Co-worker accidentally shot himself...

He's alright, the round missed all vitals and was a through and through in the center of his palm between the ring finger and pinky finger. He had brought in his FNS-9 for me to look at, I cleaned it for him and reassembled it as I had recieved it and the mag was loaded. Well, I took out to him and he went to take it apart to see how different it was, as you know most striker fired weapons these days require the trigger to be pulled to takedown. He didn't remove the magazine and I didn't tell him otherwise, to which I'm at fault as well, when he pulled the trigger to complete the takedown you can guess what happened. I'm still pretty shook up about it but I can only imagine how he's feeling right now, he can really use some thoughts and prayers right now as this is not going to be a cheap endeavor since he is an oil changer with no insurance.

Yikes, glad it wasn't' worse.

I really hate how you have to pull the trigger to take down most of the striker fired pistols. My Ruger you do not have too, but on my Smith you do. The manufacturers are throwing safety out the window with this 'feature' - what happened to don't touch the trigger unless you mean to shoot....
  • Like 1
Yikes! I agree, I hate the aspect of most striker fired guns. That's part of the reason I reall like the M&P takedown... not only do you NOT pull the trigger, you have to have the gun locked open and cleared to pull the little internal takedown lever forward, making it VERY hard to have this accident.

I don't really think you share blame on this. First, it's obvious by sight and feel when a gun has a loaded magazine in it. Second, it is a person's duty, EVERY time they pick up a gun, to either verify it is loaded or clear the weapon depending on what they are going to do with it. It is a sad event and it is right to feel sorry for him, but it is simply not your doing that he shot himself. Easier said than done though, I know.
  • Like 1

Goes to show that you always check the chamber before pulling the trigger for breakdown.  Maybe he knew better and had a dumb moment, it happens to the best of us.  Maybe he just didn't know t always look first.  I don't want to armchair QB this I just want everyone who reads this to make it a practice to check the chamber before pulling the trigger for breakdown.

This is going to sound harsh.... 

This is because it needs to be harsh......

This was not an accident.....

This was negligence on both of you. 

There is a reason that professionals and trained individuals will always Unload and Show Clear to demonstrate the safety of any firearm that they hand to someone else.  The person accepting the firearm must also verify the unloaded and cleared state of the firearm.

Rule # 1.  All Guns Are Always Loaded - - - AND you must ALWAYS account that others WILL NOT understand that.

• Like 7
Guest TresOsos

If I am at the range shooting and a friend wants to shoot one of my guns, I will hand him the gun and specifically tell him its loaded with a round in the chamber.

Safety engaged. Or I will hand him the gun with the slide locked back and a then hand him a loaded mag and tell to check it.

Otherwise I never hand someone a loaded gun, revolvers I always hand it to them with the cylinder out and unloaded and tell them to check it.

Semi-auto's always with the magazine out and the slide locked back and tell them to check it.

Rifles, shotguns, same thing, bolt open or locked back, mag removed etc, basically action open, feeding devices removed if possible. "It should be unloaded, double check it"

Glad it was not more serious.

Edited by TresOsos

Glad he was not hurt worse. Not really your fault whitewolf in any way, your buddy really should not have given it to you for cleaning loaded and he is responsibe for checking it for himself and making sure where it is pointed when he pulls the trigger. I am sure everyone has learned a good lesson here. When handling firearms around others I generally like to have the mag out, action open, slide locked back, cylinder open, etc.

I have always disliked having to pull the trigger on the striker fired pistols before teardown. Even when I have double checked the chamber I still go outside and aim it at the ground when I pull the trigger and then come back inside for the teardown and cleaning. I have never felt comfortable with dry firing because it goes against my rules of always loaded, don't touch the trigger until ready to fire, etc.

Hope he gets better and I know this was not easy for you either but it could have been much worse.

Edited by McGarrett

This is going to sound harsh....

This is because it needs to be harsh......

This was not an accident.....

This was negligence on both of you.

There is a reason that professionals and trained individuals will always Unload and Show Clear to demonstrate the safety of any firearm that they hand to someone else. The person accepting the firearm must also verify the unloaded and cleared state of the firearm.

Rule # 1. All Guns Are Always Loaded - - - AND you must ALWAYS account that others WILL NOT understand that.

This. Also, did you return it with a loaded mag and empty chamber, or round chambered?

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

You simply don't hand a loaded gun back to someone. That is standard practice. Lock, clear and demonstrate such when you're handing someone a firearm. It's the same as when you pick one up. Both parties should have done as such. This is exactly why you do that. Hopefully a lesson was learned by both parties and from now on both of you will do this practice.

He's newly introduced to firearms, he made a rookie mistake and paid for it, one that I would almost gurantee that he'll never make again; if nothing else this was a HELL of a learning curve for myself, though I would hope with a hole in his hand that there would be one for him as well.

I don't get it.  :shake: 

I'm afraid I don't follow.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

He's alright, the round missed all vitals and was a through and through in the center of his palm between the ring finger and pinky finger. He had brought in his FNS-9 for me to look at, I cleaned it for him and reassembled it as I had recieved it and the mag was loaded. Well, I took out to him and he went to take it apart to see how different it was, as you know most striker fired weapons these days require the trigger to be pulled to takedown. He didn't remove the magazine and I didn't tell him otherwise, to which I'm at fault as well, when he pulled the trigger to complete the takedown you can guess what happened. I'm still pretty shook up about it but I can only imagine how he's feeling right now, he can really use some thoughts and prayers right now as this is not going to be a cheap endeavor since he is an oil changer with no insurance.

Hell if dudes this stupid he certainly doesn't need to own a gun and I wouldn't let him touch my car with a wrench either. I probably wouldn't let him touch it period. He'd probably forget to put oil in it or something.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Hell if dudes this stupid he certainly doesn't need to own a gun and I wouldn't let him touch my car with a wrench either. I probably wouldn't let him touch it period. He'd probably forget to put oil in it or something.

I take rather offense to that as he is a good kid and my friend, one of whom as I aforementioned made a costly mistake. I suppose you're a godsend and NEVER made a mistake in your ENTIRE life that you don't regret? The level of arrogance you just displayed has revealed more to me than I care to know about. Don't look down on people just because you've never made the same mistake as them as we are all human and while we try to learn from our mistakes, they're just that, a mistake.

• Like 2
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I take rather offense to that as he is a good kid and my friend, one of whom as I aforementioned made a costly mistake. I suppose you're a godsend and NEVER made a mistake in your ENTIRE life that you don't regret? The level of arrogance you just displayed has revealed more to me than I care to know about. Don't look down on people just because you've never made the same mistake as them as we are all human and while we try to learn from our mistakes, they're just that, a mistake.

Sure i've made mistakes but not one that could have gotten someone killed. If I had done something like that I'd never carry a gun again for fear id hurt someone. You know what happens to people where I work that have negligent discharges? They are fired and prosecuted as a civil matter if any damage is done. I was not nor am I arrogant. I'm just expressing my opinion and nothing more. I'm sorry if your offended but you should be thicker skinned. I think someone earlier pretty much said the same thing just not in as many words and you did not admonish them.