Emergency Kit for Small Car

jgradyc

I just bought a used car, 2008 Mini Cooper S. I'm used to trucks and station wagons with lots of space, but this thing is tiny... not even enough room for a spare tire. I'm trying to figure out how to carry basic road emergency gear and tools. It has nothing in the storage area under the back hatch, which is only about 18" square and 4" deep. What should I add to this list?

• Slime Safety Spair Kit (air pump, Slime, gauge)
  • Tire Plug Kit
  • Multitool
  • Screwdriver with multiple bits
  • Knife
  • LED flashlight
  • Bungies
  • Cord/Thin rope
  • Drop cloth (doubles as a wrap to keep stuff from rattling)
  • Multimeter (small and I have a spare, so why not?)

What about jumper cables? The storage space is too small for a full sized jumper cable. I'd also carry a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit behind the seat. What am I missing?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

32 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

What should I add to this list?

A trailer :jester:

j/k

Looks like a good list for a small space. I also always like to have a small blanket and a bottle of water in my kit in case I get stuck somewhere for an extended period of time in hot or cold temps. Small vice grips? Duct tape?

Edited by Wingshooter
15 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

Looks like a good list for a small space. I also always like to have a small blanket and a bottle of water in my kit in case I get stuck somewhere for an extended period of time in hot or cold temps. Small vice grips? Duct tape?

I'll echo the blanket and water bottle.  I keep two space blankets (the foil things) a bottle of water, and two of those 400 calorie long-term storage energy bars. In my kit.  Also, I would put in a pair of split-leather work gloves, even if it's just for changing to a spare tire while in your Sunday best. The only time I've ever had to change a tire (of mine... changed lots for other folks) was on the way to church on a Sunday morning.  I was wearing light colored khakis and a baby blue shirt.  Sure was glad I had those gloves!

I have a small duffel bag in the trunk with a first aid kit, an emergency air compressor, jumper cables, some USCG emergency rations, tire plug kit, multitool and flashlight. It sits in the corner of the trunk and I know it is there if I need it. That is in addition to other items in the car, such as some water bottles, a spare tire, tire iron, pens, and tire gauge.

SPARE TIRE ! I don't care what you want to have but I would make room for a spare tire. There is no excuse for not having one. You will use a spare tire before any gun , first-aid kit or anything else. My friend has a high performace sports car and wont keep his spare tire in it because he wants to save weight. One day when he gets a flat I think telling him "I told you so" will be bitter sweet .

Edited by tercel89