Moving to TN, any suggestions....

Guest ChristianPatriotWarrior

Guest ChristianPatriotWarrior

...on where are the best schools for a kindergarten age kid to go to?

...looking for a nice community to move into with low crime, contemporary Christian church(s) and some good shopping, dining and entertainment options.

We are moving from Chicago for "obvious" reasons. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Bring plenty of bug spray and learn to love humidity. Welcome!

On my chunk of Norris Lake humidity yes but bug spray no... I have to say that the skeeters were worse in the south west corner of MI which is less than 2 hours away from Chicago....

Given chance to do a do over I'd look lake wise nearer to Nashville as while being only an hour from Knoxville is nice it also hangs heavy that everything is an hour away...

We just moved to Jonesborough and love it here. So far the heat and humidity has not been bad, the  locals say the mountains moderate both. Not many mosquitoes either but that apparently varies with time of year and location.

You have joined a great group here.

Welcome

Are you moving for a job? What sort of work do you do?

It takes about 8 hours to drive from one end of the state to the other, and it represents a pretty broad swath of people, cities and communities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

...looking for a nice community to move into with low crime, contemporary Christian church(s) and some good shopping, dining and entertainment options.

Phil

need more input.

what sort of job you want.  What sort of commute.  looking for land with a shooting range, youll have to get away from the cities and that makes the job harder and commutes longer.   Wanting to be in the city or near it, can't shoot. 

Churches are everywhere.

decent low crime areas are everywhere --- you really have to work at it to find a high crime place, takes moving deep into a major city for the most part (there are a few "deliverance" type areas in the sticks too, though... mostly making meth these days, a few pot fields... )  but all in all its not a high crime state. 

schools mirror the community.  If you go to a church centric low crime area, the nearby schools should be reasonably good.  Here again, if you work hard to move into a ghetto, you can find a bad school,  but its not easy to do.

Shopping, dining, and entertainment ... that means a decent sized city.

Ill throw you an option ...

Maybe: Georgia.   If you move down here to Chattanooga, you would sit on the boarder of ga and TN.  A *lot* of people claim the GA schools are better (I have no kids and couldn't say) but you would have to pay their wretched state income tax if you lived there (required to go to their schools, I think). You could always move later once the kids get out...  Chattanooga has shopping, food, and entertainment in good amounts.  It has churches.  It has low crime areas, and it has its ghetto as well, just learn what areas to avoid and get out in the suburbs and its a very nice area.   Historic city too, if you are into that.   Fair number of solid jobs -- VW, TVA, big insurance, tons of stuff for a variety of careers.   Ga has lower sales tax so living in chatt, I can buy across the line and still pay no income tax :)   It is also home to at least 4 quality private schools (6th grade up) and a few good ones for younger as well (not sure how many there, but at least 2).   The high school I went to had boarding students and one classmate of mine graduated highschool with credits enough to be a sophomore 2nd semester on his first day of college, many many others knocked out 1/2 their freshman year that way (AP credits).   Whether you live in GA or TN,  its a very nice area in general.   If you are not interested in the GA stuff or the private schools, its no better or worse than most of the TN cities.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Advice?

Stay away from metro public schools. If you can afford it go Private or stay in surrounding counties outside of Davidson.

One thing about TN weather, hang around long enough and it will change. As far as the humidity, spend summers in south Alabama and TN will feel great.  :-\ 

Edited by kieefer
  • Like 2

I live in south Rutherford County. I always liked Murfreesboro but traffic is terrible. The city waited too long to try and work on the infrastructure and now it's a big Cluster F! Crime seems to be fine, I live in the county in a nice older neighborhood, 90's era. I know we have some spots in the city that have always been crime areas but I just stay away from them. I fish and living here puts me 30 minutes to Priest and within 45 to Tims Ford, Normandy and Woods. 

• 4 weeks later...

Phil

Have you figured out what part of the state you are looking to move to?  That can really help narrow down the answer.

Thanks

Robert