v4 are that it won't show some of the html, nor Facebook and Twitter posts, etc. 

Example: Facebook embeds with direct links.

You won't even be able to see that in Tapatalk....

Edited by JohnC
29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The new IPB mobile version is basically a slimmed and trmmed up desktop version of IPB v4. It's really nice.

I'd say the only thing Tapatalk has on IPB v4 mobile is the ability to directly embed images and video. But anyone with a Photobucket and YouTube account can do the same. It just takes a couple steps more to do. 

Just for clarification, when I'm on a mobile device and viewing the site, am I automatically using the IPB mobile version or do I have to set it up to view in that mode?  If I have to set it up, what are the steps because I poked around and didn't see anything?   

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Just for clarification, when I'm on a mobile device and viewing the site, am I automatically using the IPB mobile version or do I have to set it up to view in that mode?  If I have to set it up, what are the steps because I poked around and didn't see anything?   

There is no "Mobile Version".  The forum software detects that you are on a mobile device and delivers what is considered a minimalist copy of the site to you.  You have to do nothing different.

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

There is no "Mobile Version".  The forum software detects that you are on a mobile device and delivers what is considered a minimalist copy of the site to you.  You have to do nothing different.

Don't know why I called it "mobile version." My mistake. It's been a long week for me. lol

It is actually a responsive design that adjusts to whatever device or PC you're using to view it in. So it's basically the same as the desktop view, just scaled down to fit your screen. The CKEditor, depending on Admin settings, can have a few less tools, but beyond that, you lose nothing in functionality. 

Edited by JohnC
38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don't know why I called it "mobile version." My mistake. It's been a long week for me. lol

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Okay, now that I know I was indeed viewing in the mobile version, I'm definitely going to have to disagree in the differences.    With TT I get a tab selection to allow me to view:  Trending, Subforums, Timeline (most recent posts), Unread, Subscribed, and my favorite, Participated.    In the various sections I get a preview of the last viewed post in all the threads, and if there are any pictures in the OP, it shows that too in the preview.    I also like their notification feature that tells me the specific notification and which forum it came from with a swipe.  Also, on my TT home page I can quickly switch between various forums with one touch.    And as you mentioned, the ability to embed pics directly off the phone.   

So in all I've found TT very useful for me.   YMMV.

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 3
25 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Okay, now that I know I was indeed viewing in the mobile version, I'm definitely going to have to disagree in the differences.    With TT I get a tab selection to allow me to view:  Trending, Subforums, Timeline (most recent posts), Unread, Subscribed, and my favorite, Participated.    In the various sections I get a preview of the last viewed post in all the threads, and if there are any pictures in the OP, it shows that too in the preview.    I also like their notification feature that tells me the specific notification and which forum it came from with a swipe.  Also, on my TT home page I can quickly switch between various forums with one touch.    And as you mentioned, the ability to embed pics directly off the phone.   

So in all I've found TT very useful for me.   YMMV.

Same can be done here, just different.  The filters across the top gives you all things you mentioned, and at least in chrome, I use tabs which have all my favorite forums open to jump between them.  The only plus TT had was posting pics directly in your post from your device, ATM that can be done here but space is limited.

1 minute ago, Omega said:

Same can be done here, just different.  The filters across the top gives you all things you mentioned, and at least in chrome, I use tabs which have all my favorite forums open to jump between them.  The only plus TT had was posting pics directly in your post from your device, ATM that can be done here but space is limited.

The one thing I really liked about tapatalk was when you went through several pages of a thread you hit back once and it took you straight back to the list of unreads. You can kind of do that now, but the last one you viewed dissapears...

• Administrator

Guys, I promise I am not casually dismissing your preference for Tapatalk, but I really have no desire or intent to go back to using it on TGO.  The software is very problematic from a server-side perspective, and it is very limiting to the user even though you guys may not realize it yet.  You only see what Tapatalk wants you to see, and can only experience the features that Tapatalk wants you to experience.

The minimalist presentation of TGO on a mobile device is currently bone stock.  We haven't even started to explore how it can be customized, improved upon, etc.

Remnants of Tapatalk being installed very nearly wrecked the forum database Thursday night during our upgrade.  I seriously don't think anyone really believes that the conveniences of Tapatalk are worth obliterating nine years worth of TGO.... do they???  We came really close to that happening.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Guys, I promise I am not casually dismissing your preference for Tapatalk, but I really have no desire or intent to go back to using it on TGO.  The software is very problematic from a server-side perspective, and it is very limiting to the user even though you guys may not realize it yet.  You only see what Tapatalk wants you to see, and can only experience the features that Tapatalk wants you to experience.

The minimalist presentation of TGO on a mobile device is currently bone stock.  We haven't even started to explore how it can be customized, improved upon, etc.

Remnants of Tapatalk being installed very nearly wrecked the forum database Thursday night during our upgrade.  I seriously don't think anyone really believes that the conveniences of Tapatalk are worth obliterating nine years worth of TGO.... do they???  We came really close to that happening.

Fair enough, I'll stop my whining now.    Didn't realize it was that difficult to interface with.    

Thanks for all your efforts and hard work with the forum.    Same goes for the Mods!     

• Like 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, enfield said:

Ditto on the light-colored theme.  On my tablet it's like staring into a flashlight.

People keep saying this, but the old TGO theme and the new TGO theme are almost identical in terms of colors used and the way the colors are distributed.  There is so little difference between the two it isn't even funny.

I don't understand how this seems "brighter" or more white or whatever.  I am seriously confused by this response.

5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

People keep saying this, but the old TGO theme and the new TGO theme are almost identical in terms of colors used and the way the colors are distributed.  There is so little difference between the two it isn't even funny.

I don't understand how this seems "brighter" or more white or whatever.  I am seriously confused by this response.

Was there some brown accents on the other version maybe?

• Authorized Vendor
17 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Well I don't know why either but yeah...it does seem a bit bright for the eyes, just sayin'.

Plus 1 on the brightness.  When at home I use an IPad in the same location and the same lighting.  I have not changed the brightness setting in so long I had to search my settings to change it.  It was at about 75% and auto brightness on. To be easy on the eyes I've had to turn it down to about 20%.

There is also a link at the bottom right that says the same thing "Unread Content", great addition IMO, I used to have to scroll all the way back to the top to get to the link which was a PITA on a touch screen.

When I first used the Unread Content it asked about making it my default stream, said yes but not sure what that did.

• Like 2