North Woods Law!!!!!

I don't know if any of ya'll here have ever watched North Woods Law but it is a program on Animal Planet about the Game Wardens of the state of Maine. I was channel surfing one day and found it was just coming on and I watched it.

Now I do realize that is a reality type program per-say but I also know a few folks that live up in Maine and I called one of them and we talked about an hour and he also watches the show and has also met and had all positive dealings with several of the Wardens on the program.

He said about 95% of what you see on the program is in all reality exactly how the Warden Service performs in real life and operates every day. He said they are the actual police in the woods and also on highways and in towns. If they have someone driving recklessly on the highways they are authorized to stop and detain them, do sobriety tests and arrest them if they are impaired. The can legally search vehicles for anything from alcohol to drugs weapons and illegal game. If the TWRA was even 1/2 as active in doing their jobs as these men and women in Maine are they might deserve a raise.

I asked my friend who's name is Allen in Maine if the North Wood Law was any different before becoming a TV show and he said the truth is they were somewhat tougher before and there has been a few cases of stops and arrests that did have to be edited out during programing because they felt  they may not be suitable such as when they encountered a poacher of big game and he shot at them and they returned fire and killed the poacher. They also bust Mary Jane growers when they find fields during routine woods patrols. 

For those interested in seeing how a good Game Warden Service it is worth the watch........jmho

North Woods Law is a good show.  I have been watching it for a couple of years.

Warden's on the Outdoor Channel is also a good show.  It is about the game wardens in Montana.  I think that series is over and these are all reruns.  Still worth watching though.

North Woods Law is a good show.  I have been watching it for a couple of years.

Warden's on the Outdoor Channel is also a good show.  It is about the game wardens in Montana.  I think that series is over and these are all reruns.  Still worth watching though.

I figured as much with it running in the morning. Montana is my retirement state so I love watching anything Montana.

In general, wildlife officers in most states have as much or even more authority that even the State Police.  I am not sure about TN, but in IL, a Game Warden could basically do anything they wanted.  I think in most cases, they don't go out of their way to do things like traffic stops, etc, but most are certainly authorized by law to.

I figured as much with it running in the morning. Montana is my retirement state so I love watching anything Montana.

Did you see the episode about opening day of shed hunting season.  There were bigger crowds than we have for opening of deer season.

I used to drink coffee about once a week with a GW, great guy, was very helpful with where, when, and what was out moving around.

However he did take his job very serious, cross him hunting or fishing and you were going down.

Dove hunting one year he came right at me in a field with 10 other hunters, asked for a shell, put the magnet to it and it passed.

Turned a left the field with out checking anyone else, should have seen the hunters leave after that.

Dove shooting on the wetlands on the Cumberland river is steel only.

This was here in TN, 35 years ago, lost touch with him.

I have a close friend on TWRA and there were times I would see things going on while I would be fishing Old Hickory Lake and I had his cell phone number. When I called he never failed to show up and in most cases made an arrest of the bad guys. Drunk boating, reckless and dangerous boating, Duck hunting  from a moving boat and other such things. He got promoted and just rides around now in his truck or rides a desk so we still talk , just not as often............. :up:

I was raised in Maine. They have more power than any LEO out there.

They can come into your house without a warrant and search your freezer.

This is where it gets interesting, if they see something else, it now becomes probable cause for a warrant.

Most of them are very professional and very serious about their work.

My mom never forgave them giving her a littering ticket when she peed in the woods behind a tree.
Mention the story and get ready to have your ears blistered with an epic rant ... fifty years later! Edited by Currently
  • Like 2

I used to drink coffee about once a week with a GW, great guy, was very helpful with where, when, and what was out moving around.

However he did take his job very serious, cross him hunting or fishing and you were going down.

Dove hunting one year he came right at me in a field with 10 other hunters, asked for a shell, put the magnet to it and it passed.

Turned a left the field with out checking anyone else, should have seen the hunters leave after that.

Dove shooting on the wetlands on the Cumberland river is steel only.

This was here in TN, 35 years ago, lost touch with him.

I was not aware of the steel shot requirement for dove hunting wetlands on the Cumberland river.

What is considered Cumberland river wetlands ?

I was raised in Maine. They have more power than any LEO out there.

They can come into your house without a warrant and search your freezer.

This is where it gets interesting, if they see something else, it now becomes probable cause for a warrant.

Most of them are very professional and very serious about their work.

My mom never forgave them giving her a littering ticket when she peed in the woods behind a tree.
Mention the story and get ready to have your ears blistered with an epic rant ... fifty years later!

Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.

Not going to argue with you ... I personally know several people that got busted with moose and deer meat, salmon and smelt in their freezer. I also know one individual that is still doing hard time for having a growing operation that was a bit bigger than the law allowed ... within a thousand feet of school property.

I may be wrong where they did enter the house with consent, I do know that they did use DNA evidence to prove the meat came from different animals.

I'm still trying to find the statute and not having much success. Edited by Currently

Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.

There are plenty of court rulings on it; even SCOTUS. Do a search on "game wardens search without a warrant".

If it is in plain view; they don't need to get a warrant.

If the TWRA was even 1/2 as active in doing their jobs as these men and women in Maine are they might deserve a raise.

In many states a cop is a cop 24/7 anywhere within the boundaries out the state; Tennessee is not one of them. However, TWRA Officers have not only state LEO authority they also have authority to enforce Federal law.

Drug and traffic enforcement is the job of local law enforcement agencies. I wouldn’t know if they (TWRA Officers) are doing their job or not; do you think they aren’t doing the job they were hired to do?

There are plenty of court rulings on it; even SCOTUS. Do a search on "game wardens search without a warrant". If it is in plain view; they don't need to get a warrant.

The context of his post is absent a qualifying statement such as probable cause: therefore implying that a GW has the authority to randomly search a house. BS!
  • 1 month later...

I watch North Woods Law quite often good show. Also, there is Wild Justice about the wardens in Cal. TWRA authority is quite extensive.

They can go anywhere in the state to enforce whatever comes. I've even had 'em show up when we had a problem at the jail.

If they have probable cause, they can search your property w/o a warrant. If you're hunting/fishing, etc., they can search your vehicle.

Goes beyond the usual LEO boundaries.

tenn. law says no freezer or house search without a warrant. but if open chase into  house that is probable cause. vehicle is different ball game.  look it up i have won bets on the wording

What law would we be looking for that specifically addresses what a Game Warden or Police Officer can and can’t search with/without a warrant?