GO PREDS!

• Moderators

I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Preds pull this out.  There are two reasons why. One, because I have Canadian friends and what in the hell is wrong with them that they let a team from Tennessee win? Hockey is like their national sport. Too, I will laugh because a hockey team brought a championship home to Tennessee with their weird foreign stores before either our football team or our basketball game were able to accomplish that.  Two, I will laugh because a hockey team brought a championship home to Tennessee with their weird foreign sport before either our football team or our basketball game were able to accomplish that. 

22 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Preds pull this out.  There are two reasons why. One, because I have Canadian friends and what in the hell is wrong with them that they let a team from Tennessee win? Hockey is like their national sport. Too, I will laugh because a hockey team brought a championship home to Tennessee with their weird foreign stores before either our football team or our basketball game were able to accomplish that.  Two, I will laugh because a hockey team brought a championship home to Tennessee with their weird foreign sport before either our football team or our basketball game were able to accomplish that. 

You got so worked up you went from one then "too" then "two" .

I'm usually the guy that has to correct multiple spelling errors. I will not allow you to remove me from that thrown...err I mean throne :D

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yes, that would be ironic to see National Championship for a cold weather sport won by a team from a very warm weather area. And at a considerable less cost than the Titans have spent to get only one half the way to a Super Bowl.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

TN suddenly has an influx of first time hockey fans.. :D

True, but THIS Predators fan has supported the team since the beginning, participated in the "name the team" vote in 1998, attended their first open house event at Bridgestone in the summer of 1998 (then simply the Nashville Arena), and still sports a first generation jersey. I can't believe we FINALLY get to see a banner hanging over our home ice. "Stanley Cup Champions" will look better than "Western Conference Champions", of course, but after almost 19 years since the first puck dropped, I'll take what I can get.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, hipower said:

Rename them...the Catfish Predators!

Ugh....we could have been the "Ice Tigers" . . .  who thought that was a good idea? The final names were Ice Tigers, Fury, and Attack. Craig Leipold had the good sense to think "wow...those names suck" and added Predators to the list. Surprise, surprise! The owner's idea won. I don't care if it was an honest vote, or if Craig named himself a "super-delegate" at the last minute. Predators was a great choice.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

True, but THIS Predators fan has supported the team since the beginning, participated in the "name the team" vote in 1998, attended their first open house event at Bridgestone in the summer of 1998 (then simply the Nashville Arena), and still sports a first generation jersey. I can't believe we FINALLY get to see a banner hanging over our home ice. "Stanley Cup Champions" will look better than "Western Conference Champions", of course, but after almost 19 years since the first puck dropped, I'll take what I can get.

If you are that much of a die hard hockey fan then I bet there is a good chance we may have sat in the Municipal Auditorium at the same time at a Nashville South Stars game before there was an NHL Predators team.   I attended as many of their games as I could back then.

Before the Nashville South Stars (1981-83) there were the Nashville Dixie Flyers (1962-71).  I may have attended one of their games but can't say for sure.  I just remember going to a game in the late 60's - early 70's with a scout group and that could have been 1 of 3 states as I was a military brat.  The only thing I remember is there was lots of blood on the ice and side boards by the time game was over.  No face mask or helmets in those days and so lots of cut up faces whether from normal action or the all out fist to cuff brawls.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago, and everyone wanted to talk about the Preds.  They were hugely supportive. 

The most common point of respect I heard was - "Nashville sure can fill up an arena."

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I'm not quite old enough for the Dixie Flyers or the South Stars, but I did watch some Nighthawks and Knights games at Municipal.

I had a few little young ones occupying my time during the Nashville Knights, Nighthawks and Ice Flyer years so needless to say I didn't hardly do any extracurricular activities in those days.

• Like 1

The way Nashville supports its teams seems "normal" to me, but when I was in Atlanta for the NRA convention last month, I learned otherwise. My buddy and I walked by the Phillips Arena on the way to the GWCC. I saw the Hawks sign on the outside and said "oh, I guess that's where the Hawks play. I guess they're not in the playoffs this year." I mean....they're the Hawks, so it was a statistical probability they didn't make it. Plus I didn't see much in the way of Hawks banners, shirts, etc., even right by Phillips Arena. I was mistaken because they had a must-win game that very night in Round 1. That's sad. A pro team in a large city makes the playoffs, and seemingly nobody cares. I didn't see any of the downtown buildings lit up in yellow and red, no Hawks banners at every restaurant and bar, no mention on the evening news of anything special at all related to the playoffs. Maybe what Nashville has really is special. Or maybe Atlanta just sucks really bad at supporting their home teams.

Edited by monkeylizard
5 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I had a few little young ones occupying my time during the Nashville Knights, Nighthawks and Ice Flyer years so needless to say I didn't hardly do any extracurricular activities in those days.

I had forgotten about the Ice Flyers. I never went to any of their games.

Edited by monkeylizard
10 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago, and everyone wanted to talk about the Preds.  They were hugely supportive. 

The most common point of respect I heard was - "Nashville sure can fill up an arena."

Up until a few years ago I and a few college buddies did an annual fishing trips in the North Georgian Bay area of southern Ontario.  I know they see a lot of people from the US being so close to the border but just about any Canadian I came in contact with had a way better knowledge of anything US than I did of about Canada.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

You got so worked up you went from one then "too" then "two" .

I'm usually the guy that has to correct multiple spelling errors. I will not allow you to remove me from that thrown...err I mean throne :D

Well, that's what you get when you combine speech to text and a lack of proofreading before posting. I promise not to tell you what else I was doing at the time that I was making that post.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I'm not quite old enough for the Dixie Flyers or the South Stars, but I did watch some Nighthawks and Knights games at Municipal.

We used to go to the Knights games all the time! They had the best cinnamon donuts around :) My Family is from Pittsburgh so I grew up loving hockey. It should be a fun series for my family.

24 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Well that was a great big pile of suck. They really Vandy'd that 3rd period.

Yep, not hating from over here, a loss would ensure next season's ticket prices remain normal.