Glock 26 vs M&P Shield 9mm

shotgunshooter

Disclaimer: I am a Glock fanboy but the Shield is one of the few S&W products I actually like.
This gun would be a BUG to a Glock 19 and would be carried appendix. I have shot both and I feel like the 26 has less recoil but the Shield feels better in my hand. Who has had both and has an opinion on them after carrying each one.
If you are in Middle/West TN and would happen to want let me fondle your 26 that would be great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have owned both and that is a tough decision. I actually felt as if the Shield actually handled better, but that may be my imagination. The double stack magazine capability and the easiness to full disassemble are about the only two things the 26 offers over the Shield. If I could get a Shield under $369 I would buy it, but if I could get a 26 for less than $100 more I would probably choose it. Basically whichever one you find the best deal on.
  • Like 2

I have both and carry the shield appendix.  It's just so much more slim and lightweight when you actually carry it that it was an easy choice for me. 

My G26 rides in the car. 

Both have been flawless and I shoot both equally as well.  It took 100rds or so for me to dial in the shield simply because it is such a slim gun.  I was so accustomed to double stack guns, it took me a little time at the range to get comfortable with it. 

I'm a huge Shield fan, and not a Glock fanboy. However, I don't think they are bad guns either. I just prefer the Smith brand.

Removing brand preference aside, to me it would simply boil down to width of the gun and capacity. I generally carry as much gun as I can comfortably conceal. Sometimes that's an M&P compact (sometimes even with a fullsize mag and grip adapter) but most often the Shield.

Quick question... if we're talking about the Shield, why aren't we also talking about a G43? If you're a Glock fanboy interested in a Shield, doesn't the 43 just make sense?

I have also shot the 43 and am impressed with it. Great shooting little piece, but the grip is almost too small (not width or length, but depth forward to back) in that it feels like a little 380 to me, and I hate pretty much all of them, from the LCP to 42 and all others. The Shield's grip is about as small as I can go without feeling like the gun is swimming in my fat burger grabbers. Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

I'm a huge Shield fan, and not a Glock fanboy. However, I don't think they are bad guns either. I just prefer the Smith brand.

Removing brand preference aside, to me it would simply boil down to width of the gun and capacity. I generally carry as much gun as I can comfortably conceal. Sometimes that's an M&P compact (sometimes even with a fullsize mag and grip adapter) but most often the Shield.

Quick question... if we're talking about the Shield, why aren't we also talking about a G43? If you're a Glock fanboy interested in a Shield, doesn't the 43 just make sense?

I have also shot the 43 and am impressed with it. Great shooting little piece, but the grip is almost too small (not width or length, but depth forward to back) in that it feels like a little 380 to me, and I hate pretty much all of them, from the LCP to 42 and all others. The Shield's grip is about as small as I can go without feeling like the gun is swimming in my fat burger grabbers.

I do not like the 43. After fondling one and shooting two I was not impressed. Too small and I thought there was too much recoil for the gun. I feel like Glock dropped the ball and their attempt doesn't match up with the Shield. I don't consider the 43 as a viable option for me which is 110% my opinion. The Shield is a much better choice when compared to the 43 again IMHO.

My main carry gun is a Glock 26, but I'm looking at getting a 43 for when the summer gets here so I can carry it easier in shorts.   Since you already have a 19, the 26 would make more sense as a BUG in my opinion, seeing that you could carry an extra 19 mag that could be used in either gun.   Also you'd already be familiar with the functionality and trigger of the 26.   I also have a 19, but I feel the 26 is enough for me in most situations.  It's 10 rounds in the smallest package that I can shoot accurately.  I've only held the Shields and dry fired a few times, but I just couldn't get a solid enough grip on it for my liking.  Which is why I haven't already bought the 43, because I prefer the thicker grip.... 

My big thing with getting a Shield is it hides and doesn't print when carried AIWB. If I get a chance to handle and shoot a 26 for a day I may go with it. Just not gonna make any decision until I get in some time drawing and shooting the guns. If anyone around the Clarksville/Dickson area has a 26 and would be interested in going shooting send me a PM.

I carried a G-27 as an OD/BUG from the first release of the pistol and owned a G-26 for years. Overall I liked the G26 better as it was easier to shoot with speed and accuracy. Insofar as concealibility and carry comfort the only edge the 26/27 had over the 19/23 was ankle holster carry.

I've handled and shot Shields and own an SA XDs9 3.3, either of these are thinner then the G-26 and have less bulk when holstered either IWB/OWB. I've looked at enough G-43's to like them as well. If I had to decide between the G-26 and a Shield I'd choose the Shield.

• Like 1

One advantage the G26 has over the Shield is that it can take your G19 magazines, if that matters to you. But since you plan to IWB I say go for the slimmer Shield. I IWB a Kahr PM9 and a G43 which are closer to the Shield in thickness than the G26. I can IWB my G26 but it's much more noticeable to me that it's there than the other two.

Edited by monkeylizard

I own a 26 and a 9mm Shield.

TNWNGR and monkeylizard pretty much summed up my thoughts on this.

I carry AIWB and I'm wearing my Shield as I type this.

I also carry my G19 AIWB, most of the time actually, and find that the longer barrel length of the 19 vs the 26 allows a more secure and stable carry in my chosen method. As I'm sure most of you know, the length of the barrel isn't difficult to conceal and with IWB carry the longer barrel will actually help stabilize the carry through better leverage at it's pivot point, the belt/holster.

I find the 26 easier to control in rapid fire than the shield...but that's kind of subjective as I have thousands of more rounds down the 26 than I do the Shield, as this point.

Being able to use my spare G 17 mags is also a big plus for the 26. I did carry the 26 as a backup, off side OWB holster, for several years and it served that role well. In my current environment and life I don't find the need as great and utilize other options.

:2cents:

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going w/ an M&P compact over the variety of glocks.... It simply shot best for me.

I'm a big fan of German/Austrian engineering, and the reputation for Glocks simply can't be beat... but I went to the LGS and shot everything in their rental case. After months and a couple hundred bucks in rental/range fee's, I bought the Smith & Wesson, and couldn't be happier with it. Find a shop or friend or two here at TGO and put a box of ammo through each, side-by-side. One _should_ stand out to you in a head to head, and that should be the one you go with. A lot of the other-things that come up in 'which gun' discussion becomes secondary to which one feels most comfortable to you. It should feel  like an extension of your person, completely natural, and if it doesn't, you should keep shopping.

Just my 2-cents.

- K

• Like 3

Keep us posted on your thoughts and impression of the Shield shotgunshooter.

What carry gear did you choose of it?

More kydex from NSR Tactical. A LLC-4 and an EDC mag pouch. It is nice not having to buy a belt this time because I picked up an Ares Gear Ranger Belt.

• Like 1

I own both. I prefer the Shield. 

Glock 26:

• It's too thick to wear IWB for me. 
  • The grip feels awful to me. It's too wide and too short at the same time. The ridges are in the wrong place. 
  • The angle of the grip is wrong for me. 
  • The fatness of the grip combined with the angle of the grip puts my index finger on the trigger guard instead of the frame when I draw it. This, combined with sympathetic reflex can cause the index finger to bend when the other fingers bend, sometimes causing it to slip inside the trigger guard. 
  • As a result, all Glocks are an AD waiting to happen for me. 

Note the "for me" added after all these comments. YMMV

More kydex from NSR Tactical. A LLC-4 and an EDC mag pouch. It is nice not having to buy a belt this time because I picked up an Ares Gear Ranger Belt.

Excellent choices Sir.

Dave at NSR is good people and builds quality gear.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad Monkeylizard mentioned the Kahr PM9 (or CW9 for less $'s).  I have owned and sold the P380 (too small for my hands) and I have shot the PM9.  It's lighter and thinner than most 9's, including the Shield and 43.  A little stiff in the slide (designed that way)  But for my medium-sized hands, it felt great, so I am considering a purchase.  This conceals better than the Shield and 43 IMHO.  That said, I typically Pocket carry or IWB a S&W 642. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, usuviri said:

I'm glad Monkeylizard mentioned the Kahr PM9 (or CW9 for less $'s).  I have owned and sold the P380 (too small for my hands) and I have shot the PM9.  It's lighter and thinner than most 9's, including the Shield and 43.  A little stiff in the slide (designed that way)  But for my medium-sized hands, it felt great, so I am considering a purchase.  This conceals better than the Shield and 43 IMHO.  That said, I typically Pocket carry or IWB a S&W 642. 

Can't go wrong with a PM9.  It is a great firearm.  CW9 is less money but there have been some quality issues with the CW series guns I have shot.  Maybe I just got bad ones, not sure.  I have had great luck with the P or PM series guns I have owned and I have owned a lot of them.  My .02 FWIW

Glock 26 all the way . The 26 is fat and thick but it will shoot forever with hardly any replacement parts. It will accept the 19 , 17 , 34 , and other high capacity mags in 9mm.  Bottom line is the 26 is tried and true and has an awesome track record .  I had a Shield in 9mm. It was great. No problems. I only sold it to get the Glock 43 . The Shield is great like I said but to detail strip it you have to remove the rear sight which holds the firing pin safety. I have a "qwerk" to where I want a very simple gun to where I can detail strip it with simple things. I can detail strip my Glock in an emergency with just a nail or a stick . The Sheild requires a roll pin punch and an allen wrench.

Just letting you know my experiences .