Virginia to end reciprocity with 25 states

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=12

Posted 12/22/15

WASHINGTON — Virginia will no longer recognize concealed handgun permits issued by 25 other states, its attorney general announced Tuesday, a stark change in policy for a state known for its expansive gun rights.

The announcement by Attorney General Mark R. Herring, a Democrat, means that permit-holding residents of the 25 states, which span the country from Alaska to Florida, will no longer be able to carry concealed weapons in Virginia, beginning Feb. 1. Virginia is revoking its so-called reciprocity agreements with those states.

Mr. Herring made the decision, his office said in a statement, after “months of research and evaluation,” including an audit of 30 states whose concealed handgun permits have been considered valid in Virginia. All but five of those states, he said, grant permits to people who would be barred from carrying concealed weapons in Virginia.

“To me, this is a common-sense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that our concealed carry laws and safety standards apply to everyone in Virginia,” Mr. Herring said, “whether they are a resident or a visitor.”

Under Virginia law, the state police can recognize permits from another state if that state’s laws are “adequate to prevent possession of a permit” by people who would be denied one in Virginia. Mr. Herring said he had spent much of the last year working with the state police in what he called a “deliberate, thorough, professional review of the states which supposedly meet or exceed Virginia’s standards.”

He said the state police had accepted his recommendation and were beginning to notify the 25 states whose agreements are being revoked. Virginia will continue to recognize concealed handgun permits from Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and West Virginia.

I look forward to more states doing this, Qbama wants to stir as much sh*t as he can in the next few months

Edited by Ron_TN

How is OC'ing during a trip to VA fixing that for us in TN? Wouldn't be that difficult for a LEO to notice you at some point during any day entering a TN licensed vehicle and come talk to you. What am I missing? 

Perhaps the fact you can keep a loaded handgun in private vehicle without a permit in VA.

It does have to be in a "container" or "compartment", but it doesn't have to be locked.

- OS

Perhaps the fact you can keep a loaded handgun in private vehicle without a permit in VA.

It does have to be in a "container" or "compartment", but it doesn't have to be locked.

- OS

Thanks OS. Hoping you would answer this. :up:

Boycott Virginia is all I can say, of course I had no plans there anyway. Feel sorry for the people who didn't vote for the idiots but the rest get what they ask for, they voted the idiots in. Just a few populated counties near DC is the reason Virginia is a blue state, sad to see that.

• Like 1

Simple solution is for the VA legislature to change the law, to allow all permits to be considered valid like we did here in TN...  Just one small problem, the Governor is a democrat who is in office until 2018...  and unlike TN where a simple majority can override the veto of the Governor, you need a 2/3rds majority to override the veto (or line item veto) in VA.

Just so happens the VA House they have exactly 67% of the vote, so they can override a veto...  but they only hold 21 out of 40 seats in the VA Senate, they'd need 6 Democrats override the Governors expected veto, it would be a hard bill to get passed.

Looks like we're stuck open carrying or getting an out of state permit in VA for a little over 2 years at the earliest.  Unless the Republicans in the VA senate pick up 6 seats in Nov of 2016.

Ridiculous - to get a VA nonresident all you have to do is mail in an application and a copy of DD-214 or proof of attending NRA basic firearm training. Pure politics. Recommend everyone write their reps and demand VA permits not accepted in TN. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree on other matters but this one will only punish law abiding gun owners from Virginia. The people that made the changes are good with depriving their citizens when they travel out of their own state. In fact, it's probably preferable to them.

• Like 2

I would agree on other matters but this one will only punish law abiding gun owners from Virginia. The people that made the changes are good with depriving their citizens when they travel out of their own state. In fact, it's probably preferable to them.

Most people with permits in Virginia probably didn't vote for McGuffie, I actually welcome those permit holders to carry in Tennessee. Also, if Tennessee and other states refused to honor Virginia permits McGuffie would like that, that would be another victory for him. The best way to say screw you McGuffie is to honor Virginia permits. If McGuffie could get away with it, he would void all permits in Virginia.

• Like 1

....Also, if Tennessee and other states refused to honor Virginia permits McGuffie would like that, that would be another victory for him. ...

Again, TN law would have to be amended to do that, which is highly unlikely as we honor about 12 states' permits that don't honor ours already.

- OS

Again, TN law would have to be amended to do that, which is highly unlikely as we honor about 12 states' permits that don't honor ours already.

- OS

I remember when Tennessee honored permits for all 50 states. I know they would have to change the law, I was saying it would be wrong to do so.

I remember when Tennessee honored permits for all 50 states. I know they would have to change the law, I was saying it would be wrong to do so.

Still does, that part of HCP statute has never changed. There are only about 12 states that don't honor our permit in total is what I meant. And now maybe one more assuming VA does indeed go through with this.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I was just saying that the pols in VA don't give a hoot about TN so their folks need to put on the pressure to get this changed. If nothing affects them, why would they care about us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a lot of gunnies and permit holders in Virginia do care, we just don't know that. I would be mad if Tennessee changed it's law and refused to honor other states, and protest to the legislature. Like I said if it were not for a few counties near DC Virginia would be a red state and maybe McGuffie wouldn't be Gov.

• Like 1