TICS denial

Has anyone had trouble with being denied? I have purchased guns my whole adult life and have never once been denied (there's no cause for it) I'm a sworn reserve police officer, 03 FFL holder, HCP holder, and work for a local government so I have had several background checks, some in depth with local to federal agencies. I am very perplexed with it all. My thoughts are all over the place, "stolen identity", wrong key stroke, etc. This was for an attempted purchase of a handgun yesterday after buying a shotgun two months ago with no problem being approved. Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen. 

Edited by Andyshowfan

Has anyone had trouble with being denied? I have purchased guns my whole adult life and have never once been denied (there's no cause for it) I'm a sworn reserve police officer, 03 FFL holder, HCP holder, and work for a local government so I have had several background checks, some in depth with local to federal agencies. I am very perplexed with it all. My thoughts are all over the place, "stolen identity", wrong key stroke, etc. This was for an attempted purchase of a handgun yesterday after buying a shotgun two months ago with no problem being approved. Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen. 

State employee that ate lead paint chips off the wall when they were a child? :)

• Like 6
I had a friend who was retired LEO and approved numerous times, then one day a few months later he was inexplicably denied. He called and questioned, wondered and worried, but didn't get any answers until he filed the appeal form. He was subsequently told by the TBI that they "made a mistake" and were sorry, and he was instantly approved. Never told him what their mistake was, but at least they owned up to it.
  • Like 2

TICS has a false positive rate twice that of the national background check system...  It's nothing but a make work project...  oh yeah and is unconstitutional under the TN Constitution.

File the appeal form, roll your eyes and then turn around and call your local legislators and demand they get rid of it.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 1

I filed the appeal right then and there and they faxed it in for me. A little back story as to why it bugs me more that it should, Our dept. went to 9mm and I have the opportunity to buy my duty weapon from the vendor that the 9mm's were purchased from. $299 for a nearly new Glock 23 Gen 3 w/night sites and 3 mags but we only have till next Wed to get them before they hit the floor. Arrrrggggghhhhhhhh the wonders of governments. :)

• Like 1

This crap happens all too often. I think the TICS system is severely flawed and everyone needs to find a way to file some sort of complaint so they will improve these false denials.

Just another example of "doing badly what need not be done at all."  And besides that, it's an non-enacted de facto tax.

- OS

• Like 2

Don't need to fix it, it completely violates the TN state constitution, just need to get rid of it completely.

This crap happens all too often. I think the TICS system is severely flawed and everyone needs to find a way to file some sort of complaint so they will improve these false denials.

• Like 2

I seem to get denied about 1 out of 2 times.  Every time it is overturned on appeal.  It has pretty much soured me on buying from a FFL ever again.

More than likely a SUPER common name OR someone with your name has done something and that's all they see. The appeal allows them time to dig a little further and usually figure out what is going on. You would think that this system of approval/denial could be applied to the NFA side of things but that's neither here nor there I suppose...

I seem to get denied about 1 out of 2 times.  Every time it is overturned on appeal.  It has pretty much soured me on buying from a FFL ever again.

Yeah, that would really piss me off! 

I think it is time for folks to start complaining to the TBI. 

Edited by JohnC

Yeah, that would really piss me off! 

I think it is time for folks to start complaining to the TBI.

I’ve done that; it doesn’t do any good. They were clueless in the conversations I had with them. It was the BATF that told me why I was being denied and how to fix it.
  • Like 1

I’ve done that; it doesn’t do any good. They were clueless in the conversations I had with them. It was the BATF that told me why I was being denied and how to fix it.

OK, so how do these people find out "why" they got denied from an agency that doesn't want to tell them anything and how do they get them to tell them how to "fix" whatever is causing the false denials (identity mix up, records screw up)?

Anyone that's getting denied actually get the above answered and fixed permanently? 

OK, so how do these people find out "why" they got denied from an agency that doesn't want to tell them anything and how do they get them to tell them how to "fix" whatever is causing the false denials (identity mix up, records screw up)?

Anyone that's getting denied actually get the above answered and fixed permanently?

The common cause seems to be an arrest that doesn’t show a disposition somewhere. I was arrested for having a gun in my car in Illinois many years ago. The charges were dismissed. I purchased guns in several states over many years before making purchases in Tennessee. Of my first several purchases here I was refused twice. Both were appealed and went through in two days. The first time I thought it was just a mistake; because it was approved so quickly. I called the TBI and the woman told me she couldn’t tell me why I was refused.

The second time it happened (not the next purchase) I called the TBI again. The woman told me it was because something Illinois was reporting, but she wasn’t allowed to say what it was on the phone. I told her of the arrest, that it was dismissed, and even if it wasn’t it was a non-disqualifying misdemeanor. She replied with “We don’t know that.” I said, “You don’t know it’s a misdemeanor?” she said “No, we know it’s a misdemeanor, but it could be a felony in Tennessee”. She said that when checking on the appeal they found I was okay. She couldn’t tell me why it went through okay on other purchases.

My daughter is a Probation Officer in Illinois and her boyfriend was an Illinois State Trooper. He checked and said Illinois didn’t report anything to them other than a speeding ticket.

That led to think it was the FBI database. They wanted $25 for a background check. It was $30 for a C&R license and I knew it would show up there if there was a problem. It did. The BATF sent me a letter I needed documentation on the disposition of the charge before they could proceed. I talked to the person handling it and he said the gun charge was not reported by Illinois, but was showing up in the FBI check with no disposition.

My daughter went to the Circuit Clerks office to get the documentation. The woman gave it to her and gave her a second copy; she said it has happened to her husband a couple of time and might happen again. She said she would resubmit the disposition to the Feds and that may fix the problem. It seems to have fixed the problem. She did that, and I submitted it to the Feds and got my C&R; no problems since.
  • Like 2

Interesting.... So it was a records screw-up between the Illinois and the FBI. 

I guess those being denied need to get the TBI to tell them exactly what's wrong so they can resolve the issue to prevent future false denials that get overturned on appeals. 

Interesting.... So it was a records screw-up between the Illinois and the FBI. 

I guess those being denied need to get the TBI to tell them exactly what's wrong so they can resolve the issue to prevent future false denials that get overturned on appeals. 

but if they fix the records, those make work jobs might be in jeopardy .