Magazines...stored full or empty when on standby?

Mine are empty when I come back from the range and I'm too lazy to relaod them. Otherwise, they stay full.

Mine are empty when I come back from the range and I'm too lazy to relaod them. Otherwise, they stay full.

Many of mine are empty when I leave the range but never all. The gun I carry is still loaded and back ups for it are also in my mag packs on my belt. Other than that, yea most are empty and gives me something to do when I return home.....lol  Reload the mags..........jmho

Guest Asanders

I'll give you a quick story that just happened to me last night...  I was in my garage working on a new gunstock when someone or something kicked my garage door, and it took me 5 minutes to fumble around for my SKS and load it.  I didn't find anyone when I opened my garage door locked and loaded, so I'll be keeping a couple more loaded than I already do. 

I'll give you a quick story that just happened to me last night...  I was in my garage working on a new gunstock when someone or something kicked my garage door, and it took me 5 minutes to fumble around for my SKS and load it.  I didn't find anyone when I opened my garage door locked and loaded, so I'll be keeping a couple more loaded than I already do.

In five minutes you should have been able to field strip, clean and reassemble it.
  • Like 2

Good one! According to the establishment just giving the Dems a blank check on the budget, you need to give all your mags away!

Back on topic, I keep some mags loaded with a round or two less than capacity. Also recommend having a bunch of mags on hand for all your combat guns. Then if a gun ban hits, heaven forbid, your set.

Will magazine springs take a "set"?  Absolutely.  Is this caused by being continuously compressed, or from the occasional compression/decompression?  Sorry, I can't help you with that one.  There are many theories about what causes mag set, but what really matters is that it does happen.  A weak mag spring will lead to feeding issues (more  than anything else) and ejection issues (commonly seen as stovepipes).  When these appear make a close inspection of the spring and plan for a replacement.  I prefer the overpower replacement springs from Wolff and watch the malfunctions disappear.  Be sure to trash your original springs as soon as they are out of the mag body to keep from using them again later by accident.  Also, closely inspect the mag body at the top for wear and tear, part of the mag chipped away, splits, etc. - speaking here about Glock mags and other polymer mag bodies.  If the mag body shows any of these ills, replace the entire mag.  A new mag spring, or entire magazine, is cheap insurance that your firearm will function as designed when needed.  Take your house pistol to the range occasionally and fire it to confirm correct function.  If it works correctly, all is well,  If it shows issues with feeding or ejection, start your inspection with the magazine and it's spring.  After all, wouldn't you want to find out your firearm had a function issue to correct at the range rather than when actually needing and using it.

Stumpy

More reasons I always have at least a handgun on my person at ALL times - and most certainly if I'm in a garage/workshop setting.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Willgary
For the comment on AR mags, I load only 28 rounds in a 30 rounder. They will always seat and the discharge handle never fails. Never thought about less pressure on the PMAG lips, though. Actually, I just got a Lancer mag with my new Reaper 33 - plastic with metal lips - love it. I will be selling my PMAGS if anybody's interested and replacing them with the translucent Lancer. Sent from my iPad using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

What do all of you do? What are your beliefs, or opinions, on this subject?

I choose not to believe in wives tales.... I believe that repetition is what weakens a spring. With that being said I keep all mags loaded at all times except for a stash of extra AR & AK mags...