Who knows tractors?

We are looking for a smaller tractor we can use for general stuff around the property. Right now we are needing something to drag a yard box to finish some work we just had done. We will also be using it to dig holes for fence posts before the end of the year.

The two I am looking at are a Ford 1100 and a Yanmar 1401. Both are similar in specs and pricing but not sure which would be better.

The Yanmar has a bucket loader but nothing else and the Ford has a bush hog, grader blade and a finish mower. Both have a PTO and rear lift. The Ford has the ability to accept a front loader as well as a rear bucket. The Ford is a 13hp diesel and the Yanmar is a 18hp diesel.

The ford has 287 hours and the Yanmar has 154 hours.

Anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about either I would like to hear it.

Both are very small and will be limited to a 4' box blade at most. The hitches may not lift high enough to transport a post hole auger, either. Pay no attention to engine hp ratings, go by pto hp. The pto is where the implement connects and where power is transferred. An 18 ho engine may only be putting 12-13 hp to the pto. 

I'm not overly familiar with those two models, but before buying either figure out where you can get parts and service. If you want a loader, buy it with the tractor. They can be added later, but used ones are very hard to find and new ones are expensive. 

You don't mention transmission type. Hydro tends to work better on small tractors because you can get them going very slow for heavy work. I don't kow about these specific models, but have worked with a Ford 1210 and a 30hp yanmar (don't recall the model). The ford was a nice tractor but very light for any pulling work. Power wasn't a problem but it would spin all wheels if we tried to pull hard with it using a 4ft rake. The yanmar was heavier built but a bit rough around the edges 

both are two small for your needs.  for a pto post hole digger you need a bigger tractor than these two.  i got a yanmar 1602d that i did get my 3 pt hitch post hole digger to fit on but it was a lot of work to do.  i used it to dig holes in places i could not get the my other tractors in to.  i also have a ford 3910 and 4610.  they are much better tractors for heavy work.  the yanmars are gray market tractors and some are in better shape than others.  they ship them over here packed in a conex box broken down.  they get put back together along with fresh paint and some refurb.  i was lucky with the one i got 15 years ago.  it was done right and has never let me down.   but the hours on them are not the correct hours.  the hour meter rolls back to zero when it hits the nines.  so a 154 hours could be 1,154 hours, 2,154, and so on.  if a dealer/seller tells you the hours are correct i would walk away because he is lying.  if you go with a yanmar go with the 4 wheel drive model.  go as big as you can buy when it comes to tractors, you will never be under power it you do.  

You've been given some excellent advice in order to make your decision. I ran a Ford 1310 for a number of years with a PTO powered finishing mower and that's all it had enough power to do. It would do aright with a four foot box blade but only for leveling gravel or slowly working soft soil. If possible something in the 30-40 HP range will be a lot better for a small tractor. I just hope your fortunate enough to find something good at a fair price.

I have a 32 hp Kubota with FEL for general duties on my 5 acres.  Loader lifts around 1k lbs. Have a PD 10 Land Pride 3 pnt auger that works great on this tractor.

Also pull a 5' bush hog and Flail mower. At 32 hp I wish it had a bit more but really doesn't need as it has never let me down.

I had a older small (not much bigger than riding mower) 12 hp Kubota few years ago. Don't under estimate those small hp diesels. They are a work horse for pulling. Get as much HP at the PTO as possible if your using it for mowing and drilling.

I have a Kubota 18hp with 5' belly mower, it pulls 4' implements pretty good, I have a bush hog, box blade, and a boom to pick up some heavier items.  It's definitely underpowered for heavy use, but it does well on my food plots.  I do suggest you get a loader and if possible, get one you can park (the loader) easily, it helps when working in tight places.  I also suggest a ballast box vs putting liquid in the tires, because if you work on your lawn, as I do the extra weight will make ruts.

A friend at work has a small-ish Kubota and it's a darn useful little tractor.  I think its a B2650 and in the 25-30 hp range.  He's got the bucket, tiller, back hoe, and PhD attachments and it runs them all just fine. 

I have an 1986 Massy 1010 4X4. 16hp 3cylinder diesel and its been a super reliable tractor. Wish it was a 1020 for a few extra HP but it has done everything I want with nearly 8K hours. This is the entry level HP for a small tractor for most chores. Not sure if its heavy enough for any kind of serious post hole digging. Depends on the diameter hole you need to dig. Some of the best uses for the PTO is a pressure washer and a generator.

I've been looking at tractors for years and have boiled it down to the biggest lowest sitting tractor I can find. I have a lot of steep property and have nearly tipped everything I've had on it. 

Min actually considering a Mahindra over the kubota for weight, HP and price. 

If your land isn't that steep though, I would go big!

• Like 1

I have an older kubota L355ss and it does great. It's not a very big tractor but will amaze you with what it can do. It easily uses a 6' box blade and bush hog. It's 4x4 so that also helps and the front end loader works great. I bought it used 5 years ago and it still runs great . I highly recommend one if you can find one .

Edited by DT INC.

I have a Kubota L3250. It has 40 hp at the engine, and 32 hp at the pto according to specs. I've had it for about 14 years now. It is the perfect size for grading the driveway, making a garden, and mowing a large lawn. It'll operate a 6' bush hog, finishmower, or boxblade with ease.

My Kubota will crank in hot weather, cold weather, any weather with ease. It also uses very little fuel. It's been a great tractor. If I ever wear it out, I'll likely replace it with another Kubota.

I wouldn't want one much smaller.

• Like 1