Non-A1

jparris001

What I'm looking for, is a truly accurate offering of a WW1 1911. I guess the era of 1918 is what I'd consider ideal as far as what I'm looking for. I like and was considering the Cimarron gun but I really want the original long trigger and trigger pull, and although the original gun was prone to bite, I really don't want the larger beaver tail and "improved" hammer. My budget is going to reflect that this will need to be a clone. And I think even a clone from Colt is going to be out of my price range. 

So what out there is going to fill the bill? 

I think Cimarron Firearms made one, not a perfect copy, but close.

I've not seen one for sale in a couple years though.

well I'm an idjit. didn't read your whole post. You mentioned the cimarron. Dunno man. You might find a way to get parts and put together one, but I'm out of ideas.

Edited by cj0e
derp, reading comprehension
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, graycrait said:

And you can buy a fully restored to original specs 1911 1918 year model for a mere $5K from Turnbull.  

I guess they can be proud of something that pretty.

I would prefer a replica at that price than a molested original though. I have always thought Doug Turnbull does some very fine work.

1 hour ago, jparris001 said:

I think I'm changing gears. Couldn't find exactly what I wanted at a decent price, so I'n thinking CZ 75B SA. 

I think that is as good of an idea as any.  Although the 4 or so CZ75s I've had were all standard double actions a friend has one in SA, plus I had a Sig X-Five Tactical for a time that was SA.  Full size SA 9mms are fun to shoot, and 1911 9mms are just as fun (I've had several).  I view them as range toys or competition guns because I find them somewhat awkward for concealed carry. 

• Like 1

I'm sure there are other threads about how to change a CZ75 from DA to SA but here is one: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=621380

You might want to just contact this fella and ask him if you want to do a conversion rather than hunt or wait for a factory made SA.

https://cajungunworks.com/contact-v1/

Edited by graycrait
mistake

Found the non A1 this afternoon @ Shylock's Pawn shop in south Clinton. It's a genuine Colt 1911 with a 5 digit serial # , the last patent date is 1913 on the slide,it doesn't have the arched mainspring housing, does have the diminutive sights ,no duck bill web protector, etc., won't cost you anything but time & fuel to look @ it. Good Luck !

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jparris001 said:

The non-A1 nod goes to.............. a CZ 75B. I really wanted a SA but I'm going to be good with a de-cocker model. 

I know I didn't give y'all the option of straying from 1911s. But this is where it's led me. 

You won't go wrong with the CZ75B. I've owned several and been very happy with them. So much so I only have 2 of them now. lol