The most you would spend on any gun?

FortKnox

Probably about $2500 or until we settle into our careers more and buy a house. That's our next big purchase. Trying to be good but it ain't easy. Most I've spent thus far was on my first bullpup: an MSAR STG-556 with a Leupold Mark AR 1-4, sling, flashlight and 18 mags varying from 10rds-42rds. It started me on my bullpup collection with no end in sight. Paid $2100 cash about 6 years ago.

$1k is the absolute most I'd ever drop as a lump sum on a bare rifle & it would have to be something very special for that to happen. Luckily 99% of my needs are to be found in the sub-$800 bracket.

My long range target rig probably has more invested in it than any other gun I own, but that was spent a bit at a time over several months. It's probably still not over $800 for the bare gun though. Mind you, I've got more than that in the scope, so probably around $1800 overall.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd say the AVERAGE value of the guns I currently own is about $500. Some over, some under.

• Like 1

Unless I win the lottery and, even after helping friends and family, have more money than I could ever spend in one life time (I am divorced with no kids so I'm not so worried about leaving a bundle to anyone) then $500 is probably my limit.  That is the most I have ever given in cash and trade in value for a firearm and that was exactly once - my stainless GP100 (bought used but looked brand new in the factory plastic box/case with papers) and that was only because the GP100 was/is one of my "must have" guns.  The most I have paid for a gun in cash was just a little over $400 for my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum  (again, used but looked brand new in the factory plastic box/case with papers) which was another "must have/really want" gun for me.

I am with guns like I am with knives - I can appreciate the beauty of really nice ones and am not a person who says, "Why would anyone ever spend that much on a gun (or knife)?"  That said, when it comes to buying firearms (and knives - $100 is about my limit for a knife and that would be a very rare occasion) for myself I am usually more about utility, cost (I don't say 'value' because an expensive gun or knife can be a 'value' if it is worth the price) and variety than anything else so I might say that I would, personally, not ever spend 'that much' on a single firearm (or knife).  As far as utility, to be perfectly honest I have probably gotten more 'practical' use out of my cheapo Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/.22WMR combo revolver (bought it years ago and paid just under $200 for the combo brand new), the Stevens 94C single shot 20 gauge (old enough it has no serial number - paid $79 for it at a gun show) and the Sears bolt-action 20 gauge (paid $79 for it from the same dealer at the same gun show) which have all been used to dispatch pest possums, raccoons, etc. that were after my chickens or destroying stuff on my front porch than any of the other guns I own.  Neither of those give me the same feeling when shooting them as the GP100 or SBH do, though (and I realize that to a lot of folks even those are pretty common, nothing special guns.)

I guess I have the same view of guns, knives, etc. as I do with cars.  I've often said that if I won a new Ferrari I would have to drive it once just for the experience but the drive would end at a dealership where I would sell it and buy a new 4WD pickup truck, a new Dodge Challenger and some kind of mid-sized hatchback that would get good mileage.  Any money left over would probably have to go to pay the taxes involved.

Edited by JAB

I have invested $400.00 once on a handgun and $650.00 on a long gun which I still have both. Any of my others I have were worth more than I gave for them either by getting a good deal or trading around.  My income limits my purchases so have not bought anything in quite a while but I have all I think I need to protect my self and my castle............JMHO

• Like 3

When I was working, I spent about 1300 at 3 different times. Seemed that it worried me so much that I sold all of them pretty quickly. I managed to get exactly what I paid on 2 of them, and darn close on the third.

These days, if and when I buy, I would have to say 600 is my limit.

I use to shoot sporting clays a lot, and decided I needed a really good over and under.  I bought a Browning Citori 525 at BassPro.  Used a coupon, opened a Basspro CC with 6 mos no interest.  It was well north of $2400 before tax (maybe like $2700 or something).   I had buyers remorse almost immediately, and for many weeks thereafter.  That was over 10+ years ago.  Looking back, a great decision on my behalf.  That gun has over 10K rounds through it now, its as tight today as then.  It really is a great and beautiful gun. 

In the sporting clay world, many many people shoot expensive guns.  $2000 guns are on the low to low medium end.  Many $5000 guns out there.

Edited by runco
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, runco said:

I use to shoot sporting clays a lot, and decided I needed a really good over and under.  I bought a Browning Citori 525 at BassPro.  Used a coupon, opened a Basspro CC with 6 mos no interest.  It was well north of $2400 before tax (maybe like $2700 or something).   I had buyers remorse almost immediately, and for many weeks thereafter.  That was over 10+ years ago.  Looking back, a great decision on my behalf.  That gun has over 10K rounds through it now, its as tight today as then.  I really is a great and beautiful gun. 

In the sporting clay world, many many people shoot expensive guns.  $2000 guns are on the low to low medium end.  Many $5000 guns out there.

If I spent that on a gun...my wife would use it to kill me.... I sleep too deep to chance pissing the lady of the house off. lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

If I spent that on a gun...my wife would use it to kill me.... I sleep too deep to chance pissing the lady of the house off. lol

Tell her like it is.  Man up, sometimes the dog wags the tail, not the tail that wags the dog. 

LOL, yeah she works with chemicals every day that can level a 4 story building and has a temper that makes me think she has to have some Spanish blood in her. Early on in our marriage I had more things thrown at my head that I can recount. Reason and discussion goes out the window when that point comes and I like all my parts attached. So sometimes it is easier to just be the wagged one and go on. She puts up with me and I put up with her. Only one besides my Mom that could ever put up with me.

Any man that says that he never cringes when his wife turns on that "you done it now" voice is a d@mn liar or about to be divorced. lol

• Like 1

Some day, right after I win the lottery, I'll spend the $8500 it takes to buy a Barret 50 BMG rifle. I really don't enjoy pain but I'd like to have something that takes a full minute to put the cartridge in the chamber.

9 hours ago, Ray Z said:

Some day, right after I win the lottery, I'll spend the $8500 it takes to buy a Barret 50 BMG rifle. I really don't enjoy pain but I'd like to have something that takes a full minute to put the cartridge in the chamber.

$8500 will get you a 82a1 nowadays, it takes seconds to load and unload...

11 hours ago, Ray Z said:

That would be fun but I'm kinda weird.  As far as firearms purchases go, in a post I-won-the-lottery-and-have-more-money-than-I-could-possibly-spend world I'd probably be looking more toward owning things like a working Gatling gun, an authentic, original Colt Peacemaker in working order (which I would absolutely shoot), a Borchardt C93 and other, such rare and/or historic firearms and acquiring ammo or, if necessary, having ammo made so I could shoot all of them than more modern stuff.  Not that I wouldn't acquire some cool, high end modern stuff, too but I'd go after the 'anachronysms' first.

Of course being that I really don't even play the lottery I guess I'll have to stick with the 'less than $400 or maybe $500 for a 'Grail gun' I mentioned earlier.

Edited by JAB

I purchased my first firearm in 2012.  I paid $2.3K out the door for a Knight's Armament (KAC) SR-15 Legacy rifle from the Outpost Armory. To this day, it is the most expensive firearm that I have ever purchased. That will change next month when I pull my dream rifle out of layaway. Which is a Knight's Armament (KAC) SR-25 EMC for nearly $5K out the door. I will be well in for over $8k by the time I purchase glass (Leupold MK 8 CQBSS), Knight's Armament 7.62 QDC suppressor, + several other attachments. I have lusted after this rifle for many years and I have let a few opportunities to pass me by. When I came across this rifle late last year, I told myself that I could not let this opportunity pass me by again. The rest as they say is history, my friends.

BF9AD4BE-41B2-4609-809D-589147805572_zps

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cartel said:

I purchased my first firearm in 2012.  I paid $2.3K out the door for a Knight's Armament (KAC) SR-15 Legacy rifle from the Outpost Armory. To this day, it is the most expensive firearm that I have ever purchased. That will change next month when I pull my dream rifle out of layaway. Which is a Knight's Armament (KAC) SR-25 EMC for nearly $5K out the door. I will be well in for over $8k by the time I purchase glass (Leupold MK 8 CQBSS), Knight's Armament 7.62 QDC suppressor, + several other attachments. I have lusted after this rifle for many years and I have let a few opportunities to pass me by. When I came across this rifle late last year, I told myself that I could not let this opportunity pass me by again. The rest as they say is history, my friends.

BF9AD4BE-41B2-4609-809D-589147805572_zps

All I can say is....:drool:!